Intel Pentium-m as a desktop reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anandtech did have something similar up the other day, but I never bothered to check it out. :p I think there's a distinct lack of P-M desktop mobos out at the moment, making the platform somewhat unattractive even though it's speedy...

GamePC reviewed two P-M MBs, too. The DFI one was particularly adept at OCing, tho it's a minor shame it didn't include mounting holes for a S478 HSF.

MuFu said:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dfipm&page=10

Crikey - that's using the bundled cooler too.
Holy God! :oops: That 2.53ghz overclocked part just got done stomping a mudhole in just about everything! Even at the stock 2ghz it was kicking ass!

If only they could start building i915 chipset boards for these processors, I'd be all over this like white on rice. I'd buy one today if I could get them with PCI-E and DC-DDR support. Damn!

I was strongly considering an AMD64 of some sort for my next purchase, but after seeing these... Arg! Tough call to make!

If the MBs weren't $250+, the P-M would make for excellent competition for the A64. But, as someone pointed out at TR, the A64 still has 64-bit to lord over the P-M.

But just look at those temps!

volt mod + exotic cooling + P-M = SWEET MOTHER OF GOD

then again... P-M + jury rigged giant block of copper = silent processor?

I was wondering why they didn't move the Pentium-M over to desktop a long time ago. I remember when the reviews first came out, I thought the Pentium4 would be dead.

Scott_Arm said:
I was wondering why they didn't move the Pentium-M over to desktop a long time ago. I remember when the reviews first came out, I thought the Pentium4 would be dead.
Last I read, Intel has discovered this and plans to use similar design methods for future desktop chips. The power draw, heat output, transistor count and overall performance is quite excellent.

Scott_Arm said:

I'm no expert but my uninformed guess would be that "64bitness" could be playing a part in their plans.

2senile said:
Scott_Arm said:

I'm no expert but my uninformed guess would be that "64bitness" could be playing a part in their plans.

Yah .. I don't understand why they added 64bit to the P4. They should have thrown it on the PentiumM.

The Baron said:
hmmm, isn't Intel developing a dual-core P-M for use in desktops?
I remember reading / hearing something similar. And I don't see why they couldn't slap some 64 bit loving into a P-M core with a few extra transistors...

meh, eventually. I'd rather have a really viable 32-bit dual-core P-M than a 64-bit dual-core P-M that makes Prescott look cool.

Since the TDP of a 2.0ghz Dothan iat full speed s 21W, I'm not too worried about a dual core 64 bit version having significant heat issues. Hell, double the Dothan's heat output still would still be 30% cooler than the lowest TDP-rated Northwood available.

The problem for the Pentium M as a desktop chip is that the 90nm Athlon 64 only consumes around 30 W at full load, 3500+ = 31W. And about 3W at idle. And it's also faster and a lot cheaper.

Compare that to the P4 which maxes out at a whopping 104W

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/pentium4_570-20.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20041224/pentium_m_boards-04.html

And on top of that, also a good overclocker:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2242&p=5.html

I don't see why its an problem....Dothan(pentium-M) seems to beat the A64 in many benchmarks using less power.

Cheaper, yes. But the premium for Dothan is likely artificial.

RussSchultz said:
I don't see why its an problem....Dothan(pentium-M) seems to beat the A64 in many benchmarks using less power.

Cheaper, yes. But the premium for Dothan is likely artificial.

I'm looking at the Tom's hardware benchmarks and it seems to loose in all benchmarks. It does well in gaming situations but also does really bad in some other. But it was never faster then the 3200+ (both CPU's at 2 GHz). And then you have the potential increase in speed for the A64 when 64 bit windows arrives. And the 3000+ overclocked to 2.6 GHz at Anand's. And the difference in power consumption is 21 vs 30W. Hardly anything to bother with imo.

And afa prices goes, perhaps they aren't that much more expensive. But it's hard to know since they're practially impossible to get hold of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back