Intel Pentium-m as a desktop reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
hovz said:
i cant think of 1 application offhand the pentium m wins in. im not saying there isnt one, but its probably extremely rare.

I'll bite...

So the fact that a $435 Pentium-M 2.0ghz will come within about 5-15% the performance of an $879 Clawhammer FX-55 2.6ghz is somehow comforting to anyone?

Both systems got the same Corsair CL2-2-2 memory, the same X800 video card and drivers and the same Raptor drives. What you seem to have glossed over is the fact that the Dothan system was running single channel DDR at 333mhz and AGP 4x for the video interface. So let's tally this up: Dothan has less than half the total ram bandwidth, 25% less CPU speed, and an approximate 5-10% drop in video output thanks to the lessened AGP speed (yeah, it's not much, but you also know it's true).

I think the differences between those two systems could be MORE than made up if they were playing on level fields. But, you are still correct, the AMD is "faster" at the very end. However, I'm not convinced that 10% faster for an 80% price bump is cost-effective... And looking at how the Dothan scales with speed, combined with some of the overclocking results I've been finding online along with the overclocking findings, I think there's quite a bit of bunch left in these chips afterall. And with the upcoming dual channel DDR boards with PCI-E, I don't think the FX-series is as safe as you might otherwise think.

AS we all know, D3 is everything but not a trustworthy measurement, due to its fucked up engine.
The next to bench has 20% difference with FX and your $435 Pentium-M 2.0ghz constantly neck to neck with the $250 Athlon 3500+ CPU.

Is this what you wanted to say but forgot?

PS: I don't really get WTF is the point here. In case you haven't noticed during the last decade, the top CPUs are always offer roughly +10% max compared to upper mainstream counterparts.

ANova said:
T2k said:
I am one of the very few early Itanium adopters and I can tell you how shitty, crappy is that CPU, how it's only serves the late 70's-style computing ideas - which is fully contradicts today's general computing needs. It's actually ridiculous that such incompetent stupid project managed to reach even a design level, not to mention a manufacturing and retail level... It was a classic moneyburning project based on totally misunderstood costumer needs, market state and a really arrogant corporate crook attitude. Classic guinea pig how to fuck up zillions with a useless product. because of pompous but utterly ignorant management decisions.
Thanks God, Intel royally fucked up, they lost more than $10B on Itanium and now NOBODY is selling anymore on WS level - this is the last phase of the agony.

If this is so why then did NASA just build a supercomputer comprised of Itanium 2s which has overtaken Japan's Earth simulator?
You don't know TF are you talking about AGAIN. Business as usual... :rolleyes:

TOP 500 list, as of today, kid:

1. BlueGene 70720 Rmax

BlueGene/L DD2 beta-System (0.7 GHz PowerPC 440)
IBM/DOE
Rochester,
United States

BlueGene/L is a cooperative project to design and build an innovative high-end computer architecture that can be scaled to the hundreds of teraflops (a trillion, or 1012 floating point operations per second). It is targeted for deployment in late 2004.

BlueGene/L is a scalable ultra-computer targeted for 216 = 65,536 compute nodes. BlueGene/L is a cellular architecture in that the basic building block of the system can be replicated in a regular pattern, with no introduction of bottlenecks as the system is scaled up.

2. NASA 51870 Rmax

Columbia System Facts

Based on SGI® NUMAflex™ architecture
20 SGI® Altix™ 3700 superclusters, each with 512 processors
Global shared memory across 512 processors

10,240 Intel Itanium® 2 processors
Current processor speed: 1.5 gigahertz
Current cache: 6 megabytes

1 terabyte of memory per 512 processors, with 20 terabytes total memory

3. Earth Simulator 35860 Rmax

Hardware

The ES is based on:

* 5,120 (640 8-way nodes) 500 MHz NEC CPUs
* 8 GFLOPS per CPU (41 TFLOPS total)
* 2 GB (4 512 MB FPLRAM modules) per CPU (10 TB total)
* shared memory inside the node
* 640 � 640 crossbar switch between the nodes
* 16 GB/s inter-node bandwidth
* 20 kVA power consumption per node

As you can see, being on this list doesn't really mean shit, in pure English. One thing needed only: enough CPU for free or paid by somebody to slap together.

Besides this being here proves nothing but you can use it for very rare scientific purposes - which is prefectly fits into my assesment about the 70's mainframe style, in case you couldn't recognize.

PS: BTW let me tell you a well-known (OK, not by you :D) "industry secret"something: Intel gives away thousands of Itanium every year.
You know why? Because if you get a system for free, you may will buy later. Otherwise nobody would risk it for money.

ANova said:
T2k said:
Facts are togh things, you know...

The last two promised change - 64bit cores and SoI - were successful at AMD.

The last half dozen thing - own 64bit platform, Itaniums, Prescott, Tejas, EMT64 - were completely fucked up at Intel.

Your turn.

64 bit cores my ass. It's just an extension to the aging x86. SOI is nice but certainly nothing AMD created.

No arguments made. So much for meaningful conversation...

64 bit is 64 bit. If you don't know WTF are the industry terms, learn them first.

They promised to deliver these, they did. Unlike the giant crappy Intel with 5-6 other thing.
Facts are facts, despite your taste, kid.

The Prescott and the Tejas were bad designs, that's one thing we can agree on. EM64T however, is almost exactly the same as x86-64. Hell Intel practically copied it, so I don't know how you can claim AMD's "64 bit" procs are a promised change and at the same time claim EM64T is a fuck up.

You either A) retarded or B) completely kookoo... :rolleyes:

First you trashed AMD64 as non-real 64 :rolleyes: (what a nonsense crap!) then you come back Intel couldn't fuck up because it's the copy of that. :oops:
What's wrong with you?

Not to mention the fact that you silently avoided the REAL reason I wrote it: Intels fully fucked up own 64bit extension. Not to mention they put EMT64 into Prescott - and we got a heating machin over 110W dissipation and SLOWER than the aging Northwood!!! :LOL: :LOL:

C'mon: it's gettin' embarrassing as you nare now trying to paint that bl;ack is white, Intel isn't a piece of crap since years now.

Fanboy style is one thing but it isn't necessary to make a complete idiot posts, believe me.

As you can see, being on this list doesn't really mean shit, in pure English. One thing needed only: enough CPU for free or paid by somebody to slap together.

WTF is your point? You only confirmed what I said. Yes, I knew long ago IBM was working on a new Bluegene, however, it's still under development.

Besides this being here proves nothing but you can use it for very rare scientific purposes - which is prefectly fits into my assesment about the 70's mainframe style, in case you couldn't recognize.

According to whom? You? Because if that's the case then I know it's wrong. :LOL:

64 bit is 64 bit. If you don't know WTF are the industry terms, learn them first.

They promised to deliver these, they did. Unlike the giant crappy Intel with 5-6 other thing.

Ahaha. x86-64 is nowhere near as complex as IA-64. And yes, it is just an extension. What, exactly, did "giant crappy Intel" fail to deliver on besides the Tejas?

You either A) retarded or B) completely kookoo...

First you trashed AMD64 as non-real 64 (what a nonsense crap!) then you come back Intel couldn't fuck up because it's the copy of that.
What's wrong with you?

Not to mention the fact that you silently avoided the REAL reason I wrote it: Intels fully fucked up own 64bit extension. Not to mention they put EMT64 into Prescott - and we got a heating machin over 110W dissipation and SLOWER than the aging Northwood!!! :LOL:

C'mon: it's gettin' embarrassing as you nare now trying to paint that bl;ack is white, Intel isn't a piece of crap since years now.

style is one thing but it isn't necessary to make a complete idiot posts, believe me.

Well you've already proven yourself to be A) a f@nboy or B) dumb.

You said, "The last half dozen thing - own 64bit platform, Itaniums, Prescott, Tejas, EMT64 - were completely fucked up at Intel."

How can Intel fuck up EM64T when it is the exact same instruction used by AMD. So, when AMD uses it, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, when Intel uses it it's a fuck up. :LOL: Prescott didn't gain any heat from adding EM64T, Prescott always ran hot.

You keep claiming that my posts are embarassing or idiotic, yeah to a f@nboy like you maybe, not to anyone with some common sense.

btw, your spelling and grammar continues to impress me.

ANova said:

WTF is your point? You only confirmed what I said. Yes, I knew long ago IBM was working on a new Bluegene, however, it's still under development.

:oops: :oops:
:oops: :oops:

WTF is wrong with your brain?

Look, I know you aren't the sharpest on the block but please: try to catch basic logical context.

According to whom? You? Because if that's the case then I know it's wrong. :LOL:

According to anybody who is an expert or work as a professional in this industry.

You're neither of one, apparently only an ignorant home luzer, so no wonder if you can't sort it out...

FYI: Read the frikkin basics before you gotinvolved in a debate - you don't even know the fuckin basics, not even the terms.

Ahaha. x86-64 is nowhere near as complex as IA-64.

Jesus in heaven... AND???????
You clearly utterly outsider here. :D

And yes, it is just an extension. What, exactly, did "giant crappy Intel" fail to deliver on besides the Tejas?

Prescott became the history most dissipating yet least powerful CPU which actually the first time almost tripled the tranny number but despite consuming 110W offered less performance than its own ancestor. :LOL:
LOL! The world worst designed CPU, the biggest joke until today! :LOL:

Itanium as the 'new' platform: Intel technically did not sold anything from the "revolutionary design! :LOL: :LOL:

Itanium2: as the 'corrected' Itanium, which will REALLY PROVE what's TEH B0MB! :LOL: Proved that IA64 not only completely useless for today's general computin purposes but also sports a completely useless 32bit emulation mode! :LOL: :LOL: The only adopters: like me, when Opteron wasn't available and you had 12-16 gigs of memory to address.

IA64: the world BIGGEST WASTED EFFORT IN THE HISTORY OF THE CPUs! $10-20 BILLION BURNED AND YOU CAN'T EVEN MEASURE THEIR MARKETSHARE! The only co-member even STOPPED selling its workstations now... depite he still sells its own old *nix stuff![/b] :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Without cache it's useless, if you have these crazy cache amounts (6MB, 9MB...) it's cost more than couple of machines from Opteron... :D

PS: I personally think HT was also a fuckup, though not for Intel but for us: unlike everybody else, Intel stands as the classic quick-and-useless approach ion this topic - there's a good chance you don't know WTF I'm talking about :p :D, so feel free to ask or rather start reading here: http://www.sun.com/processors/technologies.html or here: http://java.ittoolbox.com/browse.asp?c=JAVAPeerPublishing&r=/pub/EH111402/article.html

Short history of MT: http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/multithreading.html

As you can see, there is much more in this HT-thingy than Intel did, than you know..

You either A) retarded or B) completely kookoo...

First you trashed AMD64 as non-real 64 (what a nonsense crap!) then you come back Intel couldn't fuck up because it's the copy of that.
What's wrong with you?

Not to mention the fact that you silently avoided the REAL reason I wrote it: Intels fully fucked up own 64bit extension. Not to mention they put EMT64 into Prescott - and we got a heating machin over 110W dissipation and SLOWER than the aging Northwood!!! :LOL:

C'mon: it's gettin' embarrassing as you nare now trying to paint that black is white, Intel isn't a piece of crap since years now.

Fanboy style is one thing but it isn't necessary to make a complete idiot posts, believe me.

Well you've already proven yourself to be A) a f@nboy or B) dumb.

You said, "The last half dozen thing - own 64bit platform, Itaniums, Prescott, Tejas, EMT64 - were completely fucked up at Intel."

Look... if you can't follow a VERY BASIC context of a debate, STFU.

Last time: Intel fucked up the way they designed them: useless, heat plant with a magnitude higher dissipation but less performance than its ancestor.

I know you're slow but enough is enough.

How can Intel fuck up EM64T when it is the exact same instruction used by AMD. So, when AMD uses it, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, when Intel uses it it's a fuck up. :LOL: Prescott didn't gain any heat from adding EM64T, Prescott always ran hot.

OMG. :rolleyes:
You ... Jesus, you ARE really slow, indeed.
Prescott runs hot because of the 100+ million trannies which needed for its dead EMT64 and other, never exposed crap.

The worst design EVER.

If you don't know basic stuff, ask.

You keep claiming that my posts are embarassing or idiotic, yeah to a f@nboy like you maybe, not to anyone with some common sense.

Jesus, young Jedi: you don't even understand the topics you're trying to pretend you can post in something meaningful.

Go and finish some high school first, at least.
(I suggest to choose something "for mentally impaired"one...:p).

You are clearly too slow to participate in these topics.

btw, your spelling and grammar continues to impress me.

We all know now you are pretty slow, so let me help you out, my little slo-bro: I am not native English-speaking person.
Wow, suprising, ins't it huh?
It's my 2nd or 3rd or more language.
BTW it's fully OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back