Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Yes, I've read it in this Digital Foundry article, some time ago.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-has-microsoft-fixed-the-xbox-one-scaler

The question is how they did it, but it all points out to the fact that the hardware upscaler is programmable? So you create an algorithm, send it to the upscaler and it interprets/apply it.

Maybe. It's just an assumption.

But from the start the sharpening filter was a very rough algorithm without even basic image reconstruction or edge anti-aliasing. So the hardware must be very, very limited.

Either 1 - they reprogrammed the old scaler to do some very basic bilinear interpolation upscaling similar to the PS4 scaler (but why didn't they program then to do some basic edge reconstruction and such?)

Or 2 - The sharpening upscaling was done by an additionnal cheap hardware (not programmable) and they simply bypassed it by using the AMD GPU own scaler.

I would tend to support the second hypothesis.

Maybe. It's just an assumption.

But from the start the sharpening filter was a very rough algorithm without even basic image reconstruction or edge anti-aliasing. So the hardware must be very, very limited.

Either 1 - they reprogrammed the old scaler to do some very basic bilinear interpolation upscaling similar to the PS4 scaler (but why didn't they program then to do some basic edge reconstruction and such?)

Or 2 - The sharpening upscaling was done by an additionnal cheap hardware (not programmable) and they simply bypassed it by using the AMD GPU own scaler.

I would tend to support the second hypothesis.

According to vgleaks display planes doc each display plane has its own dedicated hardware scaler. So who knows.

Technical question. The shrinking for dynamic red is horizontal in this case: is it always horizontal resolution that should be shrinking? Or can vertical lines also be removed?

Technical question. The shrinking for dynamic red is horizontal in this case: is it always horizontal resolution that should be shrinking? Or can vertical lines also be removed?

Well Wolfenstein used a similar method to CODAW, but most sub native games scale both the horizontal and vertical. Halo 2 Anniversary has a static res of 1360x1080 and DF says more devs should look into this because it can cause less artifacts.

FYI COD:AW on Xbox One uses dynamic resolution : 1360x1080 -> 1920x1080 locked @ 60fps (PS4 is native 1080P all the time). Good compromise IMO. Similar to Wolfenstein which was great in this regards.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CodAW/comments/2l3s4z/call_of_duty_advanced_warfare_ama_with_shgames/clr8ew1
Dynamic resolution, that's a feature I always like, as long as the framerate is treated with the utmost care.

I wonder if Activision are using the internal upscaler of the Xbox One for that (X1 engineers used to brag about that feature of the upscaler) or a software based one.

j8ttq3ogkgrl6jhl56bc.jpg

Seems like 343 hasn't done a good enough job promoting that all Halo 2 cutscenes were redone at Blur with CG :)

Back