How has XBox One/PS4 held up at eol? Goodbye to gen 8.

dten

Newcomer
As a generation ends, the deficiencies of the outgoing hardware become more apparent. For example, the CPU for Xbox One and PS4. Cyberpunk says hi. Or the small RAM in 360/PS3.
What were some of the biggest bottlenecks that held back games in previous consoles generations toward their eol in your opinion? (CPU/GPU starved, bandwidth starved, RAM size, disk transfer, etc)
How do you think XBox One and PS4 held up in comparison?
And bonus, what do you think will be the biggest struggle for Series X/PS5 in 6-7 years?

I think most would agree that storage speed and anemic CPUs are the main problem for X1 and PS4 and the mid-gen upgrades didn't really change that.

The new consoles are going to struggle with game size IMO. RT performance won't keep up with PC over time either, but 5 years from now games are still going to look unbelievable.

I think most would agree that storage speed and anemic CPUs are the main problem for X1 and PS4 and the mid-gen upgrades didn't really change that.

The new consoles are going to struggle with game size IMO. RT performance won't keep up with PC over time either, but 5 years from now games are still going to look unbelievable.

I kinda disagree with you. Yes RT performance wont keep up with PC and that is why the games in 5 years wont look amazing on the ps5 / xbox series x. Both consoles will be limiting use of RT to the bare minimum while every generation of graphics card released on the pc will get faster and faster.

Nvidia 40x0 series , AMD navi 3 , 4 and so on will all keep improving and increasing what was there.

I look back at recent generations and this is what I see as a pc gamer

With the xbox 360 the pc quickly out paced it and with no mid gen refresh we got ever increasing resolutions and FSAA vs the consoles. From 2005 to 2013 when the next generation came out. With the p4/ xbox one we didn't so much move on to even higher resolutions and FSAA but we moved on to frame rates. 90hz 120hz 240 and so on.

I think it will be the same with ray tracing. Computer gamers will be able to put on a stupid amount of ray tracing vs the consoles and with every other part of the gpu process getting better rops / clock speeds / ram / bandwidth and so on the console games will start to look dated

I'll bet that next-gen new games still look amazing in 5 years. We can agree to disagree on that point and see who's right 5 years from now. :)

What were some of the biggest bottlenecks that held back games in previous consoles
IO speed (3min loading times!), memory bandwidrh on XBone.

And bonus, what do you think will be the biggest struggle for Series X/PS5 in 6-7 years?
Definitely RAM amount on both.
SsriesX/S might get behind in IO performance as time goes by with PC catching up and evolving to PCIe 5/6. Eventually GPU power too, as once again the consoles are "only" as fast as midrange GPUs coming up in a couple of months, but considering power and thermal limits it's not like they could do much better. This will probably be noticed mostly on the amount of RT effects shown on screen.

Finally, I think the SeriesS will age terribly unless Microsoft makes a handheld out of it. The console isn't out yet and it's already showing its "age", with some RT-enhanced release titles not even carrying raytracing on the cheaper console. RAM amount will also pose a problem and so will the 500GB SSD apparently with only 360GB available for games.

seems still held up pretty good with how sony able to make PS4 IO much faster.

but not so sure with its CPU....

Before game devs start to make games with new level design paradigm that requires SSD, the anemic CPU on X1 and PS4 will be a problem first. Heck, its already a problem in cpu-heavy games.

Back