Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Review up!

rabidrabbit said:
:LOL:
3dilettante's comment made me think of what was the gay Raiden a metaphor in MGS2 :?

I think he was used as a metaphor for how easily people can be lead to believe something by manipulating information.
Some people say that this is further expanded in that Raiden is also a symbol of the players of the game. Since all the initial publicity focused only on the section of the game you played as Snake, it showed how selective revelations could mislead players into thinking they would play as Snake throughout.

I guess it's possible that there's some deep philisophical meaning to that. Seems kind of iffy to me, as it's not too hard to get anyone to fail to suspect something so out of left field.
It's not as extreme as bait and switch, but I don't think trading Snake for Raiden lead to a rise in the Badass-O-Meter.

Also, how many times was the phrase "Sons of Liberty" actually mentioned? I can only remember it being said near the end.

Johnny Awesome said:
I won't trash the game because I haven't played it, but 10 for graphics does seem like a stretch.

For ps2? Compared to other PS2 games? Difficult to say.
Of course, if you compare it to HL2 on maximum settings running on a X800, then using the same logic no GBA game will ever deserve more than 1. But that's not how reviews should work.

So MGS3 must be graphically disappointing just because it doesn't have fagging neon gkreen and pingk in every other screen.

If it had lazer and plazma weaponz, that would add some colour to the graphix and then it would deserve 10!!!

Hey, I'd give ZoE2 close to a 10 for PS2 GFX and that game is what, a year and a half now since it released in Japan? More?

I don't think it's fair to judge gfx on an absolute scale where the top of the line PC games running on SLI'd 6800Us with antialias and the whole shebang is at one end and ZX81 is at the other. We should judge each console from their own perspective.

Also, scores are constantly shooting at moving targets, if Mario64 scored 10 for playability for example, does that mean no game can be more fun than it was? And is that true for ALL genres, ie, Splinter Cell-type sneaky FPS type game can't be more fun than bright primary color platform-hopper? ;) Naturally we must allow for the next greatest thing to come along and supercede older games even though we gave older games top score in the past. :p

Maybe some people expect future titles to deserve more, with reviews shooting up 15's and 27's........ and the numbers would go up and up, with PS5 having scores in the 80's (on a scale from 1 to 10 of course)... Err...

I haven't seen much of MGS3, so i don't have much of an opinion (will avoid this game, half my brain was fucked after playing MGS2), but I'd give Ico2 a 10, just out of the screens and vids i've seen.
Also Zoe2 and Jak2. SH3 too.

(As you might have noticed, i'm a bit behind on PS2 releases, haven't touched my PS2 for ages. Still ina box at the top of my wardrobe...)

london-boy said:
(As you might have noticed, i'm a bit behind on PS2 releases, haven't touched my PS2 for ages. Still ina box at the top of my wardrobe...)

There is room in there for something other than over priced credit card killing clothes? ;)

sytaylor said:
london-boy said:

There is room in there for something other than over priced credit card killing clothes? ;)

It's sitting right next to a bag full of leather chaps. And chains. My toy box.

london-boy said:
sytaylor said:
london-boy said:

It's sitting right next to a bag full of leather chaps. And chains. My toy box.

If that's the kind of toys you prefer, you could try the Rez Trance vibrator, give some good use to your PS2. :LOL: ;)

Johhny, trust me when I say this, MGS3 is easily one of if not the best looking PS2 game there is. The amount of detail and loveliness and tightness of art direction are just phenomenal. I've been playing Jak 3 demo the other day, and while I know it's technically doing some things that MGS3 doesn't, it's visual impact just pales in comparision. (Jak 3 does have an absolutely awesome looking realtime intro sequence though, and really does look great in it's own right - they even improved the textures and added even more geometry compared to Jak 2, somewhat to an expense of the framerate, though)

I don't think it's fair to judge gfx on an absolute scale where the top of the line PC games running on SLI'd 6800Us with antialias and the whole shebang is at one end and ZX81 is at the other. We should judge each console from their own perspective.
Not only that, but one shouldn't just judge games from the perspective of technical features used in it, but also from how the whole 'picture' actually looks like. What good are the most complex pixel shaders in the latest imaginary PC game, if the game just looks ugly?

Anyways, here are all the reviews so far that I know of:
EGM - 9.5
1up - 9.5 (different score and reviewer from EGM's review)
Gamespot - 8.7 (you should read the review, though, it's very well written, and makes it clear that for the fans of the series this is the best game yet - only it's not reviewed from the perspective of a fan)
Gamespy - 9.0
IGN - 9.6
Yahoo Games - 9.0
metalgearsolid.org (amazingly good fansite, btw) - 9.5

Marco, it is indeed a great & beautiful game with a superb art direction, no need to post a multitude of scores to validate that. But for someone with such a discriminating eye, you noticed absolutely no difference in VJ on the PS2, you actually believe the RE4 port will be nigh identical to the GC one due to Onimusha 3, (which despite being pretty, isn't even in the same league imo) etc. I'm a huge Nintendo fan as you know, but you don't even own a GC to make any type of visual comparisons. 30fps doesn't even bother you now, in reality it shouldn't have in the 1st place.

I will be buying this game, even after the Raiden & plot fiasco that was SOL. :cry: (mainly because I played it at E3, as well as the demo. An engrossing & coherent story is secondary in a game of this magnitude. As it was with SOL.) It definitely is one of the best looking PS2 games to date, KCEJ-W & Kojima are among the elite developers across any platform, esp. in regards to gameplay.

But for someone with such a discriminating eye, you noticed absolutely no difference in VJ on the PS2, you actually believe the RE4 port will be nigh identical to the GC one due to Onimusha 3, (which despite being pretty, isn't even in the same league imo) etc. I'm a huge Nintendo fan as you know, but you don't even own a GC to make any type of visual comparisons. 30fps doesn't even bother you now, in reality it shouldn't have in the 1st place.
Hey wow, way to warp my words on everything I've said... I don't think I've ever said I believe that RE4 port will be nigh identical, I just said I don't expect it to look like total crap like some people expected it to be. I cited Onimusha 3 only for it's use of fire effect on PS2 when someone mentioned he thinks the port would have to have much downgraded fire effects, and also because it's one of the better PS2 engines in general especially when it comes to all kinds of lighting and post-procesing effects.

30FPS in MGS3 bothered me, and I was quite explicit about it. But what am I going to do about it? Sit and cry? Or learn to live with it and accept that some corners had to be cut to make the game look as good as it does :\

As for VJ port, I said I played GC version long time ago and for maybe 10-15 minutes. Hell, some people who compared it closely find so little difference, and I certainly don't have a photographic memory.

Oh, and the thread title is 'MGS3 review' - I posted the review scores not to justify anything, but because it's relevant to the thread topic.

Back