Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Screen space AO can not be baked in ;) It requires view-dependent information that has to be refreshed every frame.

Yeah, they're using more taps.

Looks to me like they're using more taps on the 360, but giving each sample equal weight (which gives you that pixelated, blocky look in the penumbra). Maybe a 3x3 grid for the PCF samples?

On the PS3 it looks like they're using standard 2x2 PCF where the samples are weighted according to pixel coverage, which gives you a small but smooth penumbra. This is what you get when you use the "hardware PCF" feature of Nvidia and ATI GPU's through D3D9 on the PC.

This is just based off those screens you posted though, I haven't taken a good look at the actual game or any of grandmaster's screengrabs.

Looks to me like they're using more taps on the 360,

I meant on PC. :)

On the PS3 it looks like they're using standard 2x2 PCF where the samples are weighted according to pixel coverage, which gives you a small but smooth penumbra. This is what you get when you use the "hardware PCF" feature of Nvidia and ATI GPU's through D3D9 on the PC.

I thought so (for PS3). But as I understood it, Xenos doesn't have this (nor Fetch4) in "hardware" necessitating a 'manual' implementation. I do remember some discussion circa 2005 regarding these features (or lack thereof), but maybe my memory is failing me. :p

Agreed. PS3 shots look like hardware basic nVidia hardware PCF (bilinear 2x2 PCF). The Xbox screenshots look like point sampling, but it has more samples per pixel. Looks like uniform sampling pattern for each pixel (but not a ordered grid). Per pixel jittered sampling pattern would have looked a bit better (but it requires a little bit extra work in pixel shader). The method they chose suits the Xbox hardware pretty well.

Would be interesting to know if they experimented linear filterable shadow maps (ESM, VSM, etc) on Xbox. Linear filterable shadow maps are perfect fit for the Xbox hardware (free MSAA to blur the shadowmap edges, can use standard bilinear instead of PCF).

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you. The only thing I could spot is the obvious color differences. Beyond that they appear to have the same texture quality and filtering. Anyone take a crack at the res and AA yet?

EDIT: Lens of truth one does look like the 360 has a bit better filtering. The dimmer (missing maybe?) lights were puzzling.

I thought the PS3 was generally better at texture filtering, but the last 2 big MP releases (CoD MW2 and ACII), the 360 version has better texture filtering.

Is the PS3 version using QAA again or is the hazy/blur look because of the lower contrast?

Also, are there different times of day in ACII? Looks like some of them are different.

Some things I noticed:
-Better texture filtering on 360

-Sharper overall image on 360. (QAA vs 2xMSAA again, or is it because of the contrast differences?)

-Texture quality seems the same.

-On the night shots when the character is high up looking over the area, the PS3 has more lit areas / the light sources provide more light.

-The chain fence looks quite different between the two versions in the second last shot at gameswire.

Looks like a big improvement for the PS3 version as far as IQ and framerate/tearing.

Edit: Read the sticky... I guess I was right -- QAA for PS3 and 2xAA for 360 again, just like the first.

A dev at Neogaf is claiming that the PS3 version of AC2 is 1280 x 720 2xaa with the 1080p framebuffer being 960 x 1080 with 2xaa.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18518545&postcount=948

Reading the lens of truth article saying that both versions were 4xaa seemed too high, at least for the PS3.
Do you say this because PS3 games rarely support 4xAA, or because you think the PS3 version has more aliasing? I think the PS3 has smoother edges, but it looks slightly blurrier.

edit: According to the sticky, ACII is the same as the first (just as I thought) -- QAA for PS3 and 2xAA for 360.

I still understand why devs use QAA instead of 2xAA on PS3.

Is the PS3 version using QAA again or is the hazy/blur look because of the lower contrast?

It does look a bit 'washed out' and or blurry. I agree it's either contrast brightness differences or QAA. Then again the link ZeroRay posted had a supposed dev saying 2xAA. I'll wait for one of the beyond3ders to give the final call.

EDIT: Looked at the sticky and they did say QAA. I guess that would account for the slight blur. (I wish QAA would die.)

Also, are there different times of day in ACII? Looks like some of them are different.

Yes there's a day and night cycle.

-On the night shots when the character is high up looking over the area, the PS3 has more lit areas.

Yeah I'm wondering what's up with that shot. Maybe the time of day has something to do with amount of lights turned on or maybe it's dynamic. Then again maybe there's just fewer in the 360. Hard to tell at this point.

Looks like a big improvement for the PS3 version as far as IQ and framerate/tearing.

Definitely. Great progress since AC1.

Do you say this because PS3 games rarely support 4xAA, or because you think the PS3 version has more aliasing? I think the PS3 has smoother edges, but it looks slightly blurrier.

edit: According to the sticky, ACII is the same as the first (just as I thought) -- QAA for PS3 and 2xAA for 360.

The former.

Looking at the sticky now, I wonder when the PS3 versions IQ was deduced. (Hopefully not a page back :smile:) They may have put standard MSAA on to the game recently or the dev might of just gotten it wrong.

QAA makes more sense to me considering how they compare and that the first game used QAA.

I found it interesting that the supposed dev prefers 1080p mode over 720p mode for the PS3 version. For any game that renders at 960x1080 and uses the horizontal scaler, I found that 720p looks better. Anyone know what the game defaults to? (720p or 1080p)

Recently. ;)

Good to know. I guess the IQ differences between the two versions then is just QAA vs 2xAA and slightly better texure filtering on the 360 version? The only problems I can't seem to figure out are the lights in the one screen and the shadows in the other. Will be looking forward to a more thorough look from grandmaster.

ac2z.jpg

ac21.jpg

Difference in lighting? :)

Good to know. I guess the IQ differences between the two versions then is just QAA vs 2xAA and slightly better texure filtering on the 360 version? The only problems I can't seem to figure out are the lights in the one screen and the shadows in the other. Will be looking forward to a more thorough look from grandmaster.

im not an expert but all material and surfaces have an extra shiny look on x360 it may suggest some extra shading going all over the scene . In the other hand there is a less lights sources in x360 version.

Difference in lighting? :)

It's a good question that can only be answered by a decent examination of the respective day/night cycles of the game. Syncing TODs in AC2 is fairly easy - but not in that clip which is preceded by a fair bit of gameplay.

Back