IGN Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Review

Serenity Painted Death said:
You'll probably never see another port of a MGS game from its native system. The xbox port sold HORRIBLY.

From what I heard the Xbox port was quite horrible in itself with slowdown whereas the PS2 had none.

Only in some places I heard - and even then, I'd say the port wasn't that bad since it was more or less stable in most places with only the very fillrate demanding areas (Tanker / Rain) suffering under excessive slowdowns. Some games just don't port well.

Phil said:
Only in some places I heard - and even then, I'd say the port wasn't that bad since it was more or less stable in most places with only the very fillrate demanding areas (Tanker / Rain) suffering under excessive slowdowns. Some games just don't port well.

I'm sure they could have reprogrammed the rain to have better performance on the xbox, just as halo pc could have been reprogrammed to have better performance on a PC, it's the consequence of doing a straight port.

Oh, I don't think either MGS port on PC sold well either, though the PC MGS2 was a buggy mess that will barely run correctly now. You have to set the graphical settings to low just to get character models to display, and then you lose out on a lot of other crap, not to mention AA doesn't work at all.

Fox5 said:
I'm sure they could have reprogrammed the rain to have better performance on the xbox, just as halo pc could have been reprogrammed to have better performance on a PC, it's the consequence of doing a straight port.

I'm not sure I see the link between Halo and MGS2 here: MGS2 (as ZOE and later ZOE2) is one of the games that is more so taking advantages of PS2's hardware than many other efforts - naturally, such a game would be harder to replicate on different hardware than others. PS2 does have a fillrate advantage, one that was surely taken advantage of in the specific example I mentioned. Without changing the game too much, I'm not sure how that other hardware could replicate that scene well.

The general perception that Xbox is the 'more powerful' console and thus should be able to run anything that was designed to run well on other hardware better certainly can not be applied here. Halo has little to do with this and is a whole different basket of fruits. Having said that and considering what kind of a game MGS2 is, I would say it's quite an achievement how well it did in fact run on Xbox sans some slowdown and halfed framerate.

Anyway, this has been discussed to death in the past - perhaps doing an advanced search might be better before dragging this thread any more off-topic.

I bought the game and jumped straight into a few Boss Fights. I know Kojima (or maybe Konami) will be banking on the multiplayer aspect of Subsistence but I (a) don't have the required hardware and (b) I don't really fancy Internet games :oops:

As for the new freelook camera system : I played the game all over again using the new camera and my verdict is that it doesn't really "transform" the game. All it probably does is maybe make the game less time-consuming and almost definitely make the game easier. There was only ever one instance where I greatly appreciated this new camera, and that is during a Boss Fight (yes!), specifically, "The End" boss ( he never got a chance to replenish his stamina because the new camera just allowed me to follow him wherever he went after almost every time I MK22'ed him; very satisfying and so very much less frustrating indeed).

Sorry for bringing back up what appears to be a dead topic. To make this topic more relevant, perhaps someone can tell us his experience with Subsistence multiplayer game.

Multiplayer is alright, however the control scheme is not suited for the quick action required for multiplayer games.

It can be very frustrating trying to make the precision shots required for a headshot and the autoaim feature makes killing someone like those carnival game where you have to squirt water on the clowns mouth to make the knick-knack go up, the first person basically to pull the trigger dies.

However the Rescue and Capture missions are really great and involves a lot of team work. Deathmatch is just insane.

Overall it's a good first stab but, they still have a lot to learn. Hopefully they'll get things straightened out for MGS4.

I'm reviving this thread because it was just released in Europe last week. I've just ordered it at 37 euro (should be the 3 disc version but that matters little), and I was wondering if other people are doing / have done the same.

Didn't buy Subsistence because I personally think the camera makes the game far too easy. I really hope MGS4 will have the traditional camera system (or at least as a default option or at a certain difficulty-setting).

Old chool camera pwns. But i can understand why he added it in Substitence. Jungle is hard place to navigate, and you dont have radar so you cannot track enemies as you can do in MGS1/2.

I'm reviving this thread because it was just released in Europe last week. I've just ordered it at 37 euro (should be the 3 disc version but that matters little), and I was wondering if other people are doing / have done the same.

Well, I got it and it's the three disc version all-right! After all the MGS4 stuff it's starting to look a little dated, but it's very action packed! It'll take a good while for me to get to grips with the whole affair - considering my list of things to do, probably never, but hey. ;)

So far it looks neat. The manual is Dutch only, and online support includes USB keyboard support for chatting and such, including Dutch shortcuts. So you can see partly where all the extra time went that they needed for this release. I'd have settled for everything in English, but still.

I started the game a few times and immediately noticed some differences again depending on what you select for previous experience. For instance, if you say this is your first MGS, then you get a fairly regular intro, but if you say you liked MGS2, then you get an intro where Snake wears a Raiden like disguise, which he pulls off once he's landed.

After that, I've mostly drowned myself in the swamp and got bitten by some alligators. There were girls watching and waiting for dinner, and I didn't want to keep them. ;) Some more serious gaming soon, and an attempt to play the game online. I may just try to host a game and not take part, as according to the manual that is possible (very cool).

If you have any questions about the EU version let me know.

Fox5 said:
Oh, I don't think either MGS port on PC sold well either, though the PC MGS2 was a buggy mess that will barely run correctly now. You have to set the graphical settings to low just to get character models to display, and then you lose out on a lot of other crap, not to mention AA doesn't work at all.

The character model business if fixable on some graphics cards by downloading the ATI patch and doing a little hex editing. Shouldn't really have to do that though.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize how old that post was.

I finally found my old s-video cable back, which means I can plug my PS3 into my PC and do some screengrabs again. Even though it's a crappy old Hauppage, I'm still very happy I have it up and running again, partly thanks to the great DScaler free software.

Interestingly enough MGS3 PAL renders at 640x512.

(I disabled DScaler's de-interlacing, but that doesn't really matter obviously)

forest.png

And some good news, the 3rd disc has chapters. The U.S. version didn't have chapters, right? Or something. Or maybe that was just a demo/test version only for reviewers ... ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally found my old s-video cable back, which means I can plug my PS3 into my PC and do some screengrabs again. Even though it's a crappy old Hauppage, I'm still very happy I have it up and running again, partly thanks to the great DScaler free software.

Interestingly enough MGS3 PAL renders at 640x512.

(I disabled DScaler's de-interlacing, but that doesn't really matter obviously)

http://www.niwra.nl/tmp/forest.png

And some good news, the 3rd disc has chapters. The U.S. version didn't have chapters, right? Or something. Or maybe that was just a demo/test version only for reviewers ... ?

Whats in the third disc?

Maybe that was a review copy problem then.

Anyway, I got the game going online and it worked great, flawlessly first time. Hooked up the keyboard too, works neat. Setting up games is easy but flexible, and the online games are a lot of fun (but I suck, having never even finished a regular MGS SP), and the whole setup really well thought out, with being able to queue up several games after one another, lots of weapons and areas to choose from, 5 different gametypes, and some nice stats and rankings. All in all pretty awesome!

I also like the dedicated host feature - here you can watch the game from all sorts of angles, while not playing yourself, and that's great fun too.

Back