Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

The witcher PS4 1.5 patch adding Pro support:

I can confirm native 4k (3840x2160) on both axis which surprised me. 4x more pixels than base PS4. They must have really optimized their Pro patch.

pDAEPxR.png

SyPCNrt.png

16VTgvG.png

Taken from those 2 (from GAF):
https://i.imgur.com/8iM6psj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/c1YXNTO.jpg

I think they have removed their custom Anti-aliasing solution (looked like 2xMSAA to me) on the geometry edges (which was very expensive on PC). There was never any AA on everything else than geometry edges on TW3 (consoles) BTW. That surely helped them reach native 4K on Pro.

I think they also removed the CA. At 4K everything helps !

Pro native 4K
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4451/36826145503_52967883b6_o.png

Pro 1080p (pre-1.5 patch)
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4511/23643027678_157d9ea781_o.png

Maybe they're doing dynamic resolution since they already support it on xbox?
No evidence of dynamic res on Pro 1.5 yet. The dynamic res was only for the main menu on OG XB1. The real game was always 900p on XB1.

That lack of AA is pretty ugly. Not even some cheap post AA?

Also, why are so many developers focused on native instead of checkerboard? Checkerboard looks almost identical, and it would free up resources for other things like AA.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Also, why are so many developers focused on native instead of checkerboard? Checkerboard looks almost identical, and it would free up resources for other things like AA.

They're patching an old game. I wouldn't expect them to rewrite to add something complicated like checkerboard. Checkerboard resolve is not straightforward, where increasing resolution is relatively easy.

They're patching an old game. I wouldn't expect them to rewrite to add something complicated like checkerboard. Checkerboard resolve is not straightforward, where increasing resolution is relatively easy.
Huh. I was under the impression the Pro had additional hardware that took care of most of the more complicated aspects of checkerboard.

But also... this patch is coming out almost a year after the Pro did. If they wanted something quick and easy, wouldn't it have been out a long time ago?

Huh. I was under the impression the Pro had additional hardware that took care of most of the more complicated aspects of checkerboard.

But also... this patch is coming out almost a year after the Pro did. If they wanted something quick and easy, wouldn't it have been out a long time ago?

It has hardware that makes it easier, but it's still a significant change. I think they delay in the Pro 4k update is probably more of a question of priorities than difficulty.

maybe they use some reconstruction method, if you stand still you get a full 4K image, you should pixel count a screen were the player is moving.

Normally, you always get a full 4k image with 2160 CB. However, we should see some artifacts in motion. But i agree with you, we should wait for more data.

Hey, it appears you're in fact right . I missed it at first but there is some slight post AA actually. Apparently they removed their expensive solution with a cheap post AA. But it's very light and doesn't bur the image and I think it still only applied on the geometry.

NX gamer found what he thinks are CBR artefacts, he thinks the game is using CBR to reach 4K. Also performance is pretty much the same with base PS4.

But personally I have yet to find any CBR artefacts. Even Horizon has artefacts on perfectly still images. If it's 4K CBR it's the best implementation we have seen yet.

Or it could be using a dynamic native 4K / CBR 4K resolution.

I would say anything but msaa on (native) 4k is counter productive. The goal with 4K is crisp imagery so don't muck it up with garbage fxaa or temporal. I guess Smaa 1x is acceptable which is the least blurring post method. Also with regards to temporal ; ghosting is disgusting. Some methods have less than others but it was just gross in something like Uncharted 4. Ratchet and clank was much less egregious with its method.

Not saying softer imagery doesn't have its place in games but for your standard game, I wouldn't sacrifice sharpness for a bit less jaggies.

---

Given what it takes to run the game at 4K on PC i'd be shocked if TW3 wasn't using checkerboard.

Last edited:

NX Gamer's quick look at it
The area in the city where he notices the usual (and very noticeable, even in a compressed 480p youtube video) CBR artefacts is one of the most GPU demanding spot on base PS4 in the city (I know this because the PS4 fan could get pretty loud on this spot). And I definitely have only pixel counted 100% native 4K images with no reconstruction and zero artefacts.

I think the game switches between native 4K and CBR 4K depending of GPU load.

Back