How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Give people $5-10 Live/PSN credit for answering questions like do plan to buy a PS5/XSX, Y/N. If Y, at launch or later.
That might be a $200 million survey! One of the stats companies could get a good idea for a lot less money. You also can't be sure votes are accurate. People may intend to when asked, but not when faced with actually making the purchase for any number of unforseeable factors.

I personally thoroughly enjoyed Inside Xbox and the slew of games that were shown but there is simply no denying the tepid response when compared to yesterday's Epic showing.
tu7C5yj.jpg

And the one that I find especially funny but also a little overly dramatic.

KVzSlqb.jpg

Sony has essentially galvanized the association of next gen unreal engine graphics and PS5. Every article and video mentions in some way PS5 and Tim Sweeney's comments on PS5 SSD. This has been a very effective marketing strategy either by Epic but mostly both Epic and Sony were involved. Sony also debuted a demo of UE4 on consoles with PS4 and UE3 on PS3.
I totally agree and the results are out there for all to see.

Somehow Sony has turned from the weird as fook GDC conference where everyone just went “huh?” to absolutely owning every headline and positioning themselves as the ones who “finally showed us next gen”. In stark contrast to, admittedly, Microsoft’s only mistake so far which was their silly “gameplay reveal”, which only got negative responses all over the world.

And although this UE5 reveal was obviously orchestrated by/with Sony, it’s incredible how they’re still not talking about anything but the PS4, TLOU2 and GoT. Still weird, Sony!

Somehow Sony has turned from the weird as fook GDC conference where everyone just went “huh?” to absolutely owning every headline and positioning themselves as the ones who “finally showed us next gen”. In stark contrast to, admittedly, Microsoft’s only mistake so far which was their silly “gameplay reveal”, which only got negative responses all over the world.
It's not unheard of for a team to lose to the underdogs despite dominating the match. The Manchester Condors might spend 3/4 of a match in the opponent's back-quarter past the 30 yard zone with a 90% pass rate and with dozens of powerful score-ball chances with just bad luck and good goal-protector action keeping the inflated bladder out of the ball-sack, but the Milton Keynes Papillions might still win with a lucky 93rd minute Hail Mary long-ball punt, or worse, a clumsy fumble from a tired and poorly timed back-four back-ball. In this case, it seems a third team joined the match at half time...

I think the take home here is mind-numbingly obvious, and what some of us have been suggesting all along - Just show pretty stuff! Doesn't matter how real it is; wow people with promise and they'll gush. Always have, always will. Consumers (or spectators) do not care to moderate their expectations. They might bitch afterwards if it's all lies, but just like politics, they'll vote for whatever sounds the best without regard for how realistic those promises are.

Last edited:
That might be a $200 million survey! One of the stats companies could get a good idea for a lot less money. You also can't be sure votes are accurate. People may intend to when asked, but not when faced with actually making the purchase for any number of unforseeable factors.
Yeah, true enough. Perhaps a targeted survey of PS4/Pro owners who have X amount of games, or who had PS4/Pro on launch day. The previously predictable day one adopters ought to stick out on a number of metrics.

And although this UE5 reveal was obviously orchestrated by/with Sony, it’s incredible how they’re still not talking about anything but the PS4, TLOU2 and GoT. Still weird, Sony!

Well, Sony is in fact in the awkward position where, if they talk too much about the PS5, less people will be willing to purchase TLoU2 and Gost of Tsushima during release window, for the PS4. Even if the game will be running better on a PS5 later on, you always want the bulk of your game sales to match the game's release because that's when most of your marketing budget is spent and people think about it the most.
The may also be still selling a lot more PS4s now than they were selling PS3 back in early 2013, and they're probably more money than ever on each PS4 sold, at this point.

Well, Sony is in fact in the awkward position where, if they talk too much about the PS5, less people will be willing to purchase TLoU2 and Gost of Tsushima during release window, for the PS4. Even if the game will be running better on a PS5 later on, you always want the bulk of your game sales to match the game's release because that's when most of your marketing budget is spent and people think about it the most.
The may also be still selling a lot more PS4s now than they were selling PS3 back in early 2013, and they're probably more money than ever on each PS4 sold, at this point.
wasn't the first Last of us a end of life ps3 game that got a remaster a few months or so into the ps4's life ? Perhaps sony is going to do the same with both of these games

I've seen that said, I just don't think it's applicable for their big titles.
Example I just don't believe anyone waiting on TLOU2 wouldn't buy it because Sony are talking about PS5.
Multiplayer games I could see possibly falling into your reasoning.

Haven't we seen evidence of rumours of an October release date for the PS5?

Certain Sony execs have, in the past, expressed interest in the Apple model of announcing a product with an immediate or almost immediate release.

So if there's truth to the October rumour, and Sony are still keen on following the Apple model as closely as possible, the current, apparent timeline makes sense: big PS4 exclusive in June, big PS4 exclusive in July, leaving August and September to ride the hype of those two big games and build hype for the PS5.

That's 4 solid months of constant marketing. That doesn't come cheap.

To sad nerds like us, it seems that there's a dearth of information. Viewed through the lens of utilising your marketing money effectively, I can completely understand the approach.

wasn't the first Last of us a end of life ps3 game that got a remaster a few months or so into the ps4's life ? Perhaps sony is going to do the same with both of these games
It was, it was also a complete unknown, compared to The Last of Us 2 which is arriving with massive expectations and hype.

Example I just don't believe anyone waiting on TLOU2 wouldn't buy it because Sony are talking about PS5.
Multiplayer games I could see possibly falling into your reasoning.

I'm sure there will be people who, if they splurge on The Last of Us 2 and/or The Ghosts of Tsushima may have to put off their PS5 purchase a bit. The whole planet is about to go into what some predict will be potentially decades long recession.

Considering how the PS5 is natively running PS4 games (especially these high profile 1st party ones) in boost mode, there probably wouldn't be any incentive for gamers to buy a PS5 version. Sony is definitely going to adopt something akin to Smart Delivery for PS4 and PS5, where applicable.
The PS3->PS4 transition was very different, as the PS4 is unable to run PS3 games. What people purchased for the PS4 were remasters, not just the same game at higher resolutions.

I'm waiting on TLoU2 but I won't buy it until I have the PS5.
In fact, save for some family / party games I'm definitely not buying any more PS4 games until the PS5 is in my hands.

In fact, save for some family / party games I'm definitely not buying any more PS4 games until the PS5 is in my hands.
A lot of people like to be part of the conversation when it's single player story driven games.
You've already made your decision to wait, I'm sure most people who was going to wait have already made that decision also.
Should I buy it now, or wait to experience it running on next gen. The dilemma and sleepless nights it must cause.

Considering how the PS5 is natively running PS4 games (especially these high profile 1st party ones) in boost mode, there probably wouldn't be any incentive for gamers to buy a PS5 version. Sony is definitely going to adopt something akin to Smart Delivery for PS4 and PS5, where applicable.
The PS3->PS4 transition was very different, as the PS4 is unable to run PS3 games. What people purchased for the PS4 were remasters, not just the same game at higher resolutions.

was this announced ?

Should I buy it now, or wait to experience it running on next gen. The dilemma and sleepless nights it must cause.

I'm not holding off buying The Last of Us 2 or Ghosts of Tsushima but I am wavering on Cyberpunk. I was going to get the PC version but I'm wondering if the nextgen console versions will deliver a better experience for me. If nothing more else than I can get in and out of the damn game quicker on console and I anticipate to be playing this game a lot for a quite a long time.

Reactions: Jay
Multiplayer games I could see possibly falling into your reasoning

Why wouldn't Sony do any advertising or at least tweet about Unreal V running on a PS5 dev kit. Unless they have then disregard, I don't really do Twitter I'm just going on what other people have said.

For me it shows they really want to get The Last of us 2 out there before they start showing big PS5 games.

I'm positive Guerrilla games has something ready to blow our minds, they have had three years.

Why wouldn't Sony do any advertising or at least tweet about Unreal V running on a PS5 dev kit.

Maybe because the Epic thing was nothing to do with Sony - despite the unproven marketing theories. You don't pay somebody to market your upcoming product then ghost the whole event on your social media. The Unreal video was not promoted by @Playstation, @PlayStationEU or their YouTube channel but the new Studios logo was.

We've heard from reliable insiders, not contradicted by the recent Sony financials and estimates, that Sony are not expecting to sell a lot of PS5s at launch. Despite their verbal commitment to Generations this is not a typical cut-it-lose generation transition. I reckon Sony more than happy with PS4's mad success and are content to let that train run as long as they can. If PS5 is in short supply, relative to demand (which is unknowable) then less disappointed people (not able to get a PS5) is good.

For me it shows they really want to get The Last of us 2 out there before they start showing big PS5 games.
Not saying your wrong.
For me they have their marketing strategy set up based on when the console is releasing and working backwards.
There's no guarantee that even if they didn't have those games they wouldn't be following the same time line.

They've also been very quiet about the hardware, until their not. Why would they show games until talked about the hardware which they've only done recently?
Then near E3 show games.

Maybe because the Epic thing was nothing to do with Sony - despite the unproven marketing theories. You don't pay somebody to market your upcoming product then ghost the whole event on your social media. The Unreal video was not promoted by @Playstation, @PlayStationEU or their YouTube channel but the new Studios logo was.

We've heard from reliable insiders, not contradicted by the recent Sony financials and estimates, that Sony are not expecting to sell a lot of PS5s at launch. Despite their verbal commitment to Generations this is not a typical cut-it-lose generation transition. I reckon Sony more than happy with PS4's mad success and are content to let that train run as long as they can. If PS5 is in short supply, relative to demand (which is unknowable) then less disappointed people (not able to get a PS5) is good.
Still, Sony no even mentioning the huge UE5 PS5 reveal at all in any of its channels is so, so very odd! The silence is deafening.

Back