Kung Fu Live [PSN]

Cool. They'll be in view. If they're pretty still, and outside of the player's bounding box, they can be chopped out. If you're directly behind the player and moving a bit, it'll have issues subtracting you. This requires a throw on the couch that everyone can hide behind with just their heads peeping over!

In my experience, the game doesn't work too well if there are other people in the background. People seldom stay still. If one walk in front of the player, or is more prominent than the real player, the game will include him/her in the fight (either lumped together or replaced the original player). ^_^

I also tried the game wearing dark clothes over black furniture, and turned off the lights. It couldn't see me (as expected). But as long as there is a light source, the game is actually pretty good at detecting the player (It will brighten the image). My living room is pretty dark when fully lit with 3 lights and it works fine. I turned on only 1 light and it still works, but I have to work harder (e.g., wave your hand slightly to trigger a button, like in EyeToy). Under normal circumstances, the button will trigger without me waving my controller hand (over a button).

It is very responsive and accurate when the system is up (This is the most impressive aspect). The in-game objects (e.g., latterns, crates) react to my actions. The hit detection is also spot on. The game knows exactly where I hit the enemies.

The DS3 player(s) vs PSEye player fight is quite interesting.

WoW ! This game seems crazy :D ! I want this !
How is this stuff working so well on the PSEye, shouldn't such stuff be on Kinect. I want I want :LOL: !

Hmmmm....space. I need to measure space in my living room. Maybe I can play it while standing on my bed :p ! What did you say, you need to be 7 feet away from the Camera? Thats a lot of distance !!!

It might not work in my living room, cos when we play "Start The Party" , the camera can only see upto our waists :( !

I am too excited....gotta go n check space in my living room ! Yippee !
EDIT: OK, I can create more space by rotating the TV a little, that ways I get a diagonal space of my living room. Thats a lot of space! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How is this stuff working so well on the PSEye, shouldn't such stuff be on Kinect. I want I want :LOL: !
The game takes a picture of the scenery behind you. then with you in front, it knows which bit of the image is you because that's the bit which has changed from the background. However, if the background changes (people moving, light through a window) then it can throw the background removal off. Shadows are also a problem, changing with the player but not being part of the palyer you want to track. This has generated problems. OnQ's vid shows his shadow invading at times. Eurogramer's review was very scathing, and clearly the reviewer didn't have a good setup. There are lots of setting tweaks you can do according to the descriptions online; dunno how well they can adapt, nor how easy they are to use.

It's seamless though. The game never asks us to step out of its view at all. It all kinda works just like that, with me in the view all the time.

Joystiq reviewed the game:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/15/kung-fu-live-review/

While the gameplay generally serves its intended purpose, while unintentionally giving you one hell of a workout, it has its share of hiccups. Hits don't always register damage on foes and the camera sometimes ignores your inputs; more than once I threw my arms in the air to execute a back flip only to be left open to a head-aimed foot. If you're expecting a dedicated fighting experience, these flaws will no doubt annoy. Otherwise, you'll hardly notice them in your haze of furious feet and fists.

Back flip for me and my kid is fine. Was able to register almost 100% of the time. The trick is the distance. When you're too close (even 6 feet away may be too close for adults), raising your hands vertically will put them out of the camera's sight. What I do is I bent left or right slightly as I raise my hands quickly, the game should execute a backflip forward/backward instantly.

Unlike Move games where I can run around the living room almost randomly. In Kung Fu Live, precise movement pays off better (to prevent wandering out of the camera's sight). Both are very responsive.

More frustrating is the title's tedious calibration process. Getting yourself to appear on screen, sans gaping holes in your body, isn't easy and depends on various factors. The size of your room, its lighting conditions, the color of your clothes and how much they blend with the background all play a part. There are plenty of presets and manual ways to tweak this, but it's still a irksome task that took me over 30 minutes and a wardrobe change into the ugliest pair of sweatpants I own. The biggest deterrent is space, as the game recommends you stand at least six feet from the camera. I was well over that, and the sole of my sneaker was still introduced to my fireplace screen multiple times.

For calibration, it worked out ok for me (Was wearing royal blue sweater standing in front of a black leather couch). Usually took 10-15 seconds. For missing gap or additional fringes in background removal, they cannot be avoided and are more obvious during calibration. During gameplay, the system uses your movement to judge your shape and form more accurately. So they are not a problem.

However, the photo taking (to embed the player into comics) will suffer more because of background removal. This is where a depth camera would help tremendously.

The 7-foot play area is the main problem.

If you've got the space and the patience to play with the settings, it's worth turning your living room into a virtual dojo. In addition to gameplay that entertained me more than most Move and Kinect launch titles, the comic book setting totally sold the B-movie vibe. From wife beater-wearing thugs to slick ninja assassins, you'll take on the usual suspects in ripped-from-the-paneled-page settings such as alleys, temples, and rooftops. The comic book presentation is further supported by between-chapter cutscenes starring goofy pictures of yourself. When you've mastered the solo run, KFL invites you back for an amusing take on local multi-player that pits your air-fighting skills against up to four DualShock-wielding friends.

Hmmmm....space. I need to measure space in my living room. Maybe I can play it while standing on my bed :p ! What did you say, you need to be 7 feet away from the Camera? Thats a lot of distance !!!

It might not work in my living room, cos when we play "Start The Party" , the camera can only see upto our waists :( !

I am too excited....gotta go n check space in my living room ! Yippee !
EDIT: OK, I can create more space by rotating the TV a little, that ways I get a diagonal space of my living room. Thats a lot of space! :)

it was going to be a kinect game too but the devs said they wanted to use their own tech with this game.

kinect would fix the lighting & background removal problem that some people have but it has it's downfalls like 30fps & I think the RBG camera has to drop down to 320x240 to overlay the low res of the depth camera when used on the Xbox 360

e1btpg.jpg

your in game image might not look as good & the tracking won't be as fast

jikenr.jpg

but I don't think that will turn too many people away Your Shape worked out fine.

edit:

looks like it was only Your Shape dropping the res of the RGB camera to match the depth cam in Mel B it looks like they are using the RBG camera at full res.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was going to be a kinect game too but the devs said they wanted to use their own tech with this game.

The game is funded with the pub-fund.
You know, the publisher-program for indie developers were Sony match the developers development costs 50%, in return for a 6 month exclusive window, and they get the money back before the developers starts to get their share when the game is released. :-/
The developers own all the technology and IP for the product, but it's atleast a 6 month exclusive window.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/22/show-kung-fu-live-devs-your-moves-for-prizes/

Virtual Air Guitar Company is taking a page out of Captain Falcon's book for a Kung-Fu Live contest. In exchange for prizes, the developer is asking players, "Show us your moves."

it couldn't be easier to win the first bunch of prizes: the first 20 people to email YouTube links to their wackiest Kung-Fu Live moves will win prize packs "including a rare bandana and signed photographs of international video game celebrity 'Sensei Oskari' himself."

This little title has become an exercise game for my guy friends over here. The aim is to look good while fighting (High Kick ! Split Kick 1!!). Too bad I can't throw my enemies around. They should add that in KFF II. ^_^

:LOL: We usually tag team in the game now. Too tiring to play the game alone.

Once tagged, we'd do a flying kick into the game (or use the "Ground Shaker" leap), and then do our own rendition of "Home Fu".

Ok! I have to say , seriously, this is Game of the Year for me ! No kidding !

This game absolutely needs a video rec option. That would be the best marketing tool for it. Once folks see friends jumping around in it effortlessly, their doubts will vanish and they will buy it.

For me the setup was effortless, didn't have to change anything in my room or my clothing. Works perfectly ! More talk later, time to beat some guys with Sugarcane :LOL: ! Yes! We just got some sugarcane to chew and I am using one stick in each hand to beat the pulp out of those baddies !

Way to go VG company ! Ur the best ! Add the video rec option ASAP , then I can flood youtube with my Kungfu exploits :cool: !

Thats me in the game ! Time speed is 50% in this one. i was just chking stuff out.

Thats my nephew using a Sock and a piece of sugarcane to bash baddies up. He goes crazy with the game. This was the first time he was playing and he doesn't know the right gestures yet, but its jut fun to see kids play this game :D ! Watch him when he wins and says , "Victory!! I am the best !" :D I have to warn you we were high on fun so you might hear irritating laughter and crazed talk in there, mute if you find it irritating. The game is great at tracking even when we switch midgame !

Normally the sock-weaopn has a half-brick in the end. ;) I'd like to play this, but I don't think I have room. Need a demo.

Normally the sock-weaopn has a half-brick in the end. ;) I'd like to play this, but I don't think I have room. Need a demo.

Half-brick? I don't understand. :???:

If you see the 2nd video, I don't have a big room either. It works even in my bedroom, but on one side my legs get blocked by my bed, but the game is still playable. If you see my nephew, he gets ecxited and moves too close to the TV and his legs aren;t visible to the camera either, but the game is still playable. he doesn't feel any difference, it was only me telling him to move back again and again, but his footage is only upto the knees most of the time. The game works without legs too, but of course, its the kicks which are the most fun, but the kicks still work even if the legs show up onl;y when you kick up.

But I can understand that a demo is needed to convince people that it works. If I had not seen OnQ's videos, I wouldn't have even bothered to watch its trailers as I was convinced that it wouldn't work. That is why I wrote to the devs that they need to put in an Video rec option in the game so that people can see their friends playing this effortlessly.

The hit detection is pretty accurate. I didn't notice any "gap" or "free play" if that's what you mean. As you can see in the video, it's all very quick (instant).

The game is hard to play without enough room. You won't be able to move. The player may be able to get by at first with the double punch, which will cause him/her to lunge forward at the same time (See RenegadeRock's video). But later levels will require the player to chase after a warrior. He will probably need to flip around between multiple levels to catch her.

Back