Just Cause 2

Well, I didn't make the benchmark, so I can't take any form of credit for that. The last four lines are all mine though. :p

Well I'm getting 59.93 with v-sync on with it and about 89.something with it off, but who the heck games with v-sync off?

New CCC profile for Just Cause 2 coming out Monday, or you can grab it from Rage3D now. My benchmark results were from before the new profiles too, the game really runs sweet!

I don't notice it at all on my 120hz LCD, whereas both my older 60hz monitors are very prone.

You'll still get tearing no matter the refresh. Without vsync, the monitor and video card will be outputting/displaying frames without any regard for each other. It shows up most obviously in areas with flashing/flickering lights.

If you have triple buffering, vsync shouldn't have any drawbacks aside from a slightly longer lag time... Humus has said that JC2 is good to go there.

With a higher refresh rate output device, vsync + triple buffering is the ideal setup unless you are after the fastest response time above all else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shadows disappoint

Seems like a fun game. Too bad that the shadows are a fugly mess. It's about as bad as having no AA! Yes, I tested with MSAA disabled (shudder) and the resulting crawlies weren't really any more distracting.

Setting shadow quality to "high" doesn't really help, as the filter is applied only a short distance with a very obvious cutoff. Also, it looks a bit weird, both noisy and smeared out.

"High-res shadows" is no solution either. The shadows still look a bit low-res both at near and medium distance, and the crossover line is all too visible in motion.

Moreover, I noticed that some object shadows fade in from nothing. This would perhaps have been a good optimisation if it happened much further away.

Hmm, this isn't just my system, is it? (9800GT, 196.21, Win7 32-bit)

Anyway, I'm on the fence about this game at the moment. I'll probably end up buying it in a couple of years at bargain price.

I was actually very impressed with the shadows, handled the LOD quite well, and the soft shadowing looks great. Most game's with global dynamic shadows handle them much worse, with either jarring aliasing or poorly handled LOD transitions.

http://www.hostanyimage.com/files/97958115832501693861.png
http://www.hostanyimage.com/files/23242415672779197096.png
Notice how the shadow of the bush disappears as you move a bit further away (second screen). Also look at how the shadow of the palm tree on the right abruptly goes from soft and sparkly to blocky. (Note: These shots may look better than what I see while playing, depending on viewing distance and your monitor's resolution.) And this is with shadow quality at high, high-res shadows on. I'd have to play at 1280x800 with these settings. Not that I mind low resolution, that's easy to ignore.

But worst is the shadow aliasing in motion. Screenshots can't really show this.

I'd rather turn shadows off completely. I prefer less detail over aliasing.

Its a (smart) optimisation so that the game runs at a decent framerate, seems a fair tradeoff to me, as they're much better than what you see in most games. You can quite easily spot the shadow transitions in even Crysis if you're looking for them, so I don't know why you're expecting perfect shadows from a multiplatform title that can run well on a 8600gt.

SSAO totaly kills my framerate when I'm in a firefight or in populated areas. I'm running at 1680x1050 with 4XAA 8XAF everything on MAX with V-Sync ON (high or very high depending on what's available). Specs are i7 i920, 4Gb DRR3, Radeon 5870 with the 10.3 catalyst, Win7... Tunring off SSAO kinda fixes the issue (and I don't see much of diff in term of IQ). Anybody experiencing the same thing?
The benchmark is a bit useless given that it's just a flyby without any other character/object moving etc... My score (with the settings above) is 76Fps (with SSAO on high) and 93Fps (with SSAO Off).

BTW the Game/Demo rocks!

Its a (smart) optimisation so that the game runs at a decent framerate, seems a fair tradeoff to me, as they're much better than what you see in most games. You can quite easily spot the shadow transitions in even Crysis if you're looking for them, so I don't know why you're expecting perfect shadows from a multiplatform title that can run well on a 8600gt.

Simply using less detail would have been better, at least as far as I'm concerned. I'd be happy with UT2003-like graphics. Or better yet, optionally allow less aggressive optimisations.

I'm not expecting perfect shadows. But we're in 2010, so I do expect aliasing and conspicuous LOD transition artifacts to be kept in check. And I don't care if other games are worse. I'm not playing them.

Simply using less detail would have been better, at least as far as I'm concerned. I'd be happy with UT2003-like graphics. Or better yet, optionally allow less aggressive optimisations.

I'm not expecting perfect shadows. But we're in 2010, so I do expect aliasing and conspicuous LOD transition artifacts to be kept in check. And I don't care if other games are worse. I'm not playing them.

How is UT2003 a fair comparison? I doesn't use any dynamic shadows at all, everything's baked and static. Global dynamic shadows are very resource intensive but are essential for the game considering its dynamic nature and day-night cycle, so compromises have to be made.

I could see your point if you were on the bleeding edge, but when you're rocking a 8800GT it seems a silly criticism to make, getting rid of any shadow and LOD optimisations would bring the engine to an utter crawl on hardware like that in such a huge and dynamic world. So what you're asking for is something that you wouldn't be able to use in the end anyway, which seems a little silly. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for providing the end-user with more options and customisation but I just feel your criticism is a little misplaced here as Humus and his colleagues have clearly gone to great lengths to provide just that and it delivers much more than most similar titles.

SSAO totaly kills my framerate when I'm in a firefight or in populated areas. I'm running at 1680x1050 with 4XAA 8XAF everything on MAX with V-Sync ON (high or very high depending on what's available). Specs are i7 i920, 4Gb DRR3, Radeon 5870 with the 10.3 catalyst, Win7... Tunring off SSAO kinda fixes the issue (and I don't see much of diff in term of IQ). Anybody experiencing the same thing?
The benchmark is a bit useless given that it's just a flyby without any other character/object moving etc... My score (with the settings above) is 76Fps (with SSAO on high) and 93Fps (with SSAO Off).

BTW the Game/Demo rocks!

You tried forcing the engine's alternative AO implementation via the commandline? Or tried setting SSAO to medium perhaps?

You tried forcing the engine's alternative AO implementation via the commandline? Or tried setting SSAO to medium perhaps?

HBAO? Nope didn't try it yet. Tried SSAO at Low & Medium (there's praticaly no IQ difference between the 3 levels) and framerate still goes down the shitter once I hit small towns or even heavy vegetation. I guess that a 5970 is needed here lol.

How is UT2003 a fair comparison? I doesn't use any dynamic shadows at all, everything's baked and static. Global dynamic shadows are very resource intensive but are essential for the game considering its dynamic nature and day-night cycle, so compromises have to be made.
OK, perhaps not the best reference point. How about Far Cry then? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but at high settings, the shadow maps never made me think "Wow, that looks crap". In this demo it happened right at the very first area.

My point is, I would have been fine with simpler graphics as long as they were free from distracting artifacts. I see lots of little details and effects that must have a performance cost and are not strictly necessary to support the gameplay and create atmosphere.

I could see your point if you were on the bleeding edge, but when you're rocking a 8800GT it seems a silly criticism to make, getting rid of any shadow and LOD optimisations would bring the engine to an utter crawl on hardware like that in such a huge and dynamic world. So what you're asking for is something that you wouldn't be able to use in the end anyway, which seems a little silly.
I'm sure I could have used it with resolution and other settings low enough. If not, well, time for an upgrade.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for providing the end-user with more options and customisation but I just feel your criticism is a little misplaced here as Humus and his colleagues have clearly gone to great lengths to provide just that and it delivers much more than most similar titles.
I'm sorry, but it's still not good enough. Well, it also has some options I don't care about. Focused on the wrong things in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but it's still not good enough. Well, it also has some options I don't care about. Focused on the wrong things in my opinion.
Yes, you do appear focused on the wrong things. I believe we can agree.

Now, on to play with the demo for a few more hours before bed :D The framerate cap is fantastic Humus, I can now play with 8xAA without so much as a hitch! Much, much better...

Am I right in assuming if this is bought retail it will still link to and download from steam like a normal steam game since it's using steamworks?

I only ask because the retail version has the limited edition and is also slightly cheaper.

Limited edition goodies.

rm100111lq.jpg

Back