Horizon: Zero Dawn - Graphics de-Gushing

I noticed on this video, that the clouds only cast shadows on far away geometry. Is it an artistical choice or a techincal limitation?

It has to be a technical limitation I reckon, global cloud shadow casting might be too much to the console. But to even have cloud shadows running among all other features of the engine is still a pretty amazing achievement.

Yeah even goes as far as saying the engine is a whole league above everyone else:oops: which is no small praise. I wonder who were those 30 studios he visited.

He visited Epic Games and like I have said a few months ago it was the first engine he decided to ditch and he explained in an interview with the PS Blog he want to customise tools too not only the renderer.

He visited all first party studio, DICE too...

After he is now independent if one day he is not happy of his collaboration with Sony he can decide after Death Stranding to use UE 4 for example or more probably create a new engine... Or if he wants to do a new thing he is free...

Edit: I doubt he will not be happy with Sony, it is a relationship build upon years of trust and Sony continue to offer him the best support for Death Stranding

Last edited:
Same thing the first demo from E3 2016 with Norman Reedus was coming from another first party engine probably...

The tools are good, two sessions about the Decima tools at GDC 2017... It was another things he wanted to have into the engine...

I noticed on this video, that the clouds only cast shadows on far away geometry. Is it an artistical choice or a techincal limitation?

The clouds shadows are faked, they don't go in the same direction as the clouds.
They follow the same patern, they should also change with the position of the sun.

dhMeAzK.gif

It has to be a technical limitation I reckon, global cloud shadow casting might be too much to the console. But to even have cloud shadows running among all other features of the engine is still a pretty amazing achievement.

The clouds shadows are faked, they don't go in the same direction as the clouds.
They follow the same patern, they should also change with the position of the sun.

What a shame. They were so close to have the ultimate real time sky... They already have dynamic, fully volumetric, ray-marched clouds with correct god-rays, that seem to not be faked in screenspace, and aparently, they also seem to raycast fog on top of that too.

As for using the good-old scrolling random tiled cloud texture technique to fake cloud shadows, sure that is cheaper than computing acurate shadows that match the sky, but I don't think applying that only to distant geometry vs. the entire screen makes much of a difference, but I could be wrong... So, in that case, the specific choice of not having those clouds affect the near-player area , be those shadows fake or not, might be purely artistic. Not to confuse the player maybe?

Also, since they have a dynamic volumetric clouds being simulated in real time, I can't see why the shadows (even if faked with a random texture) can't match the same movement direction as the clouds in the sky. They could even account for sun position, although in a very geometrically innacurate way (by using an angle calculated assuming perfectly flat ground and cloud layers). So if there is a mismatch there, it's probably due to lack of dev. time than lack of processing cycles avaliable.

I'd even say that creating a cloud shadow texture that does match the sky simulation might not be that expensive either. They are more than half the way there since they already have the real-time cloud volume sim and ray-marcher in place. All they need is to use that same system to render the clouds from the perspective of the sun into a cloud shadow texture. Not that rendering their clouds twice is an inconsequential cost, but for the shadows, all they need is coverage (no shading), they can do away with even lower resolution (very soft shadows) and they can rely even more heavily on temporal amortization (not-camera dependent, very slow changing). So even that, might be more of a limitation of dev time than available processing power.

Here is hoping they do implement that stuff on their next game!

What a shame. They were so close to have the ultimate real time sky... They already have dynamic, fully volumetric, ray-marched clouds with correct god-rays, that seem to not be faked in screenspace, and aparently, they also seem to raycast fog on top of that too.

As for using the good-old scrolling random tiled cloud texture technique to fake cloud shadows, sure that is cheaper than computing acurate shadows that match the sky, but I don't think applying that only to distant geometry vs. the entire screen makes much of a difference, but I could be wrong... So, in that case, the specific choice of not having those clouds affect the near-player area , be those shadows fake or not, might be purely artistic. Not to confuse the player maybe?

Also, since they have a dynamic volumetric clouds being simulated in real time, I can't see why the shadows (even if faked with a random texture) can't match the same movement direction as the clouds in the sky. They could even account for sun position, although in a very geometrically innacurate way (by using an angle calculated assuming perfectly flat ground and cloud layers). So if there is a mismatch there, it's probably due to lack of dev. time than lack of processing cycles avaliable.

I'd even say that creating a cloud shadow texture that does match the sky simulation might not be that expensive either. They are more than half the way there since they already have the real-time cloud volume sim and ray-marcher in place. All they need is to use that same system to render the clouds from the perspective of the sun into a cloud shadow texture. Not that rendering their clouds twice is an inconsequential cost, but for the shadows, all they need is coverage (no shading), they can do away with even lower resolution (very soft shadows) and they can rely even more heavily on temporal amortization (not-camera dependent, very slow changing). So even that, might be more of a limitation of dev time than available processing power.

Here is hoping they do implement that stuff on their next game!

I will repeat it again they don't push the PS4 to the limit and on PS4 Pro too they can do better than this, like you said they have done what they can during the development time. The next game will be better and Death Stranding will look better than Horizon Zero Dawn...

I know someone working on Decima engine but he is on the Kojima productions team since a short time...

EDIT: They have more margin on PS4 pro than PS4...

Good to know Chris! This certainly makes logical sense as this is their very first open world game and chances are Decima is not nearly optimized to the best of its potential yet. Who knows maybe they'll implement visual improvements later on via patches just like how Driveclub received the self shadowing parallax occlusion map, dynamic weather and rainbow etc:). For me I'm actually not too fussed about cloud shadows, I do however would like to see better water shaders and interaction.

I hope one of the first prioritie is improving the human AI, it is sad to see a poor human AI from the Killzone dveloper...

Last edited:
Do you know why the filtering is kind of poor on PS4 ? Look like there is no AF at all sometimes. Which is kinda of ruining the visuals... 2016 graphics mixed with pre-2000 filtering... I'm a little hard here, but, the art is so good, and then the filtering is poor... It doesn't make sense to me.

Do you know why the filtering is kind of poor on PS4 ? Look like there is no AF at all sometimes. Which is kinda of ruining the visuals... 2016 graphics mixed with pre-2000 filtering... I'm a little hard here, but, the art is so good, and then the filtering is poor... It doesn't make sense to me.

It's to save performances but the texture filtering isn't worse than in other games. All consoles games tend to have a mediocre texture filtering.

jpg

Back