LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know much about that side of law, but I can't recall hearing of a case where an individual in a company can be taken as a contractual binding agent in all cases. eg. Could I phone up a BP salesperson, ask them the price of shares, and if they say 'You can have the company for a dollar' that the entire organization has to honour the agreement that one employee made? Somewhere there has to be division between corporate responsibility and individual responsibility, I'd have thought, so that a company isn't bound to whatever mistakes single employees could make.

I really don't know much about that side of law, but I can't recall hearing of a case where an individual in a company can be taken as a contractual binding agent in all cases. eg. Could I phone up a BP salesperson, ask them the price of shares, and if they say 'You can have the company for a dollar' that the entire organization has to honour the agreement that one employee made? Somewhere there has to be division between corporate responsibility and individual responsibility, I'd have thought, so that a company isn't bound to whatever mistakes single employees could make.

Um..... Reread what i wrote, its rather clear that you didn't comprehend it.

(oh and why on earth would you call up a BP salesperson to ask them the price of shares, and why the hell should they know\answer you??)

There was a similar case in the Netherlands where an online shop was selling an LCD screen for 100 euros, where in reality the thing costs at least 300 or more. It was a mistake but a lot of people ordered it online and then some customers tried to force the shop to sell it to them for that price when the mistake was discovered and corrected. However, they lost this case in court. So at least in this part of Europe, this is not the way Ostepop describes.

There was a similar case in the Netherlands where an online shop was selling an LCD screen for 100 euros, where in reality the thing costs at least 300 or more. It was a mistake but a lot of people ordered it online and then some customers tried to force the shop to sell it to them for that price when the mistake was discovered and corrected. However, they lost this case in court. So at least in this part of Europe, this is not the way Ostepop describes.

i have to clearify one thing tho, i assumed (as all my online purchases have been billed\charged immidiately) that amazon.co.uk immidiately charged you for the 14.99.

If they didn't, its a whole different ballgame

IGN

You might think I'm being too hard on Lair, but if you do, you clearly haven't played this game. Although there are levels where wide-open environments and spread-out objectives trick you into thinking the Sixaxis stuff isn't that bad, whenever a handful of enemies are on screen, your flight space becomes limited or you need to be precise, this game falls apart.

At one point, Lair looked like one of the most promising titles coming to the PS3, but the final version -- even with its interesting story, occasionally impressive graphics and amazing score -- falls well short of anything you should be playing.
IGN Ratings for Lair (PS3)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/817/817117p3.html

It's only rival is that rub a dub duck game ...

I wonder how they'd rate it if they could fix the glitches and the controls.

I don't think much better

Even if you could turn off the goodtime neutering Sixaxis controls -- and you can't -- the actual things you would be doing in the game would be a grab bag of neat and lame mechanics. Some levels will have you taking out troops on the ground via swipes or boats on the sea via fire, and that's fun. Other levels will have you fighting dragons, and that's lame.

Why would fighting dragons be lame?

Just not implemented well or the idea of fighting other dragons itself is lame?

Honestly, the first impression I got when I saw the first gameplay clips of this game was Rouge Squadron with dragons. From reading the impressions on NeoGAF, and hearing one of the people on 1 Up Yours litteraly echo my impression's my outlook for this game was getting pretty dim. Now reading the IGN review, and looking at the scores other publications (EGM and 1 Up) have awarded Lair, I am wonder what exactly went wrong with during Lair's development?

From what I have read, mandatory six axis support seems to have been a mistake, as it is imprecise and does not allow for quick 180 degree turns. The auto lock targeting also seems to be broken. Rather than allow the user to switch targets, Factor 5 opted for a system that determines that players next target for them. The most surprising aspect of this all is that game seems to be a mixed bag graphically, at least if IGN is to be believed.

It seems like Lair could have been at the very least at graphical showpiece for the PS3, but it seems to have fallen flat on its face in all areas outside of audio and presentation.

So flying with the Sixaxis in Warhawk is fine but not in Lair?

Well they better put a demo out there and put their best foot forward, because these reviews will keep people away.

7.5 Graphics
It's the definition of a mixed bag. The FMVs look awesome; the in-game stuff looks great but chugs; and the custscenes using in-game assets look framey.

This is the last thing Sony needs when trying to differentiate itself from the competition. Does the game run any better at 720p?

hahaha!

"One of the more prevalent attacks had us flying side-by-side with a bad guy and shaking our controller left to right. "

I want a demo just so I can experience this!

I'm going to get slammed for this, but I really really really hope that dev's do not force sixaxis into games. Please design the game so that it can played with out it.

It's pretty grim when Sony's "big hitters" are getting such critical reviews,
Was the hype surrounding the games far too great that the product always disappoints??

It's not what Sony need right now. I have been more and more put off by lair the more i seem to hear about it - at 14.95 it was, ok because it was cheap, but now at 30-40, i'm not so sure.

Sony really need a good demo out to sell this game, i'd have been put off heavenly sword quite a bit if not for the demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have to clearify one thing tho, i assumed (as all my online purchases have been billed\charged immidiately) that amazon.co.uk immidiately charged you for the 14.99.

If they didn't, its a whole different ballgame

Nope they don´t charge you like CD-WOW does. So in a sense it´s not a "deal" it´s an order without any money transfer being made.

While i´m sad i didn´t get two games for the half price of one i think this is fine. Rather have common sense laws than weird laws that makes lawyers fatter and richer :)

IGN

IGN Ratings for Lair (PS3)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/817/817117p3.html

It's only rival is that rub a dub duck game ...

But I love super rub-a-dub ...I finished that on gold, and I'd give it a 9, especially considering it's price. So that's not the best qualification for this review then. *sigh* Maybe they should take people from the Wii team and let them review the sixaxis games or something.

EDIT: and reading the review, it becomes obvious that this guy isn't the smartest.

"Take too long to get all the bulls -- whether it's because the computer's screwing you or because you're taking too long to turn around" ... you mean you missed the tutorial bits that I"ve seen in videos telling you you can do a 180 by jerking the sixaxis upwards? That makes his other big complaint about the lock-on system at least suspect. As likely, he just doesn't get it.

*sigh* I'm starting to get more and more sympthatetic to Wii owners, who must have gone through this stuff. Even a lot of 1up guys surprises me, in the sense that it took them a while to realise that the sixaxis stuff has a lot of depth and takes a good time learning in Warhawk, only once they saw what it got like when mastered properly by a skilled player. It's a completely new control scheme and it takes time.

Think of this bit in the 1up review of Warhawk:

1up said:
User-friendly control? A slightly reserved check, only because the novel -- and entirely optional -- motion controls take an awful lot of getting used to. (True, getting used to them is arguably worth the effort if you plan to focus on flight, since it frees up the analog sticks for more precise aiming in the air. But this is counterbalanced by the fact that motion control is an all-or-nothing affair: Enable it for aircraft and it's enabled for tanks and 4x4s as well, which is quite simply a pain.)

I mean, I just tried it myself, and the jeep drives just like Motorstorm when controlled with the sixaxis. It therefore took me 0 adjustment.

I think it's going to be a while before reviewers catch up with motion controls, it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back