IGN Motostorm review:

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/768/768820p1.html

6.5 Presentation
The small number of tracks and lack of gameplay options hurts this category quite a bit.
9.0 Graphics
Largely fantastic, the cars are excellently detailed, lightning is silky-smooth and the crash are simply "wow". Some shadows have low-res samples, however.
9.0 Sound
Great engine sounds, explosive crash effects and a rocking soundtrack fill out the audio portion.
9.0 Gameplay
Intense. Furious. Exhilarating. If only there were more options...
7.5 Lasting Appeal
The online play is fantastic fun, but lack of different race types can make it a bit repetitive after a while. Also, no split-screen will disappoint some folks.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Should be a good seller for PS3. From playing the demo, only the bike interest me since they're actually somewhat fast. The trucks are quite slow even with boost. We'll see how the retail game takes care of that.

Kind of low for a game that was is being positioned as a system seller. Though its just one review score, others might be better.

Kind of low for a game that was is being positioned as a system seller. Though its just one review score, others might be better.

I think that's accurate. Lasting appeal is a very important thing. I think a few more tracks and options and it would be a 9+ game. In the long run I believe it will be because I have no doubt they will add tracks and other downloadable features eventually.

maybe a little low. it did get the Editor's Choice.

ill be getting this game for sure.

the main thing that brought the score down, was the low number of tracks. they will probably add more on the psn. and considering how much i played the demo (1 track) i think ill spend lots of time playing this.

I think that's accurate. Lasting appeal is a very important thing. I think a few more tracks and options and it would be a 9+ game. In the long run I believe it will be because I have no doubt they will add tracks and other downloadable features eventually.
agreed.

I thought this game had 50+ tracks?

Or is that Forza 2 style tracks: 12 "environments" but "47 tracks" i.e. 12 tracks and 47 courses on those tracks.

Good score. I actually expected lower. Not that it wont be an amazing game (because the gameplay is awesome and I can't wait to play next week), but it seems like its missing a couple features that are usually standard in racing games.

I agree with their complaints though. Online should be a blast, we gotta get some b3d races going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good score. I actually expected lower. Not that it wont be an amazing game (because the gameplay is awesome and I can't wait to play next week), but it seems like its missing a couple features that are usually standard in racing games.

At least there's hope (and statements from the devs) that some of those features might be available via online updates later ...

I thought this game had 50+ tracks?

Or is that Forza 2 style tracks: 12 "environments" but "47 tracks" i.e. 12 tracks and 47 courses on those tracks.

Well, regardless, unlike normal racing games, I believe this game has many different paths to take per "track" and this is one of the strengths in the game. The number of permutations would probably be well over 50+ even if theres only 12 of these courses.

When you want more, microtransaction is your friend :p A perfect experiment for it in the early stage.

How many tracks does this thing have? Sometimes it is well to look at the multiplicity within the tracks (how much deformation changes each experience...etc). Some great games have only had a few tracks (AM2 sEGA race games, Twisted Metal, Mario Kart) and the expertise gamers gain in them can create a fun and balanced atmosphere where everyone knows the tracks intimately.

Yeah downloading new tracks will likely happen.

guys
this generation of games it doesn't seem very fair that these type of gamess are being rated considering only what the disc has inside when they ship.
Its obvious that the producers are shipping the games with downloadable content in mind, to milk us some more.

So, i think games reviews should be edited when a download appears that corrects the most criticized aspect of the game initially. Or at least take this into account if they only review a game once at the beginning.

"what about the guys without internet....." well, welcome to 2007? i don't know. i'm not to decide

I agree later ratings should be added, but at launch these reviews are perfectly acceptable. I want to know the value of what I'm buying and taking home, rather than what it might become in the future. If a game gets a low(er) score and then un update improves it, the review site can host an updated score and a mini re-review extolling the benefits of the game with it's new patch.

I agree later ratings should be added, but at launch these reviews are perfectly acceptable. I want to know the value of what I'm buying and taking home, rather than what it might become in the future. If a game gets a low(er) score and then un update improves it, the review site can host an updated score and a mini re-review extolling the benefits of the game with it's new patch.

Absolutely. Remember how Killzone: Liberation for PSP was promised a patch for online play? It's still not there yet. While I don't discount the possibility that it is still coming, it's not there right now. The review should evaluate what you get now. It can mention plans for updates for sure, but until they have actually been delivered, you can't evaluate them. So a review update is certainly a good idea. The Dutch OPM always reviews games separately off-line and online, which is a good idea also. An additional score for downloadable content would help too. But it makes scoring a game harder and harder.

One step further, if sites were to review based on 'potential', the reviews and scores would be much more positive. More positive reviews would result in better sales early on and this would actually remove the incentive for the developers/publishers to go back and fix the issues or add the content. So i see the tact taken byt he IGN review as not only fair, but necessary.

guys
this generation of games it doesn't seem very fair that these type of gamess are being rated considering only what the disc has inside when they ship.
Its obvious that the producers are shipping the games with downloadable content in mind, to milk us some more.

So, i think games reviews should be edited when a download appears that corrects the most criticized aspect of the game initially. Or at least take this into account if they only review a game once at the beginning.

"what about the guys without internet....." well, welcome to 2007? i don't know. i'm not to decide

Nope. Publishers should be punished for releasing incomplete games, punished by way of lower revies and sales. It's the only way they'll ever learn, not that I think they ever will...

guys

Bullocks on that.

I am expecting to see reviews on the game I purchase from the store, not the game I may not even get to play because of any additional microtransactions that would be added for more content. Free or Pay.

I think this is a solid review and sums up exactly what Motorostorm is. We're talking about a racer here.

Back