KZ2 and game budgeting in general *spin-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Halo getting a lot of flak before release. The Mac guys were pissed because the "big bad wolf" that is MS bought Bungie, the PC guys were pissed that it was console exclusive, and preliminary showings had framerate and game design issues. Bungie even descibed the final months before release as "an 89 degree dive". As I recall, the general vibe was that it was going to be a flop.

"doomed by the press" does not imply forum fanboy talk, it implies the media like IGN. I searched for the E3 previews and found nothing negative. I think it was a runner up for IGNs best of E3 action games though.

And not all of us agree with you. What crowd was Gears trying to stand out from in late 2006? Microsoft did use Master Chief intelligently, but it's not like Halo 1 wasn't enormously-well received itself.

You know back in 2001 and 2002 I could not escape the constant print add/interwebs banter of how great Halo was and how EGM gave it a perfect 10 score.

Not that it was not worthy of a high score but the score was, even for the first game, very much crucial to making gamers think they were buying a crown gem.

What needs to happen with Killzone 2 and even Resistance 2 is that Sony needs to advertise it in its official magazine by way of strategy articles, comments, costumes, etc, same deal on PSN

Personally with the wave of game remakes I feel that Killzone 1 and Liberation could even be remade as far as the single player mode is by using the KZ2 engine to help eliminate those who have a hard time finding the old games and don't want to look at older gen graphics even though they still look good.

Since this thread has fallen into the pooper, I'll take it back to the appropriate discussion.

Uncharted 1 didn't have object based motion blur, Killzone 2 did.

Uncharted 2 now has object based motion blur.

I think the enhanced DOF and Lighting in Uncharted 2 (and from what I can tell watching HD videos, better AA and less tearing) may also be attributed to things learned during KZ2 development (rather, PS3 software R&D as I'd like to refer to it).

Just saying, I think we'll see a lot more of this tech sharing going on within the next few years, just little details like this.

KZ2 passed the 200k mark in the UK (same month halo3 passed 1000k, total WW is like 9million I think)
I think we can safely assume~2million WW for KZ2 so far

That means it would have had to sell much better world wide than in the US. As it fell off a cliff for April. Meaning it hasn't even broken a million yet in the US.

Heck there's a good chance it hasn't even broken 700k in the US.

619k in the first 1+ months.

Didn't even chart in April meaning somewhere south of 20th in sales. Number 10 on the chart only brought in 91k.

That may be fine for a regular title, but for a flagship title (at least with regards to budgeting and advertising) which received a bunch of media spending and attention?

So UK and US combined still doesn't break a million. Do FPS titles in Europe (including Australia and Japan) generally sell twice as much as in the US?

Regards,
SB

KZ2 didn't receive that much marketing, in comparison to games like Gears of War, Halo 3, etc. No where near that.

That said, I am sure KZ2 will break one million in each territory, but it'll be much in the same manner as Uncharted did, selling between 30 and 50K monthly for quite some time.

I saw KZ2 commercials all over TV, aimed at the right demographic and during popular shows. You can say it's marketing wasn't as effective as Gears but it otherwise it was quite out there. God knows, the Net was spammed endlessly with the people "OMG TEH KILLZONE!!!!" Overall, there was plenty of buzz around KZ2. It's certainly not a title that snuck up on people and went under the radar.

Again, people are finding any excuse outside of the game itselt having issue to excuse it's sales. The word of mouth sales clearly aren't there or it'd have some legs.

Speaking of Halo3, Halo 3 outsold KZ2 for April. A poster on gaf "anihawk" pointed it out. His credibility seems to be good on there.

KZ2 didn't receive that much marketing, in comparison to games like Gears of War, Halo 3, etc. No where near that.

That said, I am sure KZ2 will break one million in each territory, but it'll be much in the same manner as Uncharted did, selling between 30 and 50K monthly for quite some time.

I'd agree it was not as big as Halo 3, but it seemed to be the most marketed PS3 game that I can remember. I thought that its marketing was even bigger than Resistance 2. Besides the marketing, it was very much widely praised by critics which I guess can be a sort of marketing. The only negatives that I thought it received early on was its aiming/shooting lag.

I still need to play the full version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back