how the enthusiasts feel about ati/nvidia

fallguy said:
AT put a stop to it. They banned Rollo from posting, which I think is a good thing. [H] seems to like AEG posters, and put up a sticky about it.

I don't blame the people who received the hardware because most were just fans and all the people here are fans. From a corporate point of view it seemed to be like sticking clipping planes in 3DMark.

If you sponsor a game put your logo in the game. If you sponsor a website, put your add on the website. If you "reward" people for posting in a fan site then indicate who they are.

I wish Nvidia had the kind of presence on the forums that ATI has rather then manipulating them indirectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
smallSHEEP said:
Both companies piss me off equally. :)
I don't really dislike my 6800, frankly it's a pretty OK card, considering it is virtually feature-complete (apart from no AA when rendering to float buffers). What makes me not want to buy any more NV cards though is their constant skimping on 3D quality, I have to turn off* lots of cheats in the control panel to make the driver not f**k with rendering quality. I also don't like their sluggish and irregular driver updates, or their habit of releasing/leaking FUD about competitors' newest products. Or that annoying "the way it's supposed..." BS when starting up games. I don't need a piece of software telling me which card to buy (particulary a piece of s/w that I PAID MONEY FOR), I'll choose that myself, thankyouverymuch.

Besides, the VPU recovery feature of ATi's sure beat bluescreens in nvdisp.dll or outright hangs (I've had both with my 6800). :p

*fixed. :p

fallguy said:
Just do a search for it, Id rather not get into it here.

The simple fact is, its been downplayed by some of the "big" hardware sites. And its my opinion that if it was ATi wrapped up in it, it would have been just the opposite. Plastered all over the front page, probably even with a article about it written up.

Compile a set of questions and send them over to me. I'll answer them and plaster them first on 3declipse and if any other site wants to publish them no problem either.

Ailuros said:
Compile a set of questions and send them over to me. I'll answer them and plaster them first on 3declipse and if any other site wants to publish them no problem either.
Well the first question that leaps to my mind is obvious enough; boxers or briefs? :-|

I dont know who you are, and never visited 3declipse.

I dont have any questions. I was commenting on that its my opinion that if this was the other way around, and this was ATi paying people with hardware, and trying to keep it from being found out, certain sites would be much more negative towards it.

fallguy said:
I dont know who you are, and never visited 3declipse.

I dont have any questions. I was commenting on that its my opinion that if this was the other way around, and this was ATi paying people with hardware, and trying to keep it from being found out, certain sites would be much more negative towards it.

That we're getting supposedly paid with hardware is your own conclusion and a quite wrong one to that.

However I've spent enough time already trying to explain certain aspects and I'm willing to continue doing so if asked. Digi is reading so if he wants to take a chance on a Q&A for EB or anybody else, I'm equally open to propositions.

In the end none of it has anything to do with the thread's original topic/question. Is there a general resentment against ATI right now? No there isn't and most certainly not from my side.

digitalwanderer said:
Well the first question that leaps to my mind is obvious enough; boxers or briefs? :-|

The latter and no they're not green with any funny logos on them :p

geo said:
[company X] is the hero of all that's right and holy.

[company Y] is pond scum.

Take your pick.

I mean, really, why is this blatant flamebait of a thread allowed to even get past the first post?
i am shocked . . . i thought you guys didn't allow this . . . unlike ATF.

anyway, Geo . . . there has been a resolution at ATF re AEG and Rollo . . . i tried to PM you here but ain't "allowed" and i am late with the news anyway.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=1749044&enterthread=y
[page one]

and, no . . . i don't think ATi is resented . . . except perhaps by nVidia fans for keeping the single GPU performance crown for so long.

peace and aloha

Ati vs nVidia is something of a geek soap opera.. And although no one wants to admit it, they secretly want to see company X fall from grace, only to return from the dead right at the end of season two, just when company Y was getting into hot water for thier affair with mother board maker Uli... er.. I mean.....

Reactions: Geo
digitalwanderer said:
Funny thing? Even I was wondering that. :LOL:
The whole first page was surprisingly flame free.

I probably like NV a bit more, only b/c of some really horrible experiences back in the forever past that I was to dumb to forsee with ATI cards. That said out of my last 5 cards 4 have been ATI so if I have a bias it is very small.

It is completely silly to let long past experience dictate your buying decisions in the present. The key is to educate yourself and buy what meets your needs so you are not dissapointed.

I buy NVDA, since it would be in pretty bad taste to use the gobs of money I made on their stock to buy products from their competitor :)

Taking that out of the equation, I HATE loud cards. I heard the 1900XTX once, and knew I'd never own one. I'm hoping one of the cards from the 7900 series will be sufficiently fast and quiet to replace my 6800s. If not, I think I'll just wait for the next generation from both companies and try again.

tieros said:
I buy NVDA, since it would be in pretty bad taste to use the gobs of money I made on their stock to buy products from their competitor :)

Taking that out of the equation, I HATE loud cards. I heard the 1900XTX once, and knew I'd never own one. I'm hoping one of the cards from the 7900 series will be sufficiently fast and quiet to replace my 6800s. If not, I think I'll just wait for the next generation from both companies and try again.

I don't understand the complaints about the x1900xt fan.
I haven't noticed any loud noise, and my previous card was a x800xt with vga silencer4 (very quiet).

Could have been on of those card that didn't have the cooler correctly screwed tight, as reported by some users.

bangalter said:
When nVidia started massive cheating with their IQ, and then began encrypting their driver I decied never to buy nVidia again.

yeah, even though I dislike both companies' buisiness practices, that's the main reason I'm sticking to ATI for now. IQ is pretty important to me, and unlike performance, it's pretty clear who the IQ winner is.

that, and the nvidia 3dmark clippingplanes/etc thing left a very bad taste in my mouth.

tieros said:

This is a poor argument. The X850 XT and X1800/X1900 coolers are not loud unless you make them. Sure they are loud at full speed, even half speed but the only time they get there is during the first couple seconds of startup or if you manually set them that high, otherwise they are near silent even during gaming.

Back