Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

It generally means that the game can be output over a 1080p signal. Those numbers began to exist due to concerns of device compatibility. It's not meant to say anything about the backbuffer.

That is what I was referring to, basically. The box doesn't indicate if it actually renders in 1080p or not.

Anand also has a good look at the difference in NBA2K14.

Xbox One:
xbone-nba2k14crop.png

PS4:
ps4-nba2k14crop.png

I would love it if Anandtech would assume the crown of technical game news. DF has been a let down. Though Anand is an Xbox guy, he is very smart and fair.

It's a kind of weird image - apart from the aliasing at the top, the image looks to be pretty comparable from a resolution and aliasing point of view to the PS4 version...

Looking at the PS4 one again, on the illuminated area "banner" you can see the same aliasing. The steps are pretty much the same in length. They just don't look as noticeable, for whatever reason. Slight blur, less contrast? I don't know. The PS4 definitely looks better, but oddly the aliasing is about the same.

Looking at the PS4 one again, on the illuminated area "banner" you can see the same aliasing. The steps are pretty much the same in length. They just don't look as noticeable, for whatever reason. Slight blur, less contrast? I don't know. The PS4 definitely looks better, but oddly the aliasing is about the same.

Same res, but PS4 has some sort of edge AA. Not entirely clear on what it is without further shots. Probably just post-AA.

I believe there is a bandwidth hit from higher AF.

Bad texture cache performance which does eventually impact bandwidth is the bigger issue.

But I suspect that because it's on a fixed platform your just seeing what the devs felt was a reasonable setting based on the cost.

Wasn't AF an easy performance tweak as well? I think it was you, ERP, who mentioned this years ago, that when the target frame rate is just a bit away, the simple solution is to dial back the AF levels...

Wasn't AF an easy performance tweak as well? I think it was you, ERP, who mentioned this years ago, that when the target frame rate is just a bit away, the simple solution is to dial back the AF levels...

Yeah, it's basically just a number that you provide to the GPU so you can change it very easily without causing any unforeseen side effects.

So then why hasn't it been present in a lot of PS4 games? Just the cross gen blues where they aren't thinking to include PC effects in console development?

Spent some time looking through some of DF's direct captures...

Forza 5 seems to use 2xMSAA on a very early render pass, which subsequently breaks the majority of the time (moreso than in FM3/4). There's also some funky artefacting that goes on with a number of edges that points to some sort of shader error - pixel popping that I'd have normally associated with a naive edge-AA, which does not appear to be present, so it might be some other post-processing issue.

Also, in cockpit view, the physical/actual rear view mirrors show 4xAA on its interior edges, although the reflected image itself doesn't show it (or maybe it's similarly broken). Very strange.

I have been investigating about this game to confirm facts such as the resolution and AA solution used.

First, the game appears to be surprisingly great and very fun for most of the reviewers. The best family game on PS4 for USGamer for instance.

The best screenshots I have found are weird 988p (1680*988) screenshots (with no-AA) which appear to be native. They must have been given to every reviewers for all versions because they are shown both for current gen reviews and for PS4 reviews.

988p image from Destructoid current gen (game reviewed on X360) review with clearly no AA.

LEGO%20Marvel%20SHS_IronMan%20MK1-noscale.jpg

988p image from USGamer PS4 review:
Lego-Marvel-Screenshot-05.jpg

So my conclusion is that as publishers give the best images and materials of the game they have (in most cases), this resolution is probably the resolution of the PS4 (or/and X1) port of this game because I can't see PC with such a strange resolution.

Can anyone having the PS4 game at hand confirm my hypothesis?

Pixel counting of lego marvel superheroes 1080p pic...

So I have maybe confirmed by pixels counting that Lego Marvel Superheroes is native 1080p on PS4.

I found a badly compressed facebook 1080p pic of the PS4 game from neogaf and I isolated a cropped image with a 20*271 resolution (bottom right of the 1080p image). We can easily count 20 steps proving it's 1080p native.

1512167_10201694699822562_1523400611_o.jpg

"20p" aliased edge from this 1080p image with easily 20 "stairsteps" on it.
lego_PS4_1080p_cropped_20p.png

Do you think my analysis is correct? I mean maybe this aliased edge I chose is not suitable for pixel counting?

Back