The impact of PS3 in winning the HD Format War

The point is, all games on PS3 just happen to be on BD. There's no choice in the matter. i.e. people can buy the expensive console to play games. Insinuating that people are daft for not playing BD movies because they've bought this piece of hardware with that capability is a bit of a daft statement in itself when the main function of that hardware is playing video games, and there do indeed exist people without HDTVs.

And playing back BD on an SDTV is rather daft, I might say. ;)

(I wish I had a British accent right now. :p)

Maybe people buy blu-ray movies knowing they will eventually buy a HDTV.

I think I would to be honest. May as well buy the movie on blu-ray now than buy it on DVD now and buy it again on Blu-Ray when I finally get a HDTV.

(Hypothetically speaking that is, I already have a HDTV)

Sony is giving away PS3 to Bravia customers in Australia. It will end next monday.

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/lcd/0,239035307,339284680,00.htm
"Sony gives away free PS3 with 1080p BRAVIA

By Ty Pendlebury

Tags: 1080p | 40gb | blu-ray | bravia | free | lcd | playstation 3 | w | x | xbr

* Increase font size

In one of the most aggressive moves in the HD war yet, Sony Australia has announced it will give away free PlayStation 3 consoles with every one of its 1080p televisions.

From 21 December until 21 January 2008 customers who buy one of the BRAVIA XBR, X or W series LCDs will receive a 40GB PS3 (worth $699).

With the 40-inch W series starting at AU$2,999 this would be a relatively inexpensive way to get into HD and the (admittedly still small) world of Blu-ray movies.

"Our Full HD BRAVIA range shows the phenomenal detail possible with high definition, and what better way to experience this than through the Blu-ray-enabled PS3," senior product manager for Visual at Sony Australia Graham Keogh said in a press release.

"Sony is as much about content as we are about hardware. Now, consumers will get the best of both worlds with this full high-definition combination," he said."

Back