Kotaku: Microsoft finalizing Obsidian acquisition

chris1515

Legend
Supporter
https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-close-to-buying-obsidian-1829614135

Microsoft is finalizing a deal to acquire the independent development studio Obsidian Entertainment, according to three people briefed on the negotiations. We don’t know if ink is on paper yet, and plenty of major acquisition deals have fallen apart in the final hours, but those close to the companies believe it is all but done.

One person with knowledge of the deal told Kotaku they’d heard it was “90%” finished. Said a second person: “It’s a matter of when, not

big deal here. really big deal.
probably more for the PC space than the xbox space, but I could be wrong about that.

Three years ago I'd have said this would be a nutty acquisition - if true. But the way more and more games are becoming more RPG-ified, perhaps not.

edit: typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
hm... I could go for a Shadowrun in the style of PoE, but whatever works for their studio plans.

Three years ago I'd can said this would be a nutty acquisition - if true. But the way more and more games are becoming more RPG-ified, perhaps not.
is that a typo or a local British (or native) expression? Just curious....

As for this rumoured acquisition.... I am not entirely sure they are right. In addition, it is a great studio, but it doesn't seem to be the typical studio for exclusive games on consoles (or Xbox consoles), where coolness plays a factor... They are circumscribed to "serious gaming" stuff if that's the term

is that a typo or a local British (or native) expression? Just curious....

As for this rumoured acquisition.... I am not entirely sure they are right. In addition, it is a great studio, but it doesn't seem to be the typical studio for exclusive games on consoles (or Xbox consoles), where coolness plays a factor... They are circumscribed to "serious gaming" stuff if that's the term

If you look at MS's line up they can really use some RPGs . So if this gets that going it could be a good thing for MS. Its interesting because this isn't the purchase I've heard about.

From the article, it seems more for PC space but it will help Xbox too.

I don't agree with either of you that this is "more for the PC". Many of Obsidian's RPGs were significant on console. KOTOR II, Fallout:New Vegas and South Park:The Stick of Truth being the most notable.

I don't agree with either of you that this is "more for the PC". Many of Obsidian's RPGs were significant on console. KOTOR II, Fallout:New Vegas and South Park:The Stick of Truth being the most notable.

It is not my opinion but coming from Kotaku article

A person familiar with goings-on at Microsoft said the company has been looking to bolster its PC development, which makes the PC-focused Obsidian a perfect fit.

It is not my opinion but coming from Kotaku article

Fair enough. I disagree with the author's opinion, then. Obsidian are currently PC-focused due to lack of resources. When they have had the resources to pursue console development, they have done so. Being a part of Microsoft will give them those resources.

Good news as long as MS is hands-off or at the least minimally hands-on.

Still, I'd love to see what Obsidian could do with a proper AAA budget and just enough managerial oversight to keep them on track.

A bunch of things got cut from Pillars of Eternity 2 due to lack of funds (the biggest of which is the sidequests for companion characters which is significantly reduced compared to the first game and which was one of the best parts of the first game).

Regards,
SB

Good news as long as MS is hands-off or at the least minimally hands-on.

Still, I'd love to see what Obsidian could do with a proper AAA budget and just enough managerial oversight to keep them on track.

I completely expect more Pillars-style RPGs with less things cut. The core experience is very slick.

Back