Just Cause 2

With OpenCL you should have similar capabilities, but DirectCompute is limited.
The problem with OpenCL is that the implementations are still young, so there are bugs and quirks to work out, so CUDA is the safe bet.

100307justcause2.png

Hey Humus, is it alright if I hack the timer for the demo...I really like this game. ;)

Well, I don't know what the official Square Enix or Avalanche policy is on this matter, and it might differ from how I feel, but on a personal level I don't mind if people do demo timer hacks. To me it's just a sign that people really like the game since they bother to do all this stuff just to be able to play more.

Any way to cap the framerate, Humus? No way I'm managing a constant 60fps on GTX 260 so i'd probably prefer a perfect 30fps instead if its an option.

Well, there's no such option, but I suppose it would be a 5 minute job to add because there's already code in the game for that, but it's only used on the consoles, because PC gamers generally want to get the highest framerate possible. If you want stable framerate you can generally just enable Vsync.

I hate the voice of BOlo SantosIIH, btw.

I loved the outrageousness of Just Cause 1 and I am so happy Just Cause 2 has kept it. I am also happy that the depth has been increased.

For those who like maximum control, here's a list of commandline options you can use. Some just map to standard options, some not. Commandline options override stored settings. No guarantees, use with care, etc. etc.

Code:
/failsafe       Run in failsafe mode (ignore settings)
/fullscreen     Fullscreen mode
/windowed       Windowed mode
/width=n        Width in pixels  (fullscreen/windowed)
/height=n       Height in pixels (fullscreen/windowed)
/widthFS=n      Width in pixels  (fullscreen)
/heightFS=n     Height in pixels (fullscreen)
/widthW=n       Width in pixels  (windowed)
/heightW=n      Height in pixels (windowed)
/msaa=n         MSAA sample count
/vsync=b        Enable/disable V-sync
/aniso=n        Anisotropic filter (0-7, default: 7)
/shadows=n      Shadow quality (0-2, default: 1)
/shadowres=n    Shadow resolution (0-1, default: 0)
/ssao=b         Enable/disable SSAO (default: disabled)
/hbao=b         Enable/disable HBAO method for SSAO (default: enabled)
/plspec=b       Enable/disable pointlight specular (default: disabled)
/posteffects=b  Enable/disable posteffects (default: enabled)
/lodfactor=n    Geometric detail (0-3, default: 0)
/decals=b       Enable/disable decals
/edgefade=b     Enable/disable edge fade effect
/filmgrain=b    Enable/disable film grain effect

Now must figure out how to access console...

Hmm triple buffering is not enabled in this game. Use D3DOverrider to dramatically increase your FPS.

For those who like maximum control, here's a list of commandline options you can use. Some just map to standard options, some not. Commandline options override stored settings. No guarantees, use with care, etc. etc.

Thanks Humus you do something all devs should do, props to you!

Also higher value is better or?

/filmgrain=b Enable/disable film grain effect

Is this what is used in the ingame cutscene at the start? Because it looks horrible fyi. Looks far too overdone. Otherwise the rest of the demo looks and runs fantastically on my 5770. Very nice engine and kudos to you and the rest of the dev team Humus.

Go to Steam, right click on the game demo entry, click on Properties, then go to "Set Launch Options..." and type in the field the commands you want, separated by a space stroke. ;)

Will posteffects disable the camera motion blur? What other effects will it disable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fellix.

I recommend SSAO over HBAO as it is much more subtle (as it should be), especially in the broad daylight.

Humus, if there's any way you could patch in a 30fps framerate cap that would be aces. Or maybe there's a console command for it?

Humus,

What is up with the shadows in this demo on ATI card? From a distance they look fine (detail of the image it's shadowing). But when you get close to one it turns into a speckled blob losing all detail.

Hmm triple buffering is not enabled in this game. Use D3DOverrider to dramatically increase your FPS.

It should not be needed, and last time I checked it did not affect performance as expected. We don't render to the backbuffer except at the very end of a frame, so two buffers plus the main render targets are in practice pretty much triple buffering.

Also higher value is better or?

Generally, yeah. Or subjective in some cases.

Is this what is used in the ingame cutscene at the start?

I never liked it very much either, but I'm more disturbed by the edge fade. I will play with both disabled though. The first cutscene is quite dark though which makes the filmgrain more apparent. It usually looks better, even though personally I like it turned off.

Will posteffects disable the camera motion blur? What other effects will it disable?

Humus, if there's any way you could patch in a 30fps framerate cap that would be aces. Or maybe there's a console command for it?

There's none now. I will not promise any features though. I'm not even on the JC2 project right now.

Humus,

What is up with the shadows in this demo on ATI card? From a distance they look fine (detail of the image it's shadowing). But when you get close to one it turns into a speckled blob losing all detail.

You mean soft shadows? If you prefer sharp shadows you can set shadows to medium.

Humus,

They look like this for you?

This was taken on an NVIDIA card. Other than the noise they look okay to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Humus,

I don't see this behavior on my rig with the 10.2 WHQL drivers and a VisionTek 5850 on Vista 64 on all the highest settings (except AA is at 4x instead of 8x)

It should not be needed, and last time I checked it did not affect performance as expected. We don't render to the backbuffer except at the very end of a frame, so two buffers plus the main render targets are in practice pretty much triple buffering.

I don't doubt your technical knowledge of the situation :smile: but triple buffering is clearly not enabled by default. FPS jumps from 75 to 37 to 25 with vsync enabled through the game options.

With vsync and triple buffering forced via D3DOverrider I get smooth transitions and generally ~45-50FPS in the base pictured here.

vsync through game options

vsync + TB through D3DOverrider

Here is a sanity check with the D3DOverrider method to make sure vsync is in fact enabled. FPS is clearly capped at 75Hz and in fast panning there is no visible tearing.

There's none now. I will not promise any features though. I'm not even on the JC2 project right now.

Ah well, if you ever have a chance to add such a thing I will love you long time :D

I don't doubt your technical knowledge of the situation :smile: but triple buffering is clearly not enabled by default. FPS jumps from 75 to 37 to 25 with vsync enabled through the game options.

With vsync and triple buffering forced via D3DOverrider I get smooth transitions and generally ~45-50FPS in the base pictured here.

I revisited this, but my conclusion is the same as the last time I tested. Triple buffering has no effect on the framerate in this game. The framerate never locks to any fraction of the refreshrate.

Ah well, if you ever have a chance to add such a thing I will love you long time :D

I have added this feature now, along with a couple of other fixes/features. I will make no guarantee that it's going to make it out in an update, but chances are it will. We already pushed out an update for the demo on Steam to fix a few crashes we were seeing in the Steam crash reports.

I have added this feature now, along with a couple of other fixes/features. I will make no guarantee that it's going to make it out in an update, but chances are it will. We already pushed out an update for the demo on Steam to fix a few crashes we were seeing in the Steam crash reports.
What other features might you have added? And how might those be accessed (of course, if/when your build change makes it to prod)? :cool:

Back