Horizon: Zero Dawn - Graphics de-Gushing

Jesus, this is like a scene from Planet Earth.
k3tm8Gs.jpg

Or a J.J. Abrams movie.

Really, it's a great screen though. I think we're a long ways from anything that's convincingly "real life," but the game does a very good job of pretty much everything, from what I've seen.

Zero Dawn is one of the rare game where the developers never tried to dupe the gamers.

Official PR screenshot :

outro-1434425342_rkvt.png

Actual gameplay screenshot from a PS4 Pro :

_2013333b.jpg

Actually, you can notice a nice upgrade compared to most of the PR screenshots (especially the oldest ones) :

horizon%20zero%20dawn%20(7).jpg

Last edited:
Actually, you can notice a nice upgrade compared to most of the PR screenshots (especially the oldest ones) :

The art and color pallette of the old screen looks way better and cleaner (IQ?). I'm not one to judge technically but I suspect that too. I would have preferred if possible they stuck with the style of the old screen.

I'm not overly impressed with a lot of PS4 exclusives that get lauded for graphics, Infamous SS or Uncharted 4 elicited yawns (they looked nice enough, ok maybe not the former, but hardly jaw dropping, more the usual incremental improvements) , but I have to say overall this one looks pretty darn great. Guerilla is back in force after their one game graphical prowess hiatus I guess. Even more surprised this game rated so high gameplay wise from critics compared to their past efforts. Overall it is pushing open world graphics I dont know, probably higher than anything seen before (maybe Witcher 3 on a high end PC could compare? Dont know)

The one thing that's odd is Aloy's face, it looks kinda weird in some clips I've seen. Meaning actual gameplay not cutscenes.

It looks cool, I hope I can convince my brother to buy a PS4 so I can watch him play this. Doubt it though.

The art and color pallette of the old screen looks way better and cleaner (IQ?). I'm not one to judge technically but I suspect that too. I would have preferred if possible they stuck with the style of the old screen.

The lighting and the foliage looks much better to me in the final build.

A better example here :

apercu-horizon-zero-dawn-image-listing.jpg

I'm not overly impressed with a lot of PS4 exclusives that get lauded for graphics

You have pretty high standards then. :yep2:

ratchet-clank-581b468e8f38f.jpg

You have pretty high standards then. :yep2:

Just Rangers fighting the good fight.

The game looks amazing, I can't wait...I was going to wait for the price to drop but the hype and dropping the price of the Limited edition to £55 snagged me (I'm
a sucker for a steelbook) - will likely swap out the disk for digital, I was expecting mixed reviews but GG seem to have delivered

Also notice how every tree is heavily coated with layers of detailed leaves, vines and sometimes ants carrying leaves all the while maintaining such density on the terrain, this is simply incredible and sparing no processing cycles:). The per capital tree is much higher than other open world's.

Another official screenshot (among the first ones) :

image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0002.jpg

Once again, imo everything looks better in the final build.

If you don't have a 4k or/and HDR TV. Is it still worth to buy a PS4 pro just for this games graphics?? Or is in this case (PS4 pro, 1080p TV, no HDR) not really a graphics difference compared to PS4?

I can understand if someone doesn't like the art style, as a matter of personal taste, but I think it's pretty much impossible to argue this game isn't technically accomplished or well crafted.

If you don't have a 4k or/and HDR TV. Is it still worth to buy a PS4 pro just for this games graphics?? Or is in this case (PS4 pro, 1080p TV, no HDR) not really a graphics difference compared to PS4?
According to DF the Pro offers higher res textures, better AF, more stable framerate and of course downsampling on a 1080p tv. I would play it on the Pro for sure.

This game really amazing. It's especially beautiful in motion, the animations are something else. I saw it yesterday running on what I presumed was a PS4 pro, looking closer it was actually playing on a non-Pro :D I really have to get this game!

It looks 'next-gen', I'd imagine this is what games would look like on Scorpio (had MS invested in studios to utilise the machine).. So unreal to have it run today on PS4 and Pro

If not just for this game, I think the Pro is worth getting for boost mode + improved patched games.

But Horizon on the standard PS4 seems to look and run great.

On the topic of the visuals in this game... simply amazing. GG shows once again what they're capable of. I still think Shadowfall holds up well for a launch game, but this is just on another level.

I think as a whole, this is the most impressive PS4 title I've seen, or at least up there with the best (The Order, Driveclub, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank). I have no doubt that Gran Turismo Sport and God of War will make the list as well.

Last edited:
Back