Is the PS3 on track to deliver full specs?

I think you're not going to get confirmation right now, but if you read between the lines, it seems XBD is saying it's all but confirmed.

But basically XBD is using second-hand info from someone he thinks is reliable, is anyone with first-hand information (meaning is actually working with a final PS3 kit) ever going to confirm/deny this? Doubtful, and that is the problem, there's no clarity to the discussion.

How much memory PS3 devkits have?

Any chance to see one pool of ram upgraded to 512MB (GDR3)? (I know that is only a hopefull wish. ;))

Since we all love Blu Ray so much:
http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Before your itchy fingers start typing "OMG! HD DVD FAN BOY!" please note that Bill was very Pro BD before. Interesting info.

I don't get it... what does it have to do with anything?

It doesn't really say anything all that negative either, except that BR needs to get back on track (which is more a matter of fact than anything else) and there is likely 50gb disc issues with the Samsung player (which he says will in all likelihood be fixed with a firmware patch anyways). It doesn't exactly sound like hes switched sides either (or that he necessarily has a side at all, judging from what I read there... he sounded pretty neutral, or at least not a blind to either side).

Does the spec change have any relationship to the GF7900 GX2 or GF7950 GX2, whose GPUs are also running at 500 Mhz?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chillax Kittonwy.

It's very difficult to be clear cut on material which is under NDA. At the very least, if you've signed an NDA and able to confirm something, your job will be on the line. We try our best to interpret what we're given, based on the merit of the information and the quality of the source. These are the rules if you want to be part of the speculative game, unfortunately. For what it's worth, I also heard the other day that RSX is 500/650, a while before the Inquirer article came out. It's apparently listed as such in the Sony developer website.

But basically XBD is using second-hand info from someone he thinks is reliable, is anyone with first-hand information (meaning is actually working with a final PS3 kit) ever going to confirm/deny this? Doubtful, and that is the problem, there's no clarity to the discussion.

Yes, this is true. Now then the question for those reading what I write is to ask themselves: Would the sources XBD needs to hear this from himself in order to make these claims, meet my own criteria...?

I *hope* for the majority, that clears it up right there. But I will freely admit to not having ever worked on a PS3 dev kit.

But, I *do* write for a PS3 publication, I *do* moderate a PS forum, and I definitely hate Charlie D. Take that into consideration also when you see me coming into this fray. Essentially, I have no motive for spreading this without total confidence. To boot I've known things in the past and haven't shared them; I'm not here for attention or ego, I know where I stand.

And I wouldn't be discussing this either if Charlie wasn't such a douche.

I don't get it... what does it have to do with anything?

It doesn't really say anything all that negative either, except that BR needs to get back on track (which is more a matter of fact than anything else) and there is likely 50gb disc issues with the Samsung player (which he says will in all likelihood be fixed with a firmware patch anyways). It doesn't exactly sound like hes switched sides either (or that he necessarily has a side at all, judging from what I read there... he sounded pretty neutral, or at least not a blind to either side).

This is important to some of us who are hoping to get a very good BR player out of the PS3 without having to spend $1000+ for a stand alone player. Notice the line about Sony and Pioneer also working hard to get BD50 to play properly on their players. Now the strong rumor is that Pioneer is the OEM for Sony's standalone player but if all 3 are having this issue, what's stopping the PS3 from having the same fate? I asked Amir on avsforum if by firmware tweaking they mean getting error recovery to make up for hardware issues. I'll update with his reply.

The last thing you'd want is the PS3 to skip/stutter/audio sync issues during BD50 playback.

Yes, this is true. Now then the question for those reading what I write is to ask themselves: Would the sources XBD would need to hear this from in order for he himself to make these claims, meet my own criteria?

I *hope* for the majority, that clears it up right there. But I will freely admit to not having ever worked on a PS3 dev kit.

But, I *do* write for a PS3 publication, I *do* moderate a PS forum, and I definitely hate Charlie D. Take that into consideration also when you see me coming into this fray.

Yes, I'm at the E-mpire boards as well.

It's just that there will never be a definitive answer regardless of how much you trust your own source and how much others trust you because it's not from a direct source.

Charlie D? Are we talking about DCharlie from GAF/Tokyopia or is that another person?

This is important to some of us who are hoping to get a very good BR player out of the PS3 and having to spend $1000+ for a stand alone player. Notice the line about Sony and Pioneer also working hard to get BD50 to play properly on their players. Now the strong rumor is that Pioneer is the OEM for Sony's standalone player but if all 3 are having this issue, what's stopping the PS3 from having the same fate. I asked Amir on avsforum if by firmware tweaking they mean getting error recovery to make up for hardware issues. I'll update with his reply.

The last thing you'd want is the PS3 to skip/stutter/audio sync issues during BD50 playback.

Robert why must everything become a referendum on Blu-ray for you? :)

I think what Bobbler was getting at is: you're straying off topic! :cool:

Kittonwy, XBdetroya's reputation is impeccable and as he stated, his info is as good as you're going to get for a while.

thanks for clearing this up XB

Yes, I'm at the E-mpire boards as well.

It's just that there will never be a definitive answer regardless of how much you trust your own source and how much others trust you because it's not from a direct source.

Charlie D? Are we talking about DCharlie from GAF/Tokyopia or is that another person?

Well, it's fine if people don't trust me; I'm just trying to get out in front of this because people from the Sony side at least respect me... and I really don't think you're going to be hearing anything from Sony or anyone under NDA on this. So basically, here I am against the Inq - not an unusual position for me!

Charlie D is the author of that Inquirer article, and as you can see, the lowest type of person.

Since we all love Blu Ray so much:
http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Before your itchy fingers start typing "OMG! HD DVD FAN BOY!" please note that Bill was very Pro BD before. Interesting info.

*Read through the link*

Just want to take this opportunity to thank and encourage all who're losing sleep/sanity working on PS3 and games at the moment. Just a little while longer. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure it'd be for the best (I might add Mr. Kutaragi looks like a terrifying and nitpicking boss :) ).

I'm still split over the "one more PS3 secret" at this very late stage (It's not in the specs, no one's expecting it; but yes, it's a nice gesture *if it's not gimmicky*. I'd be grateful).

Finally, why is xbdestroya still posting in the last half hour ?
We should have chained him to a word processor until he finishes his Cell writeup. :devilish:

Robert why must everything become a referendum on Blu-ray for you? :)

I think what Bobbler was getting at is: you're straying off topic! :cool:

I like HD :(

Honestly BR is my only concern for the PS3. The rest is expect to be quite good. I'll actually be using my for 80% BR playback and 20% gaming so you can see why! :p

...but you guys are right. Sorry about dragging it somewhat off topic.

Or maybe a 256 bit bus to RSX? (more hopefull thinking :p )

There is already a 256bit bus, afaik. It's just that only half of that goes to GDDR3. The other half ...

And surely if we were to get a memory upgrade, we'd get it on the XDR2 side? 256mb of video RAM is plenty if you can also use the XDR2 (the other half of the bus ... ), but 256mb of system memory, say, if you were doing some nice Linux stuff, etc. - would be fine, but 512mb would be finer. It would certainly add more, imho, especially since, well, imho, the Cell and RSX both have decent access to the XDR2 memory so there's more room to benefit from it.

But maybe I'm not quite understanding the architecture just yet. It's just that certain developers have hinted at this being the way things work in the PS3.

And at Robert - basically he's just saying that he's not worried, thinks the BD format is fine and it might even be his favorite, but BD right now is lagging behind HD DVD and needs to step it up.

I personally think that the BD camp is taking it easy until the PS3 is launched. It's a lazy attitude, but understandable. The earlier you try to use a new technology, the more expensive it generally is. Just look at the Samsung player that might need a Flash upgrade already. Once the PS3 has been launched, you're more likely to get a return of investment and the whole format will get an enormous publicity boost. Then Christmas will come right after, and suddenly everyone is watching. If they can get their act together somewhere half-way November, they're in a very good position.

Back