How Good is Good Enough for Xbox 360's Launch Line-Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking... there's a bit of a wild card here. Well, aside from whether or not Sony and Nintendo wild do world wide or partially worldwide launches. BC. Think about it, imagine if Sony comes out and says the BC on PS3 will add AA and AF to PS2 games? That's a HUUUUGE IQ up for PS2 games, and I can imagine with the freakishly strong PS2 library a lot of people will be buying PS2 games and playing them on the PS3 just for the IQ goodness... I know I would. Also, Nintendo has hinted at this as well for their BC games as well. I dunno how big that would be compared to PS2, since I feel PS2 games are more in need of IQ up. GC games don't have that feeling.

Anyway, you slice it there's gonna be chaos.

EDIT:: I actually, think we won't be seeing all that many more port on the PSP from the PS2. Devs are starting to realize that those games aren't selling all that well, since people would rather just play it on the PS2. The latest set of games to come on the PSP are more or less originals, so I think that won't be as much an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
jvd said:
I really think its sony thats in hot water .

Lets look at the usa for instance as this is ms's best zone .

In the usa we hae xbox 360 this thanksgiving. We figure there will be quite a few games released through 2006. I would say they can hit 200-300 games depending on releases (there might be 40-50 between november and jaunary ! )

Now of course i'd say if they do release 300 games through 2006 , 150 will suck , 50 will be solid titles that have problems but are fun anyways , 50 will be around the 80 mark , 25 will be in the high 80% and the rest will be above that .

Sony has the problem that now in the usa thier launch line up in say september , will have to go against almost a year of xbox 360 games.

Many of the xbox 360 launch titles will be best sellers / system choice or platinum or whatever ms calls thier titles. They willbe at 20$ bucks . I'm talking pdz , kameo , cod 2 , pgr 3 and others . Then you'd have other games that may make that cut by then like gears of war .

Sony on the other hand may have some impressive games. But thats just it , some gams. Unless they can launch with a years worth of games they will be at a disadvantage.

Also we don't know how hte prices will fair . But i suspect when the ps3 launches ms will under cut thier price and the xbox 360 will be cheaper . Even at 50$ cheaper that could be 2-3 games on the xbox 360 at tha tpoint in time .

Then depending on what nintendo does they get stuck launching with nintendo in the states .

Now say what u will about nintendo and thier controller. But you all have to admit that the gaming channels and even the regular news channels and shows will be picking up on its new controller if not for nothing other than its diffrent factor .

Nintendo can also generate alot of hype with a mario launch title using that controller to the fullest like mario 64 .

So thats why i'm really interested in when sony is launching and with what . They are in the middle and they are going to have to do something to not get squashed between hype machines

Are you kidding? Sony have to worry about getting squashed? Last I heard they are in a good position to take the reigns again. You seem to be pro Microsoft at times.
You also seem to forget their is a massive Sony install base that await Sony specific titles.

Are you kidding? Sony have to worry about getting squashed? Last I heard they are in a good position to take the reigns again. You seem to be pro Microsoft at times.
You also seem to forget their is a massive Sony install base that await Sony specific titles.

So you expect sony to launch with all the sony specific titles (Which 90% of them are 3rd party titles that can go multiplatform or switch exclusive platforms at anytime by the right offers)

Because if ps3 doesn't launch with any big titles that are awaited by sony fans they will go with the system that has more games .

That is after all what happened to nitnedo with the superness .

edit * you also forget that many gamers that bought the ps2 bought it because of a) its large library of cheap games and b) its cheap price i.e they bought it when it hit the 200$ and undermark . Which at the time of the ps3 launch the xbox 360will be cheaper and have the library advantage. The xbox 360 core will be very very close to the 200$ mark .

I was thinking... there's a bit of a wild card here. Well, aside from whether or not Sony and Nintendo wild do world wide or partially worldwide launches. BC. Think about it, imagine if Sony comes out and says the BC on PS3 will add AA and AF to PS2 games? That's a HUUUUGE IQ up for PS2 games, and I can imagine with the freakishly strong PS2 library a lot of people will be buying PS2 games and playing them on the PS3 just for the IQ goodness... I know I would. Also, Nintendo has hinted at this as well for their BC games as well. I dunno how big that would be compared to PS2, since I feel PS2 games are more in need of IQ up. GC games don't have that feeling.

Anyway, you slice it there's gonna be chaos.

THe question with sony is simple , can they make enough bluray drives , cpu and gpus and ram to meet a world wide launch ?

If they can only get a couple million systems ready at launch for a world wide launch its most likely better launching in one market for them .

As for bc we will have to see how sony actually does it

xbdestroya said:
You mean, as xbdestroya has pointed out. ;)

Just gotta take credit for everything, huh, lol.

I figured we were saying something similar...

OT: Has anyone been able to track down the dreamcast launch lineup, because (I mentioned this in another thread) I was only able to buy Blue Stinger and it was the only one (literally) that I played for what seemed like an eternity, because it was the only one I could find.

Personally, I like how there is not a clear iconic X360 title. I hope it stays that way. The Xbox was for a long time (arguably still is) the machine that plays Halo. I think it's cool that in place of one great game we have 5 good to great games.

And that's just launch. 2006 looks SO much more appealing for X360 than 2002 did for Xbox.

Inane_Dork said:
Personally, I like how there is not a clear iconic X360 title. I hope it stays that way. The Xbox was for a long time (arguably still is) the machine that plays Halo. I think it's cool that in place of one great game we have 5 good to great games.

And that's just launch. 2006 looks SO much more appealing for X360 than 2002 did for Xbox.
Exactly. The PS is the machine where you play..... whatever you darn well like! Very few games "make or break" the PS and it appeals to different audiances. e.g. I remember reading that GTA3SA was estimated to break 10M copies and possibly higher. Lets say it sold 10M copies.

That means only 1 in 9 PS2 owners have GTA3SA :oops: For that reason alone the PS2 is not known as the "GTA machine". Sony has a ton of exclusives that appeal to a large array of gamers--as it should be!

The Xbox1 had a LOT of good games. But out of the 22M consoles sold there are almost 14M copies of Halo1 on the market. 2 out of every 3 Xbox owners owns Halo 1. Yet Halo overshadows the success of other franchises and genres.

That is one good thing MS has done with the Xbox 360--diversity (with over 200 titles in the works that should continue). I am not sure that MS does not have some great games in the launch line-up, I think it is they have quite a few. Relatively, of the past 2 gens (DC excluded since it straddled gens and was a flop) I can only name 2 really great "Super Duper Top 25 All Time" launch games--Mario 64 and Halo.

Strategically with all the great titles MS has in the pipes for 2006, if Sony does not launch until Fall 2006 in the states and has limited availablility I would say Halo 3 MUST come in 2007. Fall 2006, if Sony can only get out 3-5M units world wide will be getting people excited but the Xbox 360 will have more games, probably cheaper price, and more availability. The big "war" year is 2007 unless the landscape of the market changes. MS will need its flagship title against Sony's MASSIVE onslaught in 2007 if they hope to keep pace with the Sony Juggernaught. Of course they could have something else planned for 2007, but I think MS would want to highlight some new franchises in 2006 like GOW and Mass Effect.

jvd said:
So you expect sony to launch with all the sony specific titles (Which 90% of them are 3rd party titles that can go multiplatform or switch exclusive platforms at anytime by the right offers)

Because if ps3 doesn't launch with any big titles that are awaited by sony fans they will go with the system that has more games .
I'm not sure that's right. It depends if PS owners only care about the games, or care about the brand. Many a football fan stays loyal with their team even when their team isn't doing well. So when PS3 launches the fact it's the next PS may be more important than what's on it. PS2 had no trouble selling despite nothing much worth playing versus an established Sega console AFAIK.

scooby_dooby said:
The vast majority of gamers care about which system has the most/best games, period.

That's why PS beat N64.
the vast majority of gamers don't buy at launch either. We're talking early adopters of PS3 not buying PS3 before XB360 has more games. And as I said, PS2 had less games and worse games than Dreamcast but people still bought it. So why should anyone think XB360 with more games means no PS3 sales if PS3 hasn't got good games?

Shifty Geezer said:
I'm not sure that's right. It depends if PS owners only care about the games, or care about the brand. Many a football fan stays loyal with their team even when their team isn't doing well. So when PS3 launches the fact it's the next PS may be more important than what's on it. PS2 had no trouble selling despite nothing much worth playing versus an established Sega console AFAIK.

If brand loyalty was important, Nintendo wouldn't be in last place, and the Playstation would have flopped.

Casual gamers tend to follow games, not systems. If game X is the hot thing for Christmas, that's what they want, and it doesn't matter what system it's on.

Acert93 said:
Gamers will be spoiled by great games on both sides. Pick the console that offers the exclusives you like and enjoy. I think it is as simple as that.

Why pick just one? If you got the cash, buy all three.

MoeStooge said:
Why pick just one? If you got the cash, buy all three.

I've got the cash, but I have better things to spend it on. One console and a PC is all I need, and frankly, all I have time to play.

Shifty Geezer said:
the vast majority of gamers don't buy at launch either. We're talking early adopters of PS3 not buying PS3 before XB360 has more games. And as I said, PS2 had less games and worse games than Dreamcast but people still bought it. So why should anyone think XB360 with more games means no PS3 sales if PS3 hasn't got good games?
"Since its initial release in Japan in November 1998, Dreamcast quickly became the fastest selling games console of all time. In the USA, following its launch on September 9th 1999, Dreamcast sales reached an unprecedented 514,000 units within just two weeks. Dreamcast has already captured more than 60 percent of all new US video games console sales, according to market research firm NPD Group Inc."
http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?ID=93

People bought the dreamcast in droves, so your point has not been made. sure, when the PS2 came out it shattered those sales figures, but alot of that can be attributed to superior marketing by Sony, and the fact PS2 was a DVD player. I really don't see how you can atribute it to brand loyalty when there's so many other factors to consider.

Obviously brand loyalty is always a big factor to consider with consoles, but Nintendo showed how fragile that loyalty is, and I don't think Dreamcast is a shining example of the effectiveness of brand loyalty, there's just many to factors that all attributed to the Dreamcast failing.

Also, the X360 will have the game advantage well into 2007 which is more like 1.5 - 2 years, that's a long time to be market leader, they will eat into Sony's market share heavily.

scooby_dooby said:
Also, the X360 will have the game advantage well into 2007 which is more like 1.5 - 2 years, that's a long time to be market leader, they will eat into Sony's market share heavily.

You're forgetting about Japan. PS3 will launch in March and have a substantial game lineup by the end of 2006.

seismologist said:
You're forgetting about Japan. PS3 will launch in March and have a substantial game lineup by the end of 2006.
Sony didn't say March. They said Spring.

So that's between March and May. And we don't know when it's gonna drop... ;)

We can't say a specific month right now, otherwise people would mistake it as Sony's actual words.

We can't really say who will have the advantage in terms of most games for the console. Neither have fully disclosed the number of games they have in the works, nor when those games will be readied, so it's a futile effort there, IMO. I think it's better to argue how Sony and MS and Nintendo will utilize their assets to counter and combat eachother.

Sony would be crazy to wait until 2007 to Launch unless they plan on changing clock speeds on their components or something, there’s no reason they shouldn't be able to pull it off, I mean this is Sony were talking about they employ like a million employees and are in every country in the world and if their doing some downsizing they can focus more on PS3(which is a VERY VERY good thing for gamers IMO)

I would imagine the status que will continue, MS will continue to close the gap in the states especially with the huge lead it has in launch timeframe. Sony will Continue to dominate in Japan and for the most part Europe as well, I realize Xbox Live will be a huge draw as times goes on and Sony has no hope of building their own "live" network and it just doesn't suit their business practices.

I'll just be glad to FINALLY be playing games in 720p whether it's on PS3 or XBox, all I can sya is bring on WarHawk for PS3, that by for is my most anticipated PS3 title the first one of PS1 was one hell of a game I must have won it a 100x over when I was locked up in job corp.

Oblivion from my couch with Dobly 5.1 and 720p graphics is going to own me and piss my girlfriend off to no end(Just like MorrowWind) well I guess that’s why I encouraged her to take a traveling job(less booty or more games, tough call I know)

I think the problem with comparing the DC launch and ps2 launches, was the fact sega had already burned their bridges with previous consoles. They had little trust from consumers,retailers and publishers. This was pretty obvious by the fact the largest publisher EA refused to make 1 DC game.

So even though PS2 came out with a poor launch lineup and at the time didn't seem to have better games than the DC, the whole industry knew it would come good because sony already had lots of good will with consumers/retailers and publishers.

Now if we look at ms and the xbox, xbox1 has been pretty good, lots of support from retailers/publishers, consumers have caught onto the brand and games like HALO have established a mulit million seller sega would only dream of having. So overall ms have a positive image and the xbox brand is respected by the industry.

This is where it will make the difference, both brands are respected by the industry, so for the average consumers I think it will be more about games/cost in the next gen. Cause to be honest either console you choose you know will be supported and won't die like a sega console, it's just what games appeal to you.

This is ms's strategy, they know they've spent billions building gamers trust, now they must leverage that trust and give them a plethora of games that makes the console irresitable. The ps2 sold so well because it had a massive library, the 360 is just going to do the same thing ps2 did, build up a huge library that you simply can't avoid. Power as we've seen is irrelavent, last 2 gens sony had a less powerful console. It's all about the games/choice and support. That's what wins consoles wars and so far ms have been making all the right moves to ensure the 360 is easy to develop for and will have awesome support.

Also having a next gen madden on launch is a huge thing for the 360, EA seem to be really behind the 360 which is a sign that the 360 will be a signifigant part of the next gen scene. Madden alone will push out a tonne of 360's.

mozmo said:
Also having a next gen madden on launch is a huge thing for the 360, EA seem to be really behind the 360 which is a sign that the 360 will be a signifigant part of the next gen scene. Madden alone will push out a tonne of 360's.

Yea it would really appear that Microshaft and EA have kissed and made up, I guess they figured out that the Xbox is here to stay so there's money to be made that and I'm sure M$ is giving EA a nice wad of cash to make their games Live compatible and not on the flailing EA gaming network.

I think i'ts pretty sad that so many people hate Microsoft so that hate is refocused on the Xbox and the 360. The "I hate Microsft becasue their the man" is soooooo 1999 get over it and move on people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back