Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

It is annoying how unpretentious even today many of the reviewers are. They overload every game with praise and ignore all weaknesses or do not even recognize.

The most interesting I find so far this review: http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2017/02/review-horizon-zero-dawn-sony.html

If some topics appeal to me,I also like mediocre games. But that does not mean that these must have high ratings from my point of view. The Eurogamer Report justifies its opinion well. As long as it's done in this way it's okay.

Last edited:
It is annoying how unpretentious even today many of the reviewers are. They overload every game with praise and ignore all weaknesses or do not even recognize.

The most interesting I find so far this review: http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2017/02/review-horizon-zero-dawn-sony.html

If some topics appeal to me,I also like mediocre games. But that does not mean that these must have high ratings from my point of view.

I read multiple review and they said the game is not perfect... Human AI is bad. Some minor technical annoyance (pop in)... I think the metacritic and opencritic score are good because the game is good... It is an average of all review and most of the time very fair.....

EDIT: I heard praise about this game before reviewer receive review copy by someone working at Kojima productions and praise about the engine too since last trailer many customisation were done to the engine by KP team...

Last edited:
Some reviewer are happy of the story except the end...

EDIT: Some said Aloy and Rost are good character but the rest of the cas is not as good... Critic about some facial animation...

Last edited:
ike the game .. have played for some 20+ hours (not finished it yet, so no verdict). The game is beautiful .. like amazingly beautiful.

I have played on my normal PS4, and on my Pro (1080p TV).

- Vanilla:
- runs fine.
- crashed on me once (the game froze).
- there is some pop in.
- the PS4 gets LOUD during this game.. The fans go crazy.

- PRO:
- Game runs better than on Vanilla, it is easily noticeable.
- Pop-in is better.. but still present.
- Looks a lot more "crisp"
- My PS4 Pro is surprisingly silent during this game, I never noticed the fans. Strange, because some other games make the fans rev up.

What I Like about Horizon:
- Interesting Story.
- The world. It is so fucking beautiful, and it feels alive.
- The metal beasts. I just love these creatures..
- The combat is ok and fun.
- Controls are great.
- The graphics... just wauw..

What I do not like about Horizon:
- Stealth is not always great. You can hide in tall grass, whistle for an enemy. Then wait till he (or the beast) gets over, and press R1 (if you unlocked the skill) to finish them . And then just rinse and repeat until they are all gone. And this is all from the same place, most of the time you don't even have to move.
- Wild life feels a bit limited. (would have liked a bit more variety)
- Some of the persons feel really stiff.

This is a big game, and it is really fun to play. Normally I never finish games like these (I stopped playing The Witcher 3 because the combat felt stiff and boring, and I have only finished that Pirate Assassins Creed in that series), but this game keeps me playing, because the world is great and the story is really interesting.

From a reviewer on GAF the PS4 Pro has another advantage....

All game take inspiration from another games, what matters is execution. It seems the game combat are very good, the gameworld is good and the stropy is pretty good. After all Open world share some similarities. In The Witcher 3 no towers but the sign take the same roles and so on...

EDIT: And I can find similarities between all Open world even the Rockstar one...
Yup thats what I am saying that if we go feature by feature it feels as if its just a bunch of lifted features but the reviews clearly show they all work together to ccreate a great experience, which is th egoal of all game design. That is why I feel most reviewers are praising it so much because all the systems come together to deliver a fun and cohesive whole game. Pull each apart and it seems all the systems are "okay" but together they are delivring an experience which seems to be wowing everyone.

Even Witcher 3 is a fine example of ithis phenomena. Each aspect separately is mediocre, including combat, music, gameplay and story but together coupled with good characters and graphics they deliver a whole which has made it the game of this gen for me. The whole works and there in lies the key of a good game. I am getting a feel that thats the cae with Horizon too hence the clear sentiment amongst reviewers that nothing stands out singularly but the game just feels fantastic.

really looking forward to it now. But the key for me would be to go in blind. In such a world, just like the Witcher, a sense of discovery is everything. :)

Yup thats what I am saying that if we go feature by feature it feels as if its just a bunch of lifted features but the reviews clearly show they all work together to ccreate a great experience, which is th egoal of all game design. That is why I feel most reviewers are praising it so much because all the systems come together to deliver a fun and cohesive whole game. Pull each apart and it seems all the systems are "okay" but together they are delivring an experience which seems to be wowing everyone.

Even Witcher 3 is a fine example of ithis phenomena. Each aspect separately is mediocre, including combat, music, gameplay and story but together coupled with good characters and graphics they deliver a whole which has made it the game of this gen for me. The whole works and there in lies the key of a good game. I am getting a feel that thats the cae with Horizon too hence the clear sentiment amongst reviewers that nothing stands out singularly but the game just feels fantastic.

really looking forward to it now. But the key for me would be to go in blind. In such a world, just like the Witcher, a sense of discovery is everything. :)

TW3 combat are correct not very good but ok. Story is good particulary side quest story... Main story is a bit too long and the pacing in Novigrad is bad... I disagree for music, gwent....

In Horizon the combat stands out from multiple reviews...

Last edited:
Pre ordered it from PSN. Seems like a game I will play for a long time and would like to keep around me.

Anyone else here pre ordered from psn? I can't find the dynamic theme I am supposed to get with the pre order. WHere does one find such stuff?

I read multiple review and they said the game is not perfect... Human AI is bad. Some minor technical annoyance (pop in)... I think the metacritic and opencritic score are good because the game is good... It is an average of all review and most of the time very fair.....

Yeah, many of the 8/10 and 9/10 reviews recognize the same weaknesses but they are dealing too uncritical with it. In my opinion the reviewers who have high demands should criticize AAA productions more. If they always accept it no AAA developer/publisher will ever try to be progressive or innovative.

Still. Despite a few inconsistencies Horizon Zero Dawn seems to be a good and high quality game..

The anesthetic doesn't appeal me :(

I like how cartoony is uncharted 4 and witcher 3 but horizon is appalling to me.

Dunno why :(

Because I do think it does look beautiful and have mice animations. But i don't like it.

This is so weird.

The anesthetic doesn't appeal me :(

I like how cartoony is uncharted 4 and witcher 3 but horizon is appalling to me.

Dunno why :(

Because I do think it does look beautiful and have mice animations. But i don't like it.

This is so weird.
It doesn't speak to me either. You are not alone. The visuals just feel off to me too. But I have a feeling it will grow on me when I will play it. It has a strange combo of tribal+Metal surfaces+cartoonish characters vibe to it.
Man these 7 days are going to be long. The time after pre ordering is always the most difficult to pass. I should bury myself in work.

I never liked it originally, but all the metal animals look great, and the nature has evolved to look quite stunning. I still don't really like the character designs, but even here the faces have started to look more convincing over time.

I never even got close to finishing the Witcher III, so I'm not sure if I should have a go at this game, but in the Witcher III it was the actual fighting that held me back, and the traversal and fighting in this game sounds much better, more like an open-world Uncharted. And the main narrative sounds like a good driver too.

I never liked it originally, but all the metal animals look great, and the nature has evolved to look quite stunning. I still don't really like the character designs, but even here the faces have started to look more convincing over time.

I never even got close to finishing the Witcher III, so I'm not sure if I should have a go at this game, but in the Witcher III it was the actual fighting that held me back, and the traversal and fighting in this game sounds much better, more like an open-world Uncharted. And the main narrative sounds like a good driver too.
I am perfectly sure this game is very small compared to Witcher 3. A friend of mine still keeps telling me tales from side quests of Witcher 3 which I never saw. Witcher 3 is huge game and now with DLCs......
No, Horizon is a smaller, tighter effort, I am sure. Less RPG, more action adventure. So, yes, surely easier to finish.

I never finished TW3, got up to the snowy region and called it quit. The game bored me half way, there're way too many fetch quests for my liking. But that said I really did enjoy some of the main quests but the pacing sorta ruined it for me. I just hope Horizon keeps everything tight, well balanced and paced if the world isn't as big as TW3's.

I think it looks great, but after reading through a bunch of reviews I'm fairly certain that this won't be a game to my tastes at all. Seems like it adheres to the Ubisoft design formula while offering little to nothing new in terms of mechanics in order to to set itself apart from the crowd. Quite unlike the Ass-Creed-clone looking Shadow of Mordor managed to do for example. Hope I'm wrong on that one.

Last edited:
Yeah I got bored with witcher and 3 too. People flames ffxv story and pacing but at least it keeps pulling me to play and finish it. The gameplay also sooooooooo much more fun than witcher 3.

From the reviews I read, it seems horizon zero dawn is smaller than witcher and ffxv, but combined the best of witcher 3 and ffxv.

The story in the quests are more like witcher 3 (so it have more weigh), while the gameplay is more active and engaging like ffxv. They also have nice cutscenes like old final Fantasy (but much more comprehensible).

Yeah I got bored with witcher and 3 too. People flames ffxv story and pacing but at least it keeps pulling me to play and finish it. The gameplay also sooooooooo much more fun than witcher 3.

From the reviews I read, it seems horizon zero dawn is smaller than witcher and ffxv, but combined the best of witcher 3 and ffxv.

The story in the quests are more like witcher 3 (so it have more weigh), while the gameplay is more active and engaging like ffxv. They also have nice cutscenes like old final Fantasy (but much more comprehensible).

The problem of the Witcher 3 is the main story is too long, the pacing suffer during Novigrad part... I needed to stop playing and I come back two month after and finish the game... Too much time searching ciri and padding imo...

Back