Intel Q6600

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
After 2years or so, I finally decided to rebuild my PC. I went from an AMD FX53, 1GB DDR, Dfi Lanparty, x800xtpe/x1800xt/x1900xtx to an Intel Q6600, Asus P5K deluxe, 4GB Corsair 1066 RAM and an Evga 8800GTX super clocked.

In the FX53 days, it was the fastest chip on the market, by a fair margin and the Intel chips simply could not hang. Back then, overclocking your chip by a few hundred mhz on air was a big deal. Unfortunately, my chip wasn't a great performer in this area.

Fast forward to last week when I ordered the above parts for a new PC. Being out of the loop for 2 years, it took about a week of research to find the "ideal" combo. Got myself a G0 stepping Q6600. Without breaking the sweat, the CPU was running at 3.0ghz. This was well within the volatage range and the heat output was not even an issue. And this is on the stock heatsink!

So I ordered up the mighty Thermalright Extreme 120 with a Scythe 120mm FAN. Wow, what shoddy craftmanship on the Thermalright unit. It's amazing the shit they can sell to enthusiasts and expect them to sand down the heatsink to flatten the surface. I won't go into details but right now, I'm not a happy camper.

However, it still does work better than stock so I decided to put the voltage to 1.372 which is still within the specs! No overvolting yet. Got it up 3.4ghz. That is amazing. Think about it, I got a 1ghz OC on air thus making it 400mhz faster than the fastest chip available. All for under $300!

Once I get my heatsink issues sorted out, I plan to push it between 3.4 to 3.6 which seem to be limit for most Q6600 chips. This will be for everyday use.

Much credit to Asus for a very stable board and a well done bios that makes overclocking fun, not frustrating. Also, the Corsair RAM rocks!

Q6600 here too. Runs at 3.0GHz on air (stock cooler) like a charm.

However, since I couldn't get any appreciable performance increase I didn't see ANY real reason NOT to run it at stock speeds, which is why I put it back to 2.4GHz.

Boring. If you have really done your research you would find out this is average.

The hell it is. I have a friend that just built a G0-step Q6600 rig w/an Ultra 120 Extreme, 4GB RAM (2x2GB PC2-6400 OCZ) on an Asus Striker 680i board (not the Striker Extreme, regular Striker) and he can't crack 2.8GHz and maintain stability. On the other side of the fence I have another friend that built a G0-step Q6600 and he has been working hard to push it beyond 3.33GHz (originally couldn't get it past 3.0, but after lots of tweaking he's gotten to 3.33).

2.8Ghz on a Q660 is below average. What edition of the 680i board does he have? The early revisions had issues with quad-cores and didnt o/c well at all.

Q6600 here too. Runs at 3.0GHz on air (stock cooler) like a charm.

However, since I couldn't get any appreciable performance increase I didn't see ANY real reason NOT to run it at stock speeds, which is why I put it back to 2.4GHz.

Did the same myself

Hmm .. u guys don't play games? I noticed the increase to 3.2Ghz quite a bit. Games definitely play smoother and loads quicker than at 2.4Ghz.

US

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking my 6750 to 3.5Ghz certainly made a difference in games.

I'm running my q6600 @ 3.4 on air, fsb @ 425 and mem @ 950.

vcore @ 1.5, dimm @ 2.1 and fsb @ 1.4...

smooth smooth thanks to evga's 680i mb.

Once you get the OC stablizied, go back into the bios and turn on Intel's Speedstep option which will down your FSB and multiplier for everyday use. Once the need is there the clocks go back to the OC level for gaming and such.

Steam stress test: it's not all about the GPU!

So my Asus crapped out and I need to RMA with newegg. In the meantime I put the old FX53, 1GB RAM, DFi Lanparty NF4 and Vista32 setup back on and installed the 8800GTX into it.

Just for shits and giggles I ran the CS:S stress test at the same settings as with the Q6600 setup:
High Quality
4xAA
16x AF
All settings High in CS:S, Full HDR and reflect all
1920x1200

With the Q6600 setup, 247FPS
FX53 setup, 114FPS

Once I got used to the Q6600 rig for a bit, going back to this, things feel quite a bit slower all around.

Yep, people might think it's a joke but the Q6600 does actually perform like a bomb.

I'm so happy with the purchase. I just hope I had bought it a few months later. ;)

US

I was lucky enough to get my Q6600 to run at 3.6 on air cooling with a FSB @ 400 and Multiplier at 9x. I use my machine for business and games. I have installed VISTA 64 and use 8GB of memory running at 800 (No o/c with 4 sticks of memory)

Based on what I see for o/c I now consider myself lucky that I got a real stable and quiet o/c and using 8Gb of memory.

I too have turned on Speedstep and I save power and sound while browsing but get the kicker to 3.6 when I need it.

Awesome cpu.

I am using a Thermalright Ultra-120 with a Scythe 120 mm fan attached. Its extremely quiet. The vCore is 1.47 and temperature is good.

The choice of 3.6 as my speed is not because it is the max but because the machine is a my home office machine and did not want to jeopardize work. It got it to least 3.7 but I pulled back to a nice easy number. (Friend who is heavy over-clocker twisted my arm to o/c my cpu as he could not stand the thought I would leave it at 2.4) It was easy o/c as I discovered when he went back to his machine and had a devil of a time to get 2 sticks of memory and his q6600 to 3.6 when I got mine stable with 4 sticks of memory and no effort.

Its the luck of draw.

Back