Microsoft moves into chip world with Xbox Next

eh, can't I retract my comments on ATI east coast? I probably should not have said what I did there. was made in haste :oops:

I'm sure their ranks have been beefed up anyway. plus, they have Real3D people. forgot 8)

The "NV2A" that's in XBox is pretty primitive by todays standards, particularly WRT shaders. Even if they just had an R350 in XboxNext it would be a huge improvement. I'm sure whatever ATI comes up with will blow the original system out of the water. :oops:

How it will compare to Playstation 3 is anyones guess though.

nobie said:
How it will compare to Playstation 3 is anyones guess though.

:LOL: Exactly, or we might say "what PS3 will actually DO is anyones guess"...
I mean, we're not even sure it will keep rendering graphics the way it's done today, with all this Reyes talk....
I think polygons will still be around for a long time, but maybe it's just me...

This would prove Paul statements if you know that Flipper was designed and sold at a particular process, but we don't know that, as we've just proved.
Sure, but then again ATi must have some idea where to draw the line. They aren't very well going to design something MS can't fab in time for a 2005 launch; assuming that everyone IS still targetting '05. Anyone care to tender a shortlist of fab partners for MS, stating which of these can deliver a 65nm part?

SedentaryJourney said:
This would prove Paul statements if you know that Flipper was designed and sold at a particular process, but we don't know that, as we've just proved.
Sure, but then again ATi must have some idea where to draw the line. They aren't very well going to design something MS can't fab in time for a 2005 launch; assuming that everyone IS still targetting '05. Anyone care to tender a shortlist of fab partners for MS, stating which of these can deliver a 65nm part?

IBM? ;)

SedentaryJourney said:
That's a damn short list alright. I wonder why MS didn't ink a manufacturing deal with them from the get go.

well, all rumours seem to go to one point: IBM...

seems like next generation is gonna be one big family... with all these intricacies, IBM working for Sony, MS and maybe Nint.. ATi working for MS and Nint...
gonna be VERY interesting, can't wait...

Maybe MS can get TMSC or CSM or Fishkill to do their chips. Heard that those guys and others are moving to 65nm by 2004/5.

BUT i agree with Dave. MS has thrown much surprise with X2. ;)
Heheheee, now where are the cat calls that goes, "XBox2? Boooring! I know yeay! Same old PC crap, same old x86, same old Intel, same old Nvidia! ~~yawn~~~" :LOL: :oops: :LOL:

You have to admit that what MS chose was pretty much the most unexpected options they had. However, I do not understand that "Chapost" (following london-boy´s criteria of silly posts:) ). What is its point? Is it "Hey, my favorite hardware isn´t as boring as people thought, yay!"? Or is it "Maybe X2 will be made at 65nm"?

If it´s the latter, you can pretty much discount that, chap. MS making a console at the 65nm node is the most unlikely scenario possible, and AFAIK those fabs won´t be anywhere near ready to produce enough chips for MS for a 2005 launch, IF they decide to actually go for a design at 65nm. Granted, it´s a possibility, but I´d classify its plausability to be as big as my chances of winning the lottery tomorrow.

Although, I do wonder, why are you even interested in the process MS uses for XB2? Weren´t you desperate to disprove its importance in another thread (despite your obvious ignorance on the subject)? Why would you care now and even seem excited about the possibility?

Almasy said:
You have to admit that what MS chose was pretty much the most unexpected options they had. However, I do not understand that "Chapost" (following london-boy´s criteria of silly posts:) ).

OI!!! what now? :D

Although, I do wonder, why are you even interested in the process MS uses for XB2?
Me? interested? nayh, im quite passive over it, i go for the end picture. BUT im sure you can see/read/understand that, me and guys like dave and gerry are just questioning where that strong sense of confidence the naysayers are getting? ;)

However, I do not understand that "Chapost" (following london-boy´s criteria of silly posts:) ). What is its point? Is it "Hey, my favorite hardware isn´t as boring as people thought, yay!"? Or is it "Maybe X2 will be made at 65nm"?
The point is simply questioning naysayers, one of em being you, is where does the confidence of Xbox2 knowhow be coming from...? Im sure you can read past posts in this topic, or just you chose to ignore you fellow naysayers' posts? :oops:

Back