Killzone review (IGN)

Dave,

would you be happy playing HALO3 with much better graphics if it ment it had a consistent framerate of 15?

(PS. You can substitute HALO3 with GT4 of course if you wish)

I'm in an unusual case here, as I have had little to no buildup for Killzone, at all. I wasn't aware of the claims, the hype, or that this was a Sony pet production. I wasn't even aware of what Killzone was (or that Halo was to be its chief competitor) until I saw the TV commercial.

So I finally picked it up on rental on Sat (because of that TV commercial). I have only played it a few hours since then (not out of disinterest, of course). What I have seen is pretty impressive, as far as similar works out for PS2 right now. Sure it doesn't have seamlessly fluid framerates. I can't really judge from the AI, yet. To me, it doesn't have to be a "Halo-killer" (and I believe anyone who can only see it in that one dimension is focusing on the wrong aspects for why this game exists). It just has to be entertaining. So far it has been, and I look forward to jumping back into the game soon. This is coming from an average laymen to videogames, not the connuseur extraordinaire of FPS masters.

So far, the things that have stood out to me are the very high production value that is put into this game- from the menu screens to the cutscenes to the actual gameplay. This was not to be the project of some small backroom developer turning out "just another fps". Also, the quality, orchestration, and layering of sound effects are simply fantastic! Very immersive- I give high kudos when the effort has been put in for excellent sound, instead of just being the afterthought (which seems to be happening a lot lately). The music score is notably inspiring (to the likes of the first Colony Wars and Medal of Honor)- not just some cheap, generic soundtrack.

So that's all I have now, and it is enough to draw me back for more. I think that is a good sign. I don't hold it out as the end-all/be-all of FPS's, nor does it have to be to be worthy of praise. If you can jump into it with an open mind in search of entertainment (and otherwise give your "inner chickenhawk" some indulgence), I am confident at this point to say you will enjoy this game.

Dave Glue said:
Uh...looking at TimeSplitters2, it's no wonder it runs at 60fps. If you won't accept an FPS that doesn't have a framerate of 60, you're not going to be too happy with most console FPS's, and modern FPS's on PC's that aren't run on high-end rigs.
You don't need a "high end rig," really. The good thing about PC FPS'es, at least, is that you can constantly tweak them to aim for your own personal--optimal--graphics/performance mix. It's not always that "I must have 60" but rather "30 is just not enough" for some people. Consoles, however, don't really aim for anything but 30 or 60.

Who thinks it is very extreme to miss a game because of 30/60fps? Bad fps is one thing, 30/60fps is another. A lot of good games run at good 30fps, wasteful to miss those.

In other news, GS new MGS3 preview is up, and some content may be shocking...
The game's visuals are quite impressive (especially those cutscenes), but they're also not quite as impressive as MGS2's visuals were for their time. That's partly because MGS2 was the first installment in the series on the PlayStation 2, but also partly because that game maintained a silky-smooth frame rate throughout, whereas this one does not. Granted, MGS3's environments are much more complex, filled with dense foliage, rustling leaves, little scurrying animals, and so on, but all this comes at the expense of a little graphical polish.

Some yardstick of MGS games this gen, MGS2 ran at 60fps with little slowdowns. MGS2S ran at 60fps with some slowdowns, particularly bad in Snake Tales. MGS3 demo ran at 30fps with quite some slowdowns. MGS3-?-(past comments led me to believe fps is fixed for retail version at solid 30fps, but this new preview by GS, im not sure now)

Besides the point that this should have been posted in the MGS3 thread, curiousity gets the better of me:

pahcman said:
MGS3 demo ran at 30fps with quite some slowdowns.

On what stance did you decide that the demo was running at 30fps?

That MGS3 demo is crap. :( Why use the same camera? It may work in small spaces like a corridor but it doesn't work in a wide open jungle. You need to start fannying around with the bins to look if there's any enemies about. :devilish:

Konami should have gone for the system used in Splinter Cell.

london-boy said:
I might not have been in the loop much lately... But... What demo? What link?

The time limited OPM(US) Demo. Yes it was 30Hz, there were indeed a few slowdowns, and it have strangely long loading times for the (numerous) codec discussions.
The codec loadings are supposed to be better in the final product. I don't know about the frame rate issues.

The game looks really good, and the new gameplay mechanics are really cool, though.

FWIW, I can say that the view angle (not a disturbingly wide angle) in Killzone seems most natural and least obstrusive for my tastes. I have suffered very little in the way of headaches from my playing sessions. This is in stark contrast to numerous other fps's I've played which left me doubled over on the couch for an hour or so. I remember Timesplitters and Half-Life being being too wide-angle-ish for me- giving me very intense headaches if I played too long. True, you can squeeze more scenery into a frame with an aggressive wide-angle filter, but it really exacts a toll on certain users who are sensitive to "natural human viewing". So I applaud the KZ developers for this choice. It will allow me to enjoy the game more, rather than just trying to get to the end of the game.

Is it possible that going with a more linear lense angle had the side-benefit of allowing KZ to squeak to a 30 fps rating? (the idea being, slightly less scenery to render frees up a slight amount of GPU resources which results in a small boost in frame rate?)

Aside from that, the 30 fps seems adequate for the game (obviously, not ideal, but if you can't get 60, you can't get it). The game is noticeably smoother than past PS2 games that were overtly 24 fps bound. The scenes seem well populated with "stuff" to keep the game engine busy. There are a few video glitches here and there, but nothing far out of line from what I've seen in past games.

The only misgivings I have is that there are a lot of "doors" in the levels of this game that are simply there for decoration, as they are pretty clearly baked right into the texture. Looks kind of tacky. Though I realize they can't just make every door something that leads somewhere, they could at least still make it out of polygons, and when you go to try "action" on them, they would just make the "locked close" sound. That would be fine for me. It's the doors that physically do not exist slapped everywhere like wall pictures that seems odd to me.

Also the course through tightly closed-in areas with broken pavement/foundations seem unnecessarily hard to navigate. Where there seems to be some "secret" path you have to discover through it, a real human should have no problem just stepping over surface perturbations and taking a direct path.

I am still enjoying my passage through the game, however.

Yup, excellent game.

I've played through the entire campaign and spent a few hours on multiplayer (offline with bots). It's fantastic. I love the war-torn environs and the gritty, realistic visuals. The Helghast are some of the coolest-looking enemies in recent memory. And the game's intense, all right.

Some technical glitches, but given the immersiveness of the game, I don't mind - I'm having too much fun.

What's the deal with dudes with glowing eye goggles, anyway? Did they steal the poly model from some Splinter Cell developers next door? These guys aren't very good at the stealth tactic, eh? Maybe they are all the Splinter Cell dropouts? ...and why would we hear their com chatter?

randycat99 said:
What's the deal with dudes with glowing eye goggles, anyway?

Why are these soldiers using glowing eye goggles in daytime? Aren't these infrared goggles?

I had no idea that poking fun at the glowing goggle dudes (do they have a Las Vegas act like the Blue Man Group?) was such an offensive topic. :p

...and tell me something else, what kind of group of combat posers (in this game) would run around in stark daylight wearing glowing goggles? Isn't that a touch pretentious, or do they think that will scare the enemy just that bit more?

randycat99 said:
...and tell me something else, what kind of group of combat posers (in this game) would run around in stark daylight wearing glowing goggles? Isn't that a touch pretentious, or do they think that will scare the enemy just that bit more?

Just leave it as a cool factor! :D

From IGN-KZ forum

Do you class yourself as a real Killzone fan? Are you waiting with baited breath for this awesome game to hit the shelves? Do you want to be the envy of gamers everywhere? Then you need to get the Killzone Collector's Edition.

This is the ultimate version of Killzone and an essential purchase for serious Helghast fanatics. First of all, you'll get a full copy of the game, packed with some of the most awesome graphics, audio and kick-ass gameplay ever to grace the PS2. Add to this the stunning online multiplayer game modes and Killzone will blow away anything you have on your shelves already. But the game is just the tip of the Collector's Edition iceberg.

In addition, you'll get the Killzone Bonus Disc that is exclusive to the Killzone Collector's Edition. This disc is throbbing with Killzone content you won't find anywhere else. Exclusive videos including the first ever Killzone footage that Sony Executives ever saw, a 12 minute Making Of documentary, featuring interviews with the core Guerrilla team, and exclusive Cutscene Animatics showing Guerrilla staff leaping around with water pistols (a small taster of which is coming soon to this site).

The Bonus Disc also showcases the ear-pounding Killzone soundtrack, recorded by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, and gives you access to more pre-production artwork than you could ever need, including stunning concept art for the vehicles and weapons and detailed renders of the ISA and Helghast stars.

All this astounding Killzone material will be presented in the world's first metal PS2 game box. The "Steelbook" packaging is made of pressed aluminium and features full-colour graphics inked onto both sides of the cool metal. It's not just a slip cover either; a powerful hinge opens the solid Steelbook box revealing the Killzone game disc and Bonus Disc. This is the coolest packaging ever, for the coolest game ever.

What's more, there will only be 30,000 Collector's Edition sets in the world... ever. So if you want to be in with a chance with being one of the elite few to own the Killzone Collector's Edition, you'll have to be quick. You have been warned.

thanks KILLZONEPS2.com

Is it true?

Yes there will be a 'Collectors Edition' for PAL regions, not sure about other regions.

(UK)

Killzone £29.99
Killzone - Collectors Edition £39.99

Back