Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Final Fantasy 15 confirmed native 1080p vertically and horizontally from those 2 latest screenshots (not sure if already done from previous pics). Taken from a recent tweet from Shinobi.

This one confirms it vertically (the fence):

54C5AF2D477D3D001D

This one horizontally (one tree):
54C5AF3547044F0013

Yes it's apparently from gameplay and not cutscenes. The DOF is heavy in this game, even on characters near you (first image). Reminds me Dynasty Warriors 8.

I'm a bit late to the show here. Is it still a time based/turn based combat system? Or did they switch to something fully real time now? Edit: whoop wrong thread.

Ahh, okay let me save this comment somehow. Looks pretty good! I thoughts the enemies out in the distances were DOF'd on purpose to simulate the turn based combat, like you fight only 3-5 enemies at a time and then the next appear or something.

2nd shots has good lighting and shading I think, self shadows on the big monster, I'm not sure if they are present on the people, I think they are, but hard to tell, in the first picture they are certainly present, in the second one I can't tell.

I am happy with the look. Needs some AA, but it's also ways off... Hopefully they'll have the resources left to implement effective AA later.

So if PS4 is 900p PLEASE don't tell me the Xbox One is stuck with 720p again like BF4!!
I think the most likely outcome for the Ps4 version will be 1080p. The beta is more for testing multiplayer matchmaking and features. I think the Xbox one version will likely end up @ 900p or something odd like 1500x1080. Honestly when titles are scaled in only one direction it produces a better image in my opinion. I could be wrong though. I hope the days of 720p titles are over for the One.

I played BF Hardline tonight on Xbox One. You can download it now.
It's fun but the image quality leaves something to be desired.
Sadly I think it might be running at 720p. Lots of aliasing and murky textures.
I'm hoping that's because it's just a beta.

The Frostbite engine really needs a rework for the current gen consoles especially after seeing how good COD AW looked on them while still being 60fps. That BF hardline shot honestly looks worse than some PS3 games.

I played BF Hardline tonight on Xbox One. You can download it now.
It's fun but the image quality leaves something to be desired.
Sadly I think it might be running at 720p. Lots of aliasing and murky textures.
I'm hoping that's because it's just a beta.

if you feel it's running 720p, lol it's probably because it is.
If PS4 is still stuck at 900p. Yea, I'm not surprised to see Xbox still stuck at 720p.

I would have hoped that XBO would have improved here, but the question for XBO and Frostbyte3 is - what is the bottleneck?
Both Fox and Frostbyte @ 60fps seem to operate at only 720p so far. Can't blame Konami as being an isolated incident anymore.

The Frostbite engine really needs a rework for the current gen consoles especially after seeing how good COD AW looked on them while still being 60fps. That BF hardline shot honestly looks worse than some PS3 games.
They may have reduced all textures and such to keep the beta small, much like they've done for Titanfall and Halo 5.

I feel like it'll be a drastic difference on release. I'm not sure what's up with performance though, I guess this is really a beta - or as you say Frostbyte needs a serious re-work

The frame rate on the xbox one hold up well. It feels smoother and faster than BF4. The bank level looks really good. Materials like brass and various metal i thought all looked great. I think Visceral added their own PBR. Honestly the game moves so far the 720p res isn't the worst thing
but I am disappointed. If they can nudged it up to 900p i think it might end up being a great looking game.

Maybe they should look into this newfangled dynamic resolution thing for both platforms ...

Yes the beta of BF Hardline still runs at 720p on XB1. 2 pics of the XB1 beta:

bfhcaayn1u6ulh.png

bfhcaayn114ru3t.png

But the real problem here is not the resolution but:

- The fact that at the same resolution it looks almost worse than BF4.
- The Image quality is terrible, the post AA they use is awful (whether at 900p or 720p, no winner here).

There are solutions now to improve the image quality on sub-1080p games as seen in many games already released:

- Dynamic resolution
- native vertical resolutions (like 1080pr)
- Use of a better AA like the cheap CMAA, even an hybrid AA like the cheap temporal Flip Quad component used in Far Cry 4. Or even a reasonable post AA! Can't they tweak the settings a bit in order to retain a decent level of clarity?
Quantum break, even at 720p, is looking great thanks notably to the great image quality (good AA + good upscaling solution), the same could be said to Ryse.

But we are in the second year of those consoles and they still want us to buy this (PS4 900p pic):

icwvtvnuER7vn.jpg

Like BF4 on PS4 that certainly still doesn't look better than BF4 on PS3.

Back