Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Sure it's not temporal AA ala PC?
I am not 100% sure obviously. But I haven't seen neither temporal AA nor post AA clues.

Also It appears the 2x hardware AA is applied only on specific elements of the scenery like houses, objects and characters. The vegetation like the moving trees don't look to be anti-aliased at all.

I am not 100% sure obviously. But I haven't seen neither temporal AA nor post AA clues.

Also It appears the 2x hardware AA is applied only on specific elements of the scenery like houses, objects and characters. The vegetation like the moving trees don't look to be anti-aliased at all.

hm... curious. Maybe it's just done early in the render pipe. :) Haven't seen any complaints about ghosting on console, just on PC (though not a lot).

Anyone want to tweet Marcin Momot? :p

Last edited:
@Globalisateur

YT link

Looks like temporal on console afterall. Note the movement of Geralt and the 2xAA switches off practically instantly.

(also a curious lack of smoke earlier in the video on Xbox o_O edit: maybe a bug? )

Last edited:
That seems like exactly the sort of hint that could suggest a temporal AA.

I want to believe you guys. I really do.

I can easily see the temporal AA artifacts notably in: AC4, Killzone SF, Infamous SS, Far Cry 4, Driveclub and some others games.

But I definitely don't see any temporal AA clues in The Witcher 3 on PS4. no ghosting, even subtle (FC4), no double image of some objects like in AC4 or Infamous SS, no improvement of aliasing in motion seen in KZ (it's the contrary, in motion edges are rather noticeable).

@HTupolev The non-moving trees like the trunks of the very big ones don't have 2x AA either.
@AlNets In motion the 2x AA applied on stuff other than vegetation looks spotty, sporadic. It can be applied on some edges, not on others. Is that the temporal AA effect seen on PC?

Ok guys now I am a firm believer, thanks for your patience!

The Witcher 3 on console, like most of you have already patiently tried to assert here, does use a 2x super sampling Temporal AA and it's a very good one, the ghosting effect is not super easy to spot indeed.

That's why the game look so great even in motion, because their temporal AA (and the super sampling effect) is very stable and works even in moderately slow motion with very little ghosting, less than in FC4, their TAA being much more stable (and better) than in AC4 / InfamousSS, and in fact their supersampling is also anti-aliased at the same time to look like 2xMSAA. It's also better than 2xMSAA because everything is super sampled, no only the geometry...

Very ingenious stuff and no wonder it's not really cheap on the GPU, the advantage is that the cost should roughly scale linearly only with the resolution, like all postAAs (costing ~9% of fps here).

I had to search for the right speed to capture those ghosting effects on my PS4 with adequate high contrasts:

TLwb.png
SLwb.png
RLwb.png

Also it explains the discrepancy of increased clarity of the PS4 1080p image versus XB1 900p image, no need for reduced AF on XB1: textures + chromatic aberration + 2x supersampling at 1080p versus the same 3 features at only 900p; all 3 combined make the perceived clarity difference between the 2 images slightly bigger than usual. Well that's my personal and final opinion anyway.

Supersampling isn't a form of post process AA and it certainly isn't being applied in a console game given the ludicrous performance cost. That is unless you're talking about a different kind of super sampling to that used on PC via the likes of DSR.

At least for PS360 era, temporal SSAA goes as far back as MGS4. I'm not sure Halo: Reach's is that exactly (half-pixel offset with quincunx blend), but it does make considerable difference to the specular aliasing (of course, obliterated by any camera movement).

I suppose it'd be more akin to MSAA as I don't think the actual textures get any better since higher res rendering would mean better mip selection, and you don't really get that with just blending last-frame. Of course, as I mentioned just now, other things seemed better handled like shader aliasing.

"super" would be in a different context I suppose as you're still using "more" than the current pixels, but not the same as rasterizing 2x pixels.

Last edited:
Obviously I am not talking about 2xSSAA but more a "perceived supersampling effect" because of the re-projected pixels of the last frame due to the TAA. From my experience comparing games with and games without, the "supersampling effect" works.

Fair enough, yes I'm taking 2x supersampling to mean rendering internally at 2x the output resolution and then downsampling to 1080p. Clearly something the consoles would never do in a graphically complex game like this.

Pretty tough to find a decent edge what with all the post-processing and CA, eventually found something at the Police Station.
Tough but not impossible. Those idiots didn't make it dark enough. MORE BLACK! Hide everything in the black! :yep2:

EDIT: Sorry those pics are from the XB1 game, so an approximate ~1920x620 resolution would fit with XB1 normal 1920x640 resolution, so as much pixels as before.

Very sorry about this!

d97Untitled011.jpg

Untitled012.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh so the update is a vertical rescaler rather than black bars? I hope this is a toggle?

Yup, removes black bars, but keeps same render resolution (adjusted vertical FOV I imagine), then upscaled to fit the 16:9.

It's a toggle in the menu somewhere afaik.

Back