IGN Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Review

wow I'll be picking this up for sure... ugg now I need my network adapter again :( I sold it thinking I could never use it.. I had for a good two years.. lol Oh well

I'm tempted to get it even though I've played the original (MGS3:SE) through a couple of times, just because of th enew view and multiplayer, and the 1st Metal Gear port of course!

I've got this on preorder, the limited edition with the 3.5 hour DVD movie version of Snake Eater. I just wished they game played in progressive scan and widescreen as well, I swear that between the lack of widescreen and the overscan compensation the game only fills about half my screen.

I should've got Snake Eater they day it came but.................I dont know what happen.
I might as well get this then. Maybe I'll brush the dust off my NA.

EGM gave it two 10 and 9.5, Famitsu Weekly gave it a 10/10. And it's only $30 (I thought it was going for $50 before I check tonight). Damn, I need to get my PS2 back online (DVD reading issues).

.Z

-NakedZ- said:
EGM gave it two 10 and 9.5, Famitsu Weekly gave it a 10/10. And it's only $30 (I thought it was going for $50 before I check tonight). Damn, I need to get my PS2 back online (DVD reading issues).

.Z

Actually its $40 if you want the limited edition that includes the "movie disc". $30 for the regular.

(DVD reading issues).

.Z[/QUOTE]

That could probably be fixed if you cleaned the lens. I borrowed a 3000 series from my friend and it couldn't read regular music cd's, gt4 and 3, and ps1 games. Don't remember if I ever tried DVDs but that probably didn't work too. Cleaned the lens and it was like new (lens was shitty as hell)

And with clean I mean open it and use some chemical. :)

Does anybody know any online retailers selling the LE? I have to import it to Canada since the LE is only US from what I hear at GAF.

And it looks like the Metal Gear Saga is really hard to come by. :cry:

Saw Gamer TV few hours back, they had an interview with Hideo Kojima and his fav MGS game in the series is MGS (PS1). :smile:

Amazing games, really. Having played all MGS titles, I would say MGS3 beats them all. I would really like to get a hold of Subsistence... if only I could find a UK copy of it in my country!

Hmm, I'm surprised no news of a PC or Xbox port yet. The other two MGS's recieved ports for their rereleases.

If they were porting it, am sure we would've heard about it by now. At this point I doubt because I would assume most of the team is moving on to MGS4.

Does anyone know if :

a) Subsistence allows you to load any saved game from the original MGS3?
b) Subsistence has the Boss Fight OOTB or is it like MGS2, where you need to finish the game first before this Boos Fight option becomes available?

I ask because, although I like MGS3 a lot and have played it a few times (mostly to look for all those pesky green frogs, something which I gave up doing!), I really liked its Boss Fights more than anything and if the answers to (a) and (b) above are in the negative, then it really would be an annoyance (because it would mean having to play the game all over again just to enable the Boss Fight option).

If it isn't obvious, yes, I'd buy this game just for the Boss Fight option (and, of course, to experience how cool the free-look camera system would be).

Ghost of D3D said:
Does anyone know if :

a) Subsistence allows you to load any saved game from the original MGS3?
b) Subsistence has the Boss Fight OOTB or is it like MGS2, where you need to finish the game first before this Boos Fight option becomes available?

I ask because, although I like MGS3 a lot and have played it a few times (mostly to look for all those pesky green frogs, something which I gave up doing!), I really liked its Boss Fights more than anything and if the answers to (a) and (b) above are in the negative, then it really would be an annoyance (because it would mean having to play the game all over again just to enable the Boss Fight option).

If it isn't obvious, yes, I'd buy this game just for the Boss Fight option (and, of course, to experience how cool the free-look camera system would be).

The Boss Fight option is on the second disc, and is separate from the main game. You should be able to jump right into it. ;)

Yeah, I haven't bothered to try but I'm pretty sure it is avalable from the start. No loading old saves though unfortunately.

Ghost of D3D said:

Huh? I am pretty sure you can do "Boss Fight" in the normal MGS3 version. Or was that added to the European/PAL release only? I know I can select any boss from the game....

Cheers Phil

Back