HDHomeRun DVR Kickstarter

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
I know there's a bunch of HTPC owners here. I have a Ceton for my HTPC and a HDHomeRun Prime for the rest of my network. This would be the first software DVR available that would allow recording and playback of protected content.

HDHomeRUN DVR Kickstarter

I'm not interested in something that has a $30 a year subscription price just for the Guide data. For a large company to do a Kickstarter project makes it seem like they have no idea how it would be received at all, so they're testing the waters. They haven't even provided solid details on how they're dealing with CableLabs certification on the Protected DRM requirements. It sounds like they're winging it all and haven't any idea on how it will turn out.

Frankly, the software space is crowded with mediocre recording software, but the hardware space is very laking. Now if it was actually hardware like a 6-tuner Cable Card Transcoder Tuner then I'd be all over it. I'm still disappointed in SiliconDust not giving any details at all over why they never released their 4-tuner CC Transcoder Tuner.

Yep that's some of the reasons I haven't gone in yet. Other companies have tried to obtain CL certs and failed, MS being the only one ever to barely get certified. The 6-tuner cable transcoder tuner would be fantastic, maybe they're side-funding it with this as well.

If they do happen to get certified and extensive support in Europe etc. then at least we would finally have an alternative to WMC for protected content. WMC continues to get zero work done to it and losing features slowly.

Back