Is the PS3 on track to deliver full specs?

The problem might not be the sony's ability to produce RSX chips that reach 550/700 but rather the necessity to meet certain thermal and power consumption requirements for the whole system.

Ahem... 'post above yours' time again! :p

But yeah, I agree with you.

Why would the RSX need to be downgraded if a similar chip is running fine at speeds faster than it?
What's the G71 clocking at these days? 650 MHz? Seems RSX should be readily capable to hit 550, unless the thermal envelope for the desired noise level doesn't work. Could just be too hot for their cooling system and require to much noise to get 550 MHz working. Personally, I'd take a 10% cut in speed (well, 9.1% to be accurate ;)) with a quiet console than with the extra 50 MHz and a lot more noise.

Edit : For thermal envelope comment I was so late to the party, I shouldn't have bothered turning up!

Right or wrong, I found Charlie's writing style quite amusing :p The reason for the downgrade as others stated would be a need to meet power/noise/thermal requirements. A console cannot really use the huge coolers we're so accustomed to seeing on GPU's now. A spooled up fan on modern GPU's is quite loud esp. x1800/x1900/7900GT series. If dropping 50mhz means a much more quiet system, I'm all for it.

Right or wrong, I found Charlie's writing style quite amusing :p T....

at this point... I think his writing style is strictly a shtick since it is obviously so polarizing and controversial it causes page views. I mean our very own XBD has done articles on the guy. ;)

Cell really is where it's at though in PS3, and it's still where it's supposed to be. I'll add to that that I have an *awesome* interview coming up very very shortly on Cell. Oh Cell... let me count the ways!

Exciting stuff! Please, please, please link us to that interview after you're ready to show it off, I would be honored to read it. :smile:

at this point... I think his writing style is strictly a shtick since it is obviously so polarizing and controversial it causes page views.

Rightfully so. I go there for entertainment and then watch then watch people get worked up over their "news." Good times!

What's the G71 clocking at these days? 650 MHz? Seems RSX should be readily capable to hit 550, unless the thermal envelope for the desired noise level doesn't work.

mmmh I think that g71 runs in a big case, rsx have to share little-to-zero space with Cell, and from what I know it's an hot chip, and the internal power supply, I've heard that blu ray too is hot when running, but this is nothing more then a rumor, maybe/maybe not.

I just would prefer an external PSU (better looking console, less big, less heavy, no heat problem from it in the console)

Sony, if you listen us, switch to external PSU and keep cell @3,2, the GDDR3 @700 and rsx@550.

Exciting stuff! Please, please, please link us to that interview after you're ready to show it off, I would be honored to read it. :smile:

Psssh! C'mon, like I wouldn't do that naturally. ;)

Rightfully so. I go there for entertainment and then watch then watch people get worked up over their "news." Good times!

You're a sick man Robert - Charlie's writing style... uuugghhhh

Sony, if you listen us, switch to external PSU and keep cell @3,2, the GDDR3 @700 and rsx@550.

MasterDisaster speak for yourself! Not that I like downgrades, but I rather have Cell@3.2, RSX@500/650 and an internal PSU than RSX@550/700 and an external PSU. BUT, everyone's entitled to their own opinion on the matter, there's no doubt about that.

I just would prefer an external PSU (better looking console, less big, less heavy, no heat problem from it in the console)

Judging from some of the problems alot of Xbox360 owners had with their initial buys i'd say this may not help as much as one would imagine in this area..

Out of all the problems the first xbox360's to retail had, overheating was definitely the most popular..

You only have to go to gamespot.com forums to see it's still an issue for some consumers almost a yr after launch!

You're a sick man Robert - Charlie's writing style... uuugghhhh

Not just Charlie, the whole funny farm at the Inquirer. You can see how they desperately try to go for the shock factor and blanket statements to create a buzz but try to come off as being straight from the hip. It's pitiful "journalism" but it works for them and in turn amuses me :p

Does anyone actually know anything concrete are has the thread basically been answering speculations with more speculations while people who know the facts are under NDAs and won't ever give out a straight yes/no answer?

Does anyone actually know anything concrete are has the thread basically been answering speculations with more speculations while people who know the facts are under NDAs and won't ever give out a straight yes/no answer?

Yes, people know something concrete.

Yes, people know something concrete.

You're giving me a partial answer, just like when the other person asks you a YES OR NO question, you told him to look at your post above him instead of JUST TELL HIM YES OR NO.

Apparently the people who are in possession of factual information, aren't the ones talking in this thread because this is a very simple question, either the PS3 has a Cell running at 3.2GHz and RSX running at 550 MHz, or it does not, either the inquirer article is true or it is false.

This isn't some kind of philosophical discussion here, this is very simple black and white stuff here. There should not be any ambiguity for those who actually know anything concrete, but all I read here is just a bunch of ambiguous language, the typical little dance people do without coming to any kind of real conclusion to the discussion. No offense to anyone of course. This might be extremely fun for some but it's difficult to find real information when it's often buried in a bunch of speculations.

This isn't some kind of philosophical discussion here, this is very simple black and white stuff here. There should not be any ambiguity for those who actually know anything concrete, but all I read here is just a bunch of ambiguous language, the typical little dance people do without coming to any kind of real conclusion to the discussion. No offense to anyone of course. This might be extremely fun for some but it's difficult to find real information when it's often buried in a bunch of speculations.

I think you're not going to get confirmation right now, but if you read between the lines, it seems XBD is saying it's all but confirmed.

Back