Climax on Playstation 3 - Technical Director

HappyBread

Newcomer
Old?

chris4uq.jpg

Chris Keegan - Technical Director, Climax

Ok. You’re making a top secret PS3 game right now. How much better is PS3 than PS2?

Put it this way, had PS3 existed in 1998 it would have been the most powerful super-computer in the world. PS2, in comparison, has never been higher than the top 30. PS3 is roughly 250 times more powerful in raw processing terms than PS2. And that’s not including the power of the RSX.

So games will be that much better then?

It’s not quite that simple, I’m afraid. With the extra computing horse-power comes a not insubstantial downside, namely that writing code efficient enough to take advantage of it has become an order of magnitude. It requires programming skills that only the very best developers have, and they’re kept locked away in dark dungeons. Fortunately Climax maintains a bank of genetically engineered uber-coders, awaiting the dawn of just such an era of games development.

What will the new machine allow you to do that you couldn’t of doing on PS2?

We’re talking about more physics, more characters, more detail, more gorgeous graphics. Much more expansive worlds filled with detail and, importantly, things to drive your car into and shoot and bound up and over.

So that means I have to buy a new TV to get the most out of PS3?

You can probably get away with only onebut I tell you, this dual HDMI interface is a bit of all right, fully digital signal all the way to your plasma or projector is a beatiful thing. Crisp, colourful, high contrast – black will finally be black, not some cloudy grey. Beautiful. Well worth the investment.

The Cell processor runs at 3.2Ghz. My PC is faster than that, so why is the Cell such a big deal?

These days, even Intel has stopped shouting about the clock speed of their processors. It’s now fairly well recognized fact that it’s not clocks, but what you do with them. And in the case of the processor you have nine processors working at the same time counting up FLOPS, and eight of them are hardcore fast processors designed for delivering hardcore math-intensive features like rendering and physics.

Tell us about RSX. What does it do?

That’s the kick-ass poly-pusher. It’s your GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI’ed badboy plus a hefty bit on the side. RSX is what’s going to blow you all away – you thought those movies at E3 looked good? You wait!

And what’s a Teraflop anyway?

FLOPS are really, really boring but lots of them equal great games. A FLOP is a floating point operation - basically an operation which adds, subtracts, multiplies or divides two numbers. A KiloFLOP is a thousand such operations, a MegaFLOP is a million, a Giga Flop is a billion (PS2 had roughly seven of them) and a TeraFLOP is a gazillion (or a trillion - 1 with 12 zeroes).

So what are ‘shaders’ and multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines?

Shaders are boring, but remember those programmers that Climax keep secreted away in dungeons? Well those guys love shaders. Shaders are short programs that describe the properties of surfaces, they make things shiny or matt and definethe way they interact with light sources. The goal of us as developers is to put the artists in control of powerful shaders so that they can create stunning and creative artwork. That multi-other ‘parallel obfuscating widget’ thing gives you an indication that there’s a lot going on at once and that it’s very flexible. Which means prettier games.

Why seven controllers?

That’s an odd number. It is indeed an odd number. But the answer is another boring one, I’m afraid. The wireless controllers use Bluetooth and there is a limitation in that standard that means only seven slave devices can be active at any one time. Hence seven controllers.

If they’re wireless, won’t I disturb a game on my next-door-neighbors PS3?

Because the PS3 uses Bluetooth, rather than Wi-Fi, there won’t be any problems with clashing with other PS3 devices. Bluetooth operates in a number of different modes but I’d imagine Sony would use a low-power mode, which would provide enough range for a typical living room use but not enough to send the signal through into next door.

And the PSP connectivity - does this mean I’ll be able to stream video from my PS3 over 8o2.11 on my PSP?

That’s certainly possible given the PSP’s support for 8o2.11b, which should be capable of delivering video suitable for the PSP’s resolution. It’s clearly Sony’s intention to provide this sort of functionality for the PS3 and PSP.

Sony have been blabbing about ‘photo realism’ for years. Are the graphics of PS3 finally there?

We’re getting closer certainly, but I’d stop and ask the question: Is photo-realism really what we’re aiming for? I want to see the same creativity in games’ visual style as we see in films. Look at Sin City and you begin to realize that the quest for photo-realism is a throwback to the days when the hardcore technologists ruled the roost.

Making PS3 games - easy or just a bit scary?

Making PS3 games is going to be a massive challenge that will break many small developers but at the same time this is an exciting time to be in the games industry and creating games to make jaws drop. Who wouldn’t call that their dream job?

Marketroid-sp33k. Guys like this exist solely for regurgitating nice, chewed-up pieces of information that only vaguely resemble what they used to be, and tell people that everything's fine, and that whatever product they're promoting is going to rock harder than everything else out there.

You know this is true, because you've seen the same kind of talk coming out of infinum labs. :LOL:

250 times more powerful than PS2 w/o RSX? The whole things reads like "Wowzers dude we have like, a REALLY awesome chip, and with our AWESOME coders, who produce UNBELIEVABLE stuff on just the most AMAZING hardware EVER... our games will be the MOST KICK ASS GAMES in the UNIVERSE! Go PS3! Yeah!"

This cannot be a serious interview unless its for an enthusiast site.

My... god... who the hell wrote those lines for him? Using words like "gazillion." And the way he glosses over stuff by referring to it as "boring." Someone must have really been trying to idiot-proof the content there. Hmmm... you think words will more than 2 syllables will be idiot-proof enough? I mean... gazillion is a really complicated word.

No link ot the article, but it sounds like CnVG type 'cool speak' treating one's readers and absolute idiots - which quite a lot might well be... :oops:

Shifty Geezer said:
Everything is empty marketting speak, except for this one where he sets himself up for a fall...

Depends which movies he's talking about ;)

Climax is working on Avalon and..? Do we know anything else about their next-gen work? I suppose a new MotoGP is certainty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kb-Smoker said:
Anyone know where this came from? :?:

It's in PSM, there's a scan floating around somewhere. There is a tiny interview on the side with David Kirk on it too, but it's completely lacking of any revelations (and is similarly not obviously aimed at a technically sophisticated audience, lacking in detail etc.).

I could imagine a Sony PR guy with a hand up this guy's ass while drinking a glass of water and the interviewer going "Ooooh! Ahhhhh! It's like he's talking for real!"

PR puppet alert! I'm sure we're all hyped about Sudeki 2 (affectionally known as SUCK-deki).

He makes Mark Rein sound politically incorrect.

I tell you, this dual HDMI interface is a bit of all right, fully digital signal all the way to your plasma or projector is a beatiful thing. Crisp, colourful, high contrast – black will finally be black, not some cloudy grey.

LOL!

I have a question about the Bluetooth stuff...now I have no personal experience with this stuff, but I've been told in a computer course that Bluetooth (more specifically in regards to cellphone accessories) and WiFi do not get along well, operating in the same room. The idea is that Bt uses the same radio wavelengths as WiFi, but isn't smart enough to "step around" traffic and otherwise be "airwave friendly". So it ends up stomping all over any other nearby WiFi communications. I have no idea if this is really true or not.

So anybody ever have experience with this? Can I have Bt controllers doing their thing in my living room, while also having WiFi internet and networking remain intact in the same room?

2.4GHz devices interfere from time to time. It's not all the time, but when channels get crowded, that's what happens. I'd figure that with such high frequencies, you'd have a much, MUCH wider band to play with. But whichever regulating commission dictates the operating frequencies (FCC?), they've apparently made it a royal clusterfcuk. Same problem with R/C planes. There's way more headroom in the frequency band, but regulations limit us to like 50 channels, so it's easy to run into intereference. I assume BT incorporates some sort of pulse code modulation that locks the device in a steady state during frequency collisions. That would be better than letting glitches through, and should be rather imperceptible with such a high frequency. PEACE.

randycat99 said:
The idea is that Bt uses the same radio wavelengths as WiFi, but isn't smart enough to "step around" traffic and otherwise be "airwave friendly". So it ends up stomping all over any other nearby WiFi communications. I have no idea if this is really true or not

It was my understanding that Bluetooth frequency hops between 80 frequencies at 1600 times a second so it's unlike to interfere with ISM Devices. In practicew I don't know how it holds up, but from my limited use of 802.11g and 2.4Ghz cordless phones near my Razor and headset, I don't have an problems.

A better explanation would be nice though... :)

Vince said:
It was my understanding that Bluetooth frequency hops between 80 frequencies at 1600 times a second so it's unlike to interfere with ISM Devices.

That is correct I think around Bluetooth spec 1.2 they added some additional aspects to spec which reduces intereference even more. I have been using WiFi and bluetooth mouse/keyboards for long but I dont face any problems.

Back