Xbox 360 graphics processor codenamed: XENOS. some details

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Megadrive1988, May 19, 2005.

1. Megadrive1988

Veteran

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzcxLDE=

2. Shapeshifter

Newcomer

3. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

I thought Dave said its internal name/number was C1?

Btw, interesting name C1... i.e. #1 in a new series?

4. Shapeshifter

Newcomer

or just a reversion. much like Nvidia often has diffrent core codes on the same model as time goes on.

5. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

6. pc999

Veteran

I had posted this on the other thread but once you are talking about it...

Anyone wants to coment this

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzcxLDM=

7. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

...yes it's the same shit as nvidias 136 shader ops/sec

If he at least would have explained how they count the shader ops but no , just a stinky number

8. wireframe

Veteran

I think HardOCP mixed this one up and the number of shader ops the C1/R500/Xenos/<insert interesting name here> can do is 48 Billion per second. Let me explain why.

48 Billion ops per second is what was first reported. However, if anyone took the time to compute the number of ALUs times cycles they would have arrived at a number of 48*500MHz= 24 Billion ALU ops per second. I think what ATI tried to clarify is that each of the 48 parallel processing units is capable of two ops per cycle. This gives us 48*2*500MHz= 48 billion ops per second.

Of course I could be wrong and the total number of ops just doubled from what was known before. This would be significant because it would make the C1/R500 a theoretically more capable shader processor than Nvidia's/Sony's RSX.

But I doubt they would give out the wrong number (48 billion) by mistake like that. Would be a major cock-up.

Just want to sneak in a comment that these theoretical numbers may be very bad for comparing the two competitors. The same goes for their CPUs. Not only are these theoretical maximum performance numbers and what really matters with something like a console is how close to the optimum you can operate. Look at the Pentium 4 as an extreme example. It has very high theoreticals and can even back them up in specialized benchmarking tests, but when multiple types of code/data need to be processed and the CPU cannot dedicate itself to one task, look what happens. Performance plummets and a design like the Athlon 64 keeps on trucking. It will be very interesting to see how close these machines are and how close the software will be (noting that software will probably look and play very similarly unless one machine offers something substantial above the others).

9. speng

Regular

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzcxLDM=
    This sounds great. Why MS didn't tout these things I don't know..though E3 isn't done yet.

Speng.

10. pc999

Veteran

Thanks wireframe.

11. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

That past was in March, on May 18th he called it C1 as the code name. Not that it matters, just interesting.

12. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That's what makes this unbelievable. If MS could get a 2 terabit bandwidth figure, why aren't they shouting it from the rooftops?

13. Jawed

Legend

2 terabits is 256 gigabytes per second.

Jawed

14. arhra

Newcomer

2 terabits = 256 gigabytes = exactly what the spec sheet says.

15. Tim

Tim
    Regular

2Tbit/s = 256GB/s and that number has been repeated like a million times, now they just using bits instead of bytes to make the number sound more impressive.

16. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Of course. My doofus oversight. Though I'm surprised one of the console companies at least hasn't switched to a bit-rate bandwidth to engineer bigger sounding figures! :D

17. pc999

Veteran

Well they did not show themshelfs very smart in creating hype, they only got because they showed first, look what they did with PD0 and other things....

Really I dont know what we should think about it. :?

18. Rockster

Regular

But, if the RSX is similar to previous Nvidia architectures where some ALU's and TMU's used shared resources, then RSX max shader ops would exclude any texturing, where the R500's max shader op count could be in parallel to texturing ops.

And, by the same token, RSX shader op counts may exclude vertex resources, where the R500's don't. But, in an age of 16 pipe cards with better than 38GB/sec, a 24-32 pipe RSX with only 22GB/sec doesn't seem all that balanced. I know it can use it's Cell interconnect bandwidth for fetching textures and perhaps creating render targets in main memory at an additional latency penalty, but even that doesn't add up.

We really don't yet know enough about both architectures to come to any conclusions, other than they are both extremely capable.

19. pc999

Veteran

20. Megadrive1988

Veteran

guys, my internet connection went down right in the middle of making this thread. thats why it was incomplete, without the full article or link