Kotaku: Microsoft finalizing Obsidian acquisition

Fable's less of a cRPG though, more of an action RPG.
Obsidian are now a Microsoft Studio and 'accessible' action RPGs outsell pure RPGs. Look at Bethesda. And CD Projekt Red. Why else buy Obsidian? For more of the PC-centric titles Obsidian were already making on Microsoft platforms? :nope: Because Microsoft are RPG philanthropists? :nope:

I hope Obsidian don't change but.. how can they not. Maybe they'll just RPG-ify other titles. It seems popular.

Obsidian are now a Microsoft Studio and 'accessible' action RPGs outsell pure RPGs. Look at Bethesda. And CD Projekt Red. Why else buy Obsidian? For more of the PC-centric titles Obsidian were already making on Microsoft platforms? :nope: Because Microsoft are RPG philanthropists? :nope:

I hope Obsidian don't change but.. how can they not. Maybe they'll just RPG-ify other titles. It seems popular.

Buying an existing studio to *not* have them focus on their core competancy makes little sense. I expect Obsidian will be making Fallout:New Vegas, KOTOR-esque RPGs for PC and Xbox. If the desire from MGS was to create games unlike what Obsidian have created before, why would they not just have started another new studio?

If the desire from MGS was to create games unlike what Obsidian have created before, why would they not just have started another new studio?
Because of the studio's experience. Plenty of action RPGs have underwhelmed. It takes a practised hand to produce a balanced RPG with a decent story.

Because of the studio's experience. Plenty of action RPGs have underwhelmed. It takes a practised hand to produce a balanced RPG with a decent story.

Possibly. But if so, what they create will be more of a balanced RPG with a strong story that then has an added gameplay focus (facilitated by the studio expansion) as opposed to being something that will not primarily focus on the things they do well. I'm personally excited to see what they can accomplish with this kind of support behind them.

I'm personally excited to see what they can accomplish with this kind of support behind them.
Me too. They've always had to work under pressure due to time or cost reasons so having that pressure eased up on will be good.

Surely MS is going to push UWP? At some point?? Make PC games that also run on your MS tablet (good fit) and Xbox. Support KBM on XB for those games maybe?

It's already been this way, pretty much since Forza Motorsport 6:Apex. The MS Studios releases for PC have all been UWP (with one or two also getting a Steam release) and many have been Play Anywhere as well.

Side note on Windows Store: I found out a few weeks ago that somewhere along the line my Windows Store got borked on my Gaming PC in a non-typical way. I've had it break a few times and always been able to fix it using one of the common fixes, but this one seems to be a more fundamental failure that may be tied to my user account on the system. The store itself won't launch and any UWP apps (including the system default apps) won't launch either. The damning part is that I have no idea how long it was like that before I discovered it was broken and since it's been broken I've only found it to be inconvenient. At some point, I'll try a "repair" install of Windows 10 to see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
Back