HD-DVD Will Win the Format War!

BR owners should be happy to know that the next release of Warner batch on BR will be using VC-1 and should identical to their HD DVD counterparts (the same encode can be transfered between the two).

This will also let everyone know if the Samsung really does have an issue or it was just smoke and mirrors :smile:

Thanks for the info good sir and yes that is good news!

Wow, £15inc vat for 25GB blu-ray.

For a 100tub of DVD-R single sided. £14.69 from overclockers.co.uk

Blu-ray needs to come down by alot, to be competitive! As in price per GB.

Thatts always the way with the new formats. The same thing happened when DVD-R and then DL-DVD came out. They started fairly expensive in single and low volume packages at like $10 each then slowly came down in price as people bought the burners and market demand went up. The DL are still relatively expensive but a lot less than when they were first released.

Once the tech has been around awhile and there are lots of BR or HD-DVD burners on the market for a decent price, the disc price will come soaring down.

Wow, £15inc vat for 25GB blu-ray.

For a 100tub of DVD-R single sided. £14.69 from overclockers.co.uk

Blu-ray needs to come down by alot, to be competitive! As in price per GB.

I honestly dont' think either format will do well for burning purposes.

Music burning is pretty much dead with MP3 players.
Unless AACS and BD+ get hacked, you won't be making "backup" copies of your Hi Def DVD's.
This leave us with data store. By the time either formats optical recordable media comes down in price, portable hard drives and flash will rule.
I'm an IT Director for a company thus dealing with various vendors and consultants. Flash drives are king. For big transfers, portable HDD's or FTP. No one burns CD/DVD's anymore. Tape backup solutions for small to medium sized businesses are being phased out by Live backups/electronic vaults. I don't see a strong future for either optical medium when it comes write/rewrite.

There will always be a niche that will want to take the trouble of ripping old DVD's converting them and what not but they will certainly not be the masses. It's already too much of a pain to burn DVD's for most people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tape backup solutions for small to medium sized businesses are being phased out by Live backups/electronic vaults. I don't see a strong future for either optical medium when it comes write/rewrite.

Yeah, I think even for personal use, harddisks are becoming the best way for backup. Put a big harddisk in an external drive box, copy all your data into it, then disconnect it and put it to a safe place, and now you have a very reliable backup. Considering the quality of recent DVD+/-R discs (and burners), I think a harddisk is more reliable than most DVD+/-R.

Back