J. Allard interview by Hiroshige Goto pt.2

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0603/kaigai185.htm

So here's the part 2 of the interview (the part 1 is here)
It seems now Goto asks questions with other PC Watch interviews with SCE personell such as Chatani and Kutaragi in his mind.

Goto: How do you look at the PS3 architecture? It takes a very different approach from that of XBOX 360.

Allard: I was asked who is the winner of the next-gen. The answer is simple. IBM. IBM that designs all of next-gen game consoles is the biggest winner (laugh)

In various ways, I'd suspected Sony's announcement would have something more. Yet basically it's only the technical spec. About the technical spec, I think it has some misleading points in the comparison of the 2 systems' performance. You'll find an interesting thing if you look at those specs more macroscopically by comparing the transistor counts.

The transistor counts for those two are almost the same. We and Sony arrange the same number of transistors at the same timing. Since the transistor counts are the same, the relative performances aren't much different. The only problem is how you arrange the transistors.

I think (between Sony and MS) there's a fundamental difference in where to put priority. The biggest difference is we give priority on what game developers want. Fon instance we didn't take a split memory architecture. We adopted the 512MB unified memory architecture, for no developer wants memories split by 256MB like PS3. This flexibility can be a strength of XBOX 360.

G: But, because of the heterogeneous architecture of simple CPU cores, Cell has twice the floating point power of the XBOX 360 CPU.

A: They are right on their claim. Indeed their FP performance is twice of ours in the system totals. It's because their hardware is designed for FP operations. But what you forget is, in today's game programs FP operations are 20% and the rest 80% are general integer operations or operations such as branching. They ignore that part. Integer operations are the most computation-cycle demanding part in game programs. Now, XBOX 360 has 3 times the integer processing performance of Cell.

One more important point is the eDRAM in the ATI part. This is another plus against PS3. Both XBOX 360 and PS3 have 512MB memory so it seems 10MB eDRAM makes no difference. However it becomes a different story if it's put on the graphics chip. If a super wide-bandwidth memory is connected with the graphics chip, it allows a shader program to access the memory with a very low latency.

You can conclude that XBOX 360 equals to PS3 by the transistor counts. But, for the arrangement of transistors, I think we could win by optimizing it to the need of game developers. For a system like a game console that is complicated and highly refined, the true key is software. It's indisputable that we can deliver better softwares.

G: How do you look at the difference that XBOX 360 CPU is symmetric multicore and Cell is asymmetric multicore?

A: I think it's an advantage as programmers have experienced multiprocessing already. In the PC side, Intel is migrating to the same type of architecture. So, even if a programmer is not accustomed to multiprocessing, he can get information as much as he want since all books, tools, and lectures at universities focus on this style of programming.

As a computer geek I like the spec of PS3 and from the viewpoint of an electronic engineer it's very interesting, it's interesting also from computer science. But the important thing is games, and developers.

For developers, it's not so easy to understand a whole architecture. So it gets important to offer a software. Then, with the more complicated hardware, Sony has to offer software tools better than ours. But we'll be able to offer better softwares as we are experienced in such things.

G: In the CPU business, processors dedicated to stream processing of data, such as Cell SPE, are catching attention.

A: For Cell SPE, synchronization can be a problem. Also the cache will be a problem too. I think they have not disclosed all the details about the cache architecture. Anyway, these problems will be bottlenecks for the system like in PS2.

G: SCE says "let's create whole computer entertainment beyond games." It's the vision that by creating a wonderful platform for computer entertainment you can also play games on it. Furthermore, they hope to change the computing paradigm by an innovative architecture.

A: Are they serious? (laugh)

I think the focus at E3 should be properly set on games. It was about games also at the press conference.

However, it's not that we ignore entertainment beyond games. I briefly mentioned about such experiences by XBOX 360 too. For example, we told about the innovation that allows us to hear all music we want in a game play. You can have fun by connecting USB tools like music players and digital cameras, you can make photo slide shows, you can voicechat with friends on the internet.

If you want to deliver such experiences, not technologies, to people, you have to explain them more concretely. How Gigabit Ethernets relate to entertainment, how 2 HDMI ports that support 1080 dots HDTVs relate to entertainment. I'm interesed in what experiences those design decisions by Mr. Kutaragi lead to.

My desicion is the fusion of hardware and software service, and it offers users unbelievable experiences. We focus on experiences and design a hardware to realize those experiences. It's different from making a hardware and afterwards thinking about services.

G: The approach of SCE in which the vision was presented rather than the game itself got a favorable reception.

A: You remember PS2 had an IEEE1394 port. It had an HDD port and a USB port. Besides, do you remember what they told about PS2 in '98-'99? They talked about a big dream like changing the computing paradigm and talked about the future of comprehensive computer entertainment. Internet browser, LCD screen, mouse... they talked about various things but almost nothing realized.

Why? It's simple. The important thing is experience, namely games. Unless focusing on there it makes no sense. Therefore we design a product for games.

G: How do you look at the vision of Cell computing by SCE?

A: I want to create an amazing game. No customer wants to buy a new distributed computing paradigm (laugh)

G: More real game graphics becomes, more important the reality of behavior of in-game characters and objects gets. It's because a real picture that doesn't move realistically is unnatural. So I expect physics simulation will be more important down the road...?

A: There are many factors that lead next-gen games to success. If you focus only on realism, then your opinion that physics is important is right. For other factors, for instance, I point out that lighting is also important. The ability to generate textures and geometries in realtime that I call "procedural synthesis" is important too. Even if you create a forest with perfect lighting and a perfect design, it'll be unnatural if all trees are the same. Why we write a program to generate a tree, why we write a program to generate textures to be pasted on trees, that's because they all look different.

These things are also important for realism, I think. So at E3 we made a 90 seconds trailer that focused on how this synthesis looks visually.

But, I want to repeat, from such a technical viewpoint, the both platforms, XBOX 360 and PS3 are very alike. If you look at the total performances the both can do the same things.

G: Do you think the high performance of next-gen consoles will innovate games? There are voices that only with hardware specs there'll be no differences.

A: Looking back, there were 4 important game ideas in these 10 years. Pokemon, Grand Theft Auto, Sim Series, and Halo. All of these had no special 90 seconds trailers. Halo is the only one with amazing graphics, physics and realism.

Therefore I think we should expand the concept of what to challeng to. I think Realism and physics are important factors. But you should not forget that what drives this industry is a great innovation.

A platform and an innovation on it have a close relationship. The PC platform is a right platform to innovate Sim Series. If you see the combination of Gameboy and Pokemon you know it's a right platform too. We did all kinds of things to make Halo a success on the XBOX platform. Xbox was a platform to innovate Halo. But, for GTA, graphics was not important. It's innovative that it's a new game metaphor.

By looking things like this, you know you should be cautious about the view that the spec drives gaming. I believe I designed a super high-performance system with competitive power that surpasses Sony's.

But the task we have is to make game developers think about the future. For that purpose experience is more important than technology. What kind of new game experiences we can promote, what new services we can offer. By that service, developers can innovate and offer users new ideas.

A new idea may be a thing that has unbelievable realism, graphics, and physics that exploits XBOX 360 power like Halo in XBOX 1. Or, it may be just a wonderful idea like GTA. To produce various innovative games, not only technical specs but also hardware, software and service, all should be offered as one, that's the important thing we think.

I know he's MS, and we can't expect him to be unbiased in his responses...but someone needs to tell him about SPE integer performance. Unless I'm very much misinformed, Cell should have X360's CPU comfortably beat in that particular area. Something tells me someone's feeding him info and he's throwing it out there without much thought.

A very aggressive interview I have to say..nearly every question was pitting him against PS3.

The ability to generate textures and geometries in realtime that I call "procedural synthesis" is important too.

<Dr. Evil> Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Titanio said:
I know he's MS, and we can't expect him to be unbiased in his responses...but someone needs to tell him about SPE integer performance. Unless I'm very much misinformed, Cell should have X360's CPU comfortably beat in that particular area. Something tells me someone's feeding him info and he's throwing it out there without much thought.

I think you may misunderstand what the term "Integer Performance" means in this context. It's not just how fast the SPE can do an integer multiply. It includes all the operations needed to run a general purpose program. In particular there are areas where the SPE does very badly, such as random access to main memory and branching.

Some strong evidence that this is true is the existance of a general purpose CPU core on Cell. If the SPEs were any good at all at running general purpose code, then you could drop the general purpose CPU.

He doesn't see how 1080p displays relate to entertainment?

But isn't this the "HD Era"? Aren't MS the ones giving away HDTVs free as a gimmick to GDC attendees?

I love how everything is important to MS until the opposition comes up with "actually we're going to have more of that, more of this, and two of those..." and then they start downplaying it again...

But this is my favourite:

"A: Looking back, there were 4 important game ideas in these 10 years. Pokemon, Grand Theft Auto, Sim Series, and Halo. All of these had no special 90 seconds trailers. Halo is the only one with amazing graphics, physics and realism. "

What? Is he actually serious?

It was a good game, probably a classic game, and it was important mostly because it sold a lot of XBoxes... but one of only "4 important" games in the last 10 years?

I want some of what he's smoking.

So, why don't they use floats if the performance is higher? Is it that even though floating point performance is higher than the XeCPU, it's still faster to use integers?

shaderguy said:
I think you may misunderstand what the term "Integer Performance" means in this context. It's not just how fast the SPE can do an integer multiply. It includes all the operations needed to run a general purpose program. In particular there are areas where the SPE does very badly, such as random access to main memory and branching.

Some strong evidence that this is true is the existance of a general purpose CPU core on Cell. If the SPEs were any good at all at running general purpose code, then you could drop the general purpose CPU.

I've heard this explanation before - perhaps you mentioned it - that "Integer Processing" was an umbrella term for anything involved in that nice nebulous concept of "general purpose" processing, but Allard mentions seperately in the same sentence about branch ops ("80% are general integer operations or operations such as branching") which suggests he was referring to specific individual types of operation in isolation. In terms of integer ops - working on integers - Cell should have XeCPU beat.

There's also the increasing suggestion that XeCPU may not be all that good for "general purpose processing" itself anyway.

I just don't think Allard isn't really all that aware of the hardware side of things. I'm not sure if it's coincidence that he started parroting on about this kind of stuff around the same time Major Nelson posted his comparison articles.

But the task we have is to make game developers think about the future. For that purpose experience is more important than technology. What kind of new game experiences we can promote, what new services we can offer. By that service, developers can innovate and offer users new ideas.
Excellent point. It's not just about the technical specs witness by the fact that the most successful game this gen was a crappy looking one. It's not about how many integer functions a spe can pull off vs. a ppc. The true question is which big corporation has that exclusive title that no one saw coming that will bring gamers something new and compelling that everyone must have. We will see.

Because MS is at least ten times more evil than Sony? :LOL: JK

Actually, i am getting tired of this apple vs orange comparison between Xbox360 and PS3, I am gonna hold judgement until I see actually games..or at least until we can find concrete spec and architecture of both consoles.

I find this quote one of the most interesting:

A: You remember PS2 had an IEEE1394 port. It had an HDD port and a USB port. Besides, do you remember what they told about PS2 in '98-'99? They talked about a big dream like changing the computing paradigm and talked about the future of comprehensive computer entertainment. Internet browser, LCD screen, mouse... they talked about various things but almost nothing realized.

Not because Allard is right, which of course he is - but because it was Microsoft's own fear of Sony indeed succeeding in changing the paradigm in line with what they were stating at the time that got Microsoft to take the plunge into the console market in the first place, in order to counter the threat. I guess it's ironic to hear Allard talk about it so nonchalantly when it's his division's entire reason for existence.

Titanio said:
There's also the increasing suggestion that XeCPU may not be all that good for "general purpose processing" itself anyway.

Well, if we are going to rely on Ars Technica for this conclusion it is only fair to repeat the whole sentiment: i.e. to paraphrase he said something like PS3 fanbois should not get to excited because the PS3 is even worse in these situations.

If the 3 XeCPU cores with branch prediction, random memory accesses, and so forth are going to struggle at times with gp code, the CELL with 1 PPC core is going to be worse. And general purpose code is not a strength of the SPEs (they are worse than the PPE). So the question is would you rather have 3 bad CPUs or 1 bad CPU?

Anyhow, limited cache and in order execution would be huge hurdles if these were going to be on an open format like the PC or Mac. Having a closed box with a limited function (i.e. 3D games which require a lot of data streaming) should reduce some of the issues of getting good performance out of the XeCPUs and PPE for general purpose code. And programmers are just going to have to design to the SPEs strengths if they wish to exploit the immense potential they have (but that was always a given).

xbdestroya said:
Not because Allard is right, which of course he is - but because it was Microsoft's own fear of Sony indeed succeeding in changing the paradigm in line with what they were stating at the time that got Microsoft to take the plunge into the console market in the first place, in order to counter the threat. I guess it's ironic to hear Allard talk about it so nonchalantly when it's his division's entire reason for existence.

Come now, do you know that it is "[the] division's entire reason for existence"?

MS had been involved in games for a long while. They had encouraged that the PC be used as a gaming platform.

MS was obviously aware of the fact that Nintendo was making a killing in this market and that Sony was able to jump right into the market with the PS and take a commanding lead. MS could have easily gone, "If Sony can just jump in and make a big dent in this VERY profitable business we can do it too. We specialize in software and already have a game devision and dominate an entire platform. Why not leverage that and take a cut out of what Nintendo and Sony are makring?"

There is also the issue of the digital hub in the living room. I am not convinced that the digital hub will replace the family computer. We predict the death of formats all the time... so far the PC has proven very resilient with billions of R&D from massive corperations every year. They have an investment to make it evolve and stay relevant (and 200M yearly sales says it still is). Anyhow, MS wants to be in everything. By being the OS/provider of the digital hub they can leverage their PC dominance with services and software. It is a natural extension for them and allow them to reach more potentual customers. So while I do not see a "revolution" and the replacement of the PC, I can see how there is a new niche market appearing and MS wanted a part in the action.

Anyhow, I do believe it is a gross overstatement to say MS only got involved in the living room as a protective measure. There is a mountain of profit to be made in selling games. And I can think of no better way to upsell products and services than to have a box in someones house. Not to mention porting console games to the PC keeps the PC alive and healthy.

Acert93 said:
Anyhow, I do believe it is a gross overstatement to say MS only got involved in the living room as a protective measure. There is a mountain of profit to be made in selling games. And I can think of no better way to upsell products and services than to have a box in someones house. Not to mention porting console games to the PC keeps the PC alive and healthy.

Hey, I'm only going on the plethora of business articles and news I read at the time stating that as Microsoft's reason for being there (in the console business) - one article in Fortune stood out especially, but of course I'll never be able to find it now. And I mispoke when I said the entire division - rather the XBox. I remember all the business news surrounding the Playstation 2's purported future domination of the living room, and how the PC would in part become antiquated. It doesn't much matter that that line of thinkign ended up being completely premature - it's more the idea I'm trying to convey of how pervasive that thinking was at the time.

I also remember reading about the process of getting the team who was internally designing the XBox to finally secure a meeting with Bill Gates to pitch him on the idea, and when they finally did meet him, I can assure you it was not to pitch a machine to get a piece of the video game market - it has from day 1 been planned to be so much more. We've both discussed this point in other threads, and though we come at it from different angles I think we agree for the most part, so I won't harp on it. ;)

Acert93 said:
Titanio said:

Well, if we are going to rely on Ars Technica for this conclusion it is only fair to repeat the whole sentiment: i.e. to paraphrase he said something like PS3 fanbois should not get to excited because the PS3 is even worse in these situations.

If the 3 XeCPU cores with branch prediction, random memory accesses, and so forth are going to struggle at times with gp code, the CELL with 1 PPC core is going to be worse. And general purpose code is not a strength of the SPEs (they are worse than the PPE). So the question is would you rather have 3 bad CPUs or 1 bad CPU?

Anyhow, limited cache and in order execution would be huge hurdles if these were going to be on an open format like the PC or Mac. Having a closed box with a limited function (i.e. 3D games which require a lot of data streaming) should reduce some of the issues of getting good performance out of the XeCPUs and PPE for general purpose code. And programmers are just going to have to design to the SPEs strengths if they wish to exploit the immense potential they have (but that was always a given).

Perphaps, that's not the point!

Not that Xecpu is better at general purpose than Cell but that MS centers this as their core point. That being the case Ars is pointing out that it might suck at that.

Acert93 said:
Titanio said:

Well, if we are going to rely on Ars Technica for this conclusion it is only fair to repeat the whole sentiment:

It's not a conclusion, but a suggestion. I think we're a little bit off from any sort of conclusions at this stage.

Acert93 said:
i.e. to paraphrase he said something like PS3 fanbois should not get to excited because the PS3 is even worse in these situations.

One bad CPU and 7 worse ones, you mean. But I don't like calling these "bad" and so on - there's reasons for the design decisions being made in each chip. That said, if Ars Technica is on the money, I think Cell offers a clearer benefit for the tradeoffs it has made versus XeCPU. The latter seems to face many of the same challenges and "compromises" with certain types of workload, but without anywhere near as significant an upside for other types of workload as Cell. So yes, I'd take a chip with, to use Ars Technica's description, "a bit" less performance in one area if it means getting a lot more elsewhere. XeCPU could be in a sticky middleground if all this is true - making many of the same sacrifices as Cell but without the same level of benefit.

Acert93 said:

Absolutely.

MrWibble said:
He doesn't see how 1080p displays relate to entertainment?

But isn't this the "HD Era"? Aren't MS the ones giving away HDTVs free as a gimmick to GDC attendees?

I love how everything is important to MS until the opposition comes up with "actually we're going to have more of that, more of this, and two of those..." and then they start downplaying it again...

But this is my favourite:

"A: Looking back, there were 4 important game ideas in these 10 years. Pokemon, Grand Theft Auto, Sim Series, and Halo. All of these had no special 90 seconds trailers. Halo is the only one with amazing graphics, physics and realism. "

What? Is he actually serious?

It was a good game, probably a classic game, and it was important mostly because it sold a lot of XBoxes... but one of only "4 important" games in the last 10 years?

I want some of what he's smoking.

Are you serious? He didn't say that 1080p wasn't important. He said what is the point of having DUAL HDMI ports that output at 1080p? It's the same thing some people have been discussing on here. How is that a selling point? How does that relate to the gaming experience for most consumers? Even people that have a single HDTV that displays 1080p (Uhhh.. Nobody right now), how many have TWO? Wow, that's a great market that Sony is going after there! I can see how that's going to be a console mover!

As for Halo, I'll ask you again: Are you serious?

Or are you just so blind in your hatred for MS you can't see that he was clearly picking out a key performer from each of the competing game platforms?

Pokemon for N, GTA for PS2, Halo for Xbox and Sims for PC. (Notice how MS "wins" half of the time?)

And you would have to either be a huge MS hater or a huge PC gamer and hater of all FPS on consoles (or both), in order to think that Halo wasn't revolutionary and wasn't one of the most important console games in the last ten years. Halo took the entire FPS market, and along with Xbox's "FPS friendly" controller, brought it from the PC market to the Console market.

Or, at the very least, brought the "FPS revolution" that had existed almost solely on the PC to console gamers who didn't have the dexterity to twitch with M/K or didn't have the PC hardware to keep up with PC FPSers.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Are you serious? He didn't say that 1080p wasn't important. He said what is the point of having DUAL HDMI ports that output at 1080p? It's the same thing some people have been discussing on here. How is that a selling point? How does that relate to the gaming experience for most consumers? Even people that have a single HDTV that displays 1080p (Uhhh.. Nobody right now), how many have TWO? Wow, that's a great market that Sony is going after there! I can see how that's going to be a console mover!

Who said you had to have two 1080p displays anyway? HDMI can support lower resolutions, and there's a standard analog video-out on there too. It'll support anything from a single B&W telly to a dual hi-def display... In what way is having optional extra functionality a *negative* point?

As for Halo, I'll ask you again: Are you serious?

Yes.

Or are you just so blind in your hatred for MS you can't see that he was clearly picking out a key performer from each of the competing game platforms?

Damn, clearly my reputation for virtriolic spleen venting towards Gates and his cohorts is getting around...

Pokemon for N, GTA for PS2, Halo for Xbox and Sims for PC. (Notice how MS "wins" half of the time?)

And you would have to either be a huge MS hater or a huge PC gamer and hater of all FPS on consoles (or both), in order to think that Halo wasn't revolutionary and wasn't one of the most important console games in the last ten years. Halo took the entire FPS market, and along with Xbox's "FPS friendly" controller, brought it from the PC market to the Console market.

Or, at the very least, brought the "FPS revolution" that had existed almost solely on the PC to console gamers who didn't have the dexterity to twitch with M/K or didn't have the PC hardware to keep up with PC FPSers.

I was getting my FPS kicks on console with Goldeneye long before Halo came along.

And I wasn't knocking Halo - but it was *not* one of only 4 "important" games in 10 years.

Oh I've had it with these forums, too many reactionary idiots.

RancidLunchmeat said:

Where's Game Cube? ;)

Back