How Good is Good Enough for Xbox 360's Launch Line-Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NucNavST3 said:
I'm not quite sure I understand your sentence framing? So it has good to GREAT games, but no standouts? I think I will take those good to greats over a single "outstanding" game. Not to mention we don't know what will be outstanding, HALO didn't just start off as an outstanding game, and depending on someones genre of choice and gaming wants and needs, mediocre-oustanding, like beauty, is in the eye-of-the-beholder.

yeah sorry about my sentences, i am at work and need to be hasty when posting. we are basically saying the same thing as london-boy has pointed out.

_leech_ said:
I expect minor disappointments (Quake 4, Kameo) that'll ripple into waves by fans who expect everything to be a 10. That's about all i have to say about the launch as far as software goes :p
You would think that after some of the critical comments Doom 3 had about gameplay (or lack thereof comapred to modern FPS) that people would be weary of Quake 4. Yet people are chomping at the bit for Q4 PC and Q4 360 is the #1 pre-ordered game.

So while I would tend to agree that Q4 runs a high righ of being a critical disappointment or turning off hardcore gamers who want a "modern FPS" I think general fans are genuinely excited for the title. "The Mob" and "teh 1337" frequently do not see eye-to-eye. Gamers are a diversified bunch these days so I would not count it as a disappointment if fans like it and buy it. May not be what WE want, but then again I don't want "The Sims" or "Myst" or "Deer Hunter" either yet they sold really well as well.

I have not played Kameo, but the press previews (and their feedback) seems to be on the rise and it is my sleeper hit. Its a Mario/Zelda game... without Link or Mario. If it controls well and is fleshed out beginning to end then I would have a hard time seeing it be a disappointment to platform/adventure fans.

Personally I see a lot of variety and potential in the launch. On the one hand I worry for publishers: There are a LOT of decent games all competing for gamers $. On the other hand there are a ton of games to appeal to a wide audiance. I may be missing some titles, but it looks like we should see all these titles between now and E3:

(Racing)
PGR3
Ridge Racer 6
Test Drive
NFS:MW
Full Auto

(FPS)
PDZ
CoD2
Quake 4
Condemned
GR3
BF2: MC

(RPG)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
FFXI

(Action/Adventure/Platform)
Chrome Hounds
Saint's Row
the Outfit
N3: 99 Nights
Kameo
King Kong
Gun
Dead Rising
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

(Sports)
NBA2K6
NBA Live 06
Madden NFL Football 06
Tiger Wood's PGA Tour 06
Amped 3
Top Spin
FIFA 06

(Fighting)
DoA4
Rumble Roses

In every major category there is at least 1 game that should be Good and in a couple categories 2 or 3 Good games. Now these "Good" games may not appeal to every gamer's person tastes but there seems to be a lot here.

There also seems to be a good handful of potential "great" canidates (i.e. games I would rate 9.0 or above). Now I don't expect more than 2 or 3 to reach above 9.0, but I *do expect* a number of games to either be MUCH better than the current console standard in the genre OR to advance the genre in a new direction.

How these games fair as "next gen" will need to wait until we see what other developers can do in those genres. But one in the hand is better than two in the bush, talk is cheap, and potential does not surpass current ability. What do I mean by this? These next gen games will be viewed by gamers as what they provide in relationship to what is available. While some gamers are prudent a lot of early adopters want the best *now*. It seems a safe bet that a number of games will offer the best gaming experience come November.

I think that alone will be enough to sell 3M units world wide. But selling the first 3M is the easy part.

dukmahsik said:
yeah sorry about my sentences, i am at work and need to be hasty when posting. we are basically saying the same thing as london-boy has pointed out.

You mean, as xbdestroya has pointed out. ;)

jvd said:
Then for the holidays we will get halo 3 most likely which is when the ps3 will launch in america and europe . This is a huge title that will help take some hype away from it .

As for smaller launches from what i can gleam it has a good line up till january with nothing further out than that announced (Except dead rising and ghost recon both delayed till febuary )

I'm going to go out on a limb and figure they will throw froza 2 at us for the holiday 2006 also .

This time they have some big names that they made last gen .

Theres also Too Human, Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect from Bioware potentially late 2006, and heading into 2007 should see Blue Dragon from the original team behind chronotrigger. Add in some Splinter Cell 4 & 5, GOW, Forza 2, and Halo 3 and I see X360 having an extremely strong 2006-2007 game release schedule. Not to mention Bioware's 2nd un-named work in progress (Jade Empire 2?), and other exclusives like Crackdown/Saint's Row which may or may not be successful.

I would say Sony will have the biggest problems competing with X360 in NA next X-mas. Mainly because X360 will be launching a string of 2nd generation games, and many of the PS3 launch games will be ports that have already been released on X360. So PS3 is going to have to have some killer apps at launch to put a dent in the momentum for the X360.

The real battle will be fought in 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
dukmahsik said:
yes him too :p

I wouldn't normally 'post for credit' like that, but I figured considering our multi-forum history, how could I pass up the opportunity to rib? :p

Back to topic, Nite Hawk I'm that way myself to a degree, so I can see perfectly where you're coming from.

Still though, even in the face of no *single* blockbuster title, the 360 launch is extremely impressive simply from the fact that there are a number of desirable titles, as opposed to the usual 'filler' crap associated with launches. They've certainly set the bar higher for Sony's launch line-up in the same way NVidia set the bar higher for ATI with 'hard' rather than paper launches.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
Theres also Too Human, Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect from Bioware potentially late 2006, and heading into 2007 should see Blue Dragon from the original team behind chronotrigger. Add in some Splinter Cell 4 & 5, GOW, Forza 2, and Halo 3 and I see X360 having an extremely strong 2006-2007 game release schedule. Not to mention Bioware's 2nd un-named work in progress (Jade Empire 2?), and other exclusives like Crackdown/Saint's Row which may or may not be successful.

I would say Sony will have the biggest problems competing with X360 in NA next X-mas. Mainly because X360 will be launching a string on 2nd generation games, and many of the PS3 launch games will be ports that have already been released on X360. So PS3 is going to have to have some killer apps at launch to put a dent in the momentum for the X360.
While there is no doubt MS has compiled a nice launch library and games like Halo 3, Forza 2, Mass Effect, Too Human, Splinter Cell 4, Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Jade Empire 2, Crackdown, Rare games (Banjoo? Conkers?), etc... in the 2006/2007 timeframe (not to mention a host of other games unannounced) will add a laundry list of great titles, I think we would have our head in the sand if we did not think Sony has the same approach.

Tekken, GT5, Heavenly Sword, KZ, Warhawk, MotorStorm, FF, God of War, MGS, Devil May Cry, Formula 1, Killing Day, Mobile Suit Gundam, and on and on and on...

In a nut shell: Sony has no lack of their own titles and exclusives ;) This is a Sony strength, not weakness.

What has possibly changed is 1.) MS is no longer a newcomer and has compiled a nice library of exclusive content and 2.) more titles are going multi-platform. RE5, Interestingly Sonic, Armored Core, UT2007, (toss in Fight Night because I have not mentioned it yet), etc...

Gamers will be spoiled by great games on both sides. Pick the console that offers the exclusives you like and enjoy. I think it is as simple as that.

That's why I said the real battle wil be in 2007!

I don't see Sony launching with a line-up that will be able to compete with the X360's 2nd generation of titles, So to that end, I dont think MS has much to worry about as far as maintaining momentum through 2006 goes.

However, in 2007 that's when Sony will begin pumping out the big guns, and that's the year when the X360 needs to worry about maintaining it's momentum, I really think 2006 will be no contest.

The Sony conference at the end of the month will definately shed some light, I'm looking forward to seeing what they reveal.

scooby_dooby said:
That's why I said the real battle wil be in 2007!

I don't see Sony launching with a line-up that will be able to compete with the X360's 2nd generation of titles, So to that end, I dont think MS has much to worry about as far as maintaining momentum through 2006 goes.

However, in 2007 that's when Sony will begin pumping out the big guns, and that's the year when the X360 needs to worry about maintaining it's momentum, I really think 2006 will be no contest.

I seriously think Halo 3 will be out in 2007 not 2006.

x360 has a very impressive line-up meaning it covers most game genres. Unfortunatelly there isn't much tuly nextgen stuff between it yet. I think the sales will go great though cause it does look alot better than current gen..consoles that is.

It will need alot more than Halo 3 to carry it against Sony's 2007 offering, it's really too far off to speculate though, we don't even know what games are waiting in the wings for a 2007 release.

3roxor said:
x360 has a very impressive line-up meaning it covers most game genres. Unfortunatelly there isn't much tuly nextgen stuff between it yet. I think the sales will go great though cause it does look alot better than current gen..consoles that is.

Compared to current games there are a TON of next-gen games. PGR3, Oblivion, Kamo and COD2 are all huge jumps up from anything on XBOX or PS2.

Now, compared to unrealistic CG renders from E3, there's not much 'next-gen' stuff. If you are expecting Killzone from a launch title you are seriously out of touch with reality.

scooby_dooby said:
Compared to current games there are a TON of next-gen games. PGR3, Oblivion, Kamo and COD2 are all huge jumps up from anything on XBOX or PS2.

Now, compared to unrealistic CG renders from E3, there's not much 'next-gen' stuff. If you are expecting Killzone from a launch title you are seriously out of touch with reality.

I gave "my" realistic and honest view on the things I've seen but obviously you don't want to hear less than great thing about your preordered console.. I would say PGR3 is indeed what I look for when I think "nextgen" although it has some obvious flaws. I haven't seen the x360 version of oblivion look (much) different than the PC version so.. COD2 looks very fun but the graphics..not really great. I think kameo will be a hit but not so much for the graphics. Killzone demo was a CG render yes..

Game consoles live or die by their game library. Having a great launch lineup, with many good games gives a nice boost to the library right from the start.

By having so many good games at launch, MS wil be putting a lot of pressure on Sony to match that lineup. If Sony launches the PS3 with a lackluster lineup like the PS2 had, it may be a major factor when potential buyers are comparing the two. Do they buy a PS3 with only a few mediocre games to choose from, or a 360 with a full years worth of games to choose from, with many of them known to be good to great?

Nah, I don't preorder consoles, just go out and buy em.

I just think many have people unrealistic expectations for launch titles, based mainly on CG shown at E3. If you forget those videos, and look at 'last-gen' games, compare stuff like Kameo, PGR3 and Oblivion to 'last gen' graphics there's no debate, it's night and day compared to what we had before.

It's just a matter of expectations being out of touch with reality, these are launch games for 2005 lets not forget that. If you were expecting more than Oblivion, Kameo or PGR3 is offering I don't think that was a very realistic expectation, these games look excellent.

jvd said:
Well remember the usa its in bad place right now . Gas is at an all time high and there aren't as many jobs . So people aren't rushing to spend money. The gamers will still have 2-3 of the next systems . But mommy and daddy may only be willing to pony up for 1 or 2 next gen systems for thier kids . So i think pricing may matter this gen .

Also lets not forget that the psp itself will compete with the ps3 for sales . You have the psp that is going to get ports of all the titles u loved on the ps2 but portable and you will have the ps3 that will have sequals to those games but are not portable .

Then you got nintendo coming from left field and who knows how this console gen will unfold . It will be fun to watch though

Uhmm japanese titles can play on the PSP no... Plus their will be original titles and classic titles on PSP. PS3 will have sequels sure but what console doesnt? Now Nintendo knows something when they have been in the dark two generations now?
Video Games systems sell no matter what. People would skip a light bill to buy a frigging game. Maybe not us but looking at the annual sales of the video game bussiness its beyond profitable. I feel the 360 will start out just fine albeit a bit slow but it will sell well.

I really think its sony thats in hot water .

Lets look at the usa for instance as this is ms's best zone .

In the usa we hae xbox 360 this thanksgiving. We figure there will be quite a few games released through 2006. I would say they can hit 200-300 games depending on releases (there might be 40-50 between november and jaunary ! )

Now of course i'd say if they do release 300 games through 2006 , 150 will suck , 50 will be solid titles that have problems but are fun anyways , 50 will be around the 80 mark , 25 will be in the high 80% and the rest will be above that .

Sony has the problem that now in the usa thier launch line up in say september , will have to go against almost a year of xbox 360 games.

Many of the xbox 360 launch titles will be best sellers / system choice or platinum or whatever ms calls thier titles. They willbe at 20$ bucks . I'm talking pdz , kameo , cod 2 , pgr 3 and others . Then you'd have other games that may make that cut by then like gears of war .

Sony on the other hand may have some impressive games. But thats just it , some gams. Unless they can launch with a years worth of games they will be at a disadvantage.

Also we don't know how hte prices will fair . But i suspect when the ps3 launches ms will under cut thier price and the xbox 360 will be cheaper . Even at 50$ cheaper that could be 2-3 games on the xbox 360 at tha tpoint in time .

Then depending on what nintendo does they get stuck launching with nintendo in the states .

Now say what u will about nintendo and thier controller. But you all have to admit that the gaming channels and even the regular news channels and shows will be picking up on its new controller if not for nothing other than its diffrent factor .

Nintendo can also generate alot of hype with a mario launch title using that controller to the fullest like mario 64 .

So thats why i'm really interested in when sony is launching and with what . They are in the middle and they are going to have to do something to not get squashed between hype machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back