[hd-dvd] Batman Begins, Harry Potter, The Matrix, Superman and Poseidon Coming Soon

AlphaWolf said:
I don't think you will see any massive numbers of movies from any studio in the first year. They want to release enough to grow interest, but they will want to wait for a large installed consumer base before they start really pushing product.
You would think that.
Sony pictures: 20 launch titles, 4 per month ramping up to 10 per month in Q4. (BRD)
Paramount: 10 launch titles, and "continued rollout" throughout 2006 including all 3 Mission Impossibles. (HD-DVD + BRD)
Fox: 20 "first wave titles", and "plan simultaneous releases of its films on BD and DVD" as the userbase grows. (BRD)
Universal: 10 launch titles, "plans to continue issuing new and catalog films throughout the year" (HD-DVD)
Warner: 5 launch titles, 24 in 3 months, ?? by years end. (HD-DVD (+BRD?))

Seems like Warner is the odd one out to me. Well, assuming Universal and Paramount rollout throughout the year is as good as their launch.

Edited; More complete Warner list, not so odd now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Disney was on Blu-Ray's side? But they have yet to announce any titles which is weird. As we get closer and closer to HD-DVD's launch it seems these movie studios are having second thoughts.

Nicked said:
You would think that.
Sony pictures: 20 launch titles, 4 per month ramping up to 10 per month in Q4. (BRD)
Paramount: 10 launch titles, and "continued rollout" throughout 2006 including all 3 Mission Impossibles. (HD-DVD + BRD)
Fox: 20 "first wave titles", and "plan simultaneous releases of its films on BD and DVD" as the userbase grows. (BRD)
Universal: 10 launch titles, "plans to continue issuing new and catalog films throughout the year" (HD-DVD)
Warner: 3 launch titles, 24 by years end. (HD-DVD (+BRD?))

Seems like Warner is the odd one out to me. Well, assuming Universal and Paramount rollout throughout the year is as good as their launch.

This could get really ugly. Thanks for the list. :???:

Hardknock said:
I thought Disney was on Blu-Ray's side? But they have yet to announce any titles which is weird. As we get closer and closer to HD-DVD's launch it seems these movie studios are having second thoughts.

Dog what until CES is over first. Thank you.

Well, I just think, as usual, people are expecting too much too soon. We'll see what happens when there are actual Blu-Ray players on the market and HD-DVD players on the market and companies announce more about their lineups for both formats.

This is just the very beginning of the announcements stuff. Blu-RAy has the support of every company out there right now. HD-DVD has the support of most besides a big few.

Hardknock said:
This could get really ugly. Thanks for the list. :???:
Actually I think what you posted about Warners list is incorrect, heres the updated:

3/28 - Batman Begins, Constantine, Million Dollar Baby, Phantom of the Opera, Twister

4/11 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, The Last Samurai, Lethal Weapon, Training Day, Unforgiven

4/25 - Goodfellas, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Matrix, Swordfish, Syriana (day and date with regular DVD)

5/9 - Blazing Saddles, Dukes of Hazzard, Full Metal Jacket, Rumor Has It (day and date), Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

5/16 - Charlie & Chocolate Factory, The Green Mile: Special Edition, Ocean's Twelve, Troy
Thats 24 by 5/16 not 24 for the year.
That puts Warner in a better light. Real support by all the players.

Nicked said:
You would think that.
Warner: 3 launch titles, 24 by years end. (HD-DVD (+BRD?))

Well the only one I have seen any firm dates on is Warner. All BRD ones say stuff like first wave or summer. Do you have a link that suggest otherwise?

AlphaWolf said:
Well the only one I have seen any firm dates on is Warner. All BRD ones say stuff like first wave or summer. Do you have a link that suggest otherwise?

Yep your right. No dates = Liars.

Nicked said:
Actually I think what you posted about Warners list is incorrect, heres the updated:

Thats 24 by 5/16 not 24 for the year.
That puts Warner in a better light. Real support by all the players.

Wow, thanks Nicked. Sorry about that.

Batman Begins, Constantine, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, The Last Samurai, Lethal Weapon, Training Day, Goodfellas, The Matrix, Swordfish, Syriana (day and date with regular DVD), Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, The Green Mile: Special Edition, Ocean's Twelve, Troy

All by May??? :oops:

And this isn't even including the LOTR from New Line! I just might have to take the plunge. :oops:

AlphaWolf said:
Grow up ffs and let the adults have a discussion.

I'm just having fun man. Chill out. It's funny to see this discussion actually happening in real-time. I using would catch threads juicy as this the next morning.

pipo said:
So, BR vs HDDVD movies, what are the prices going to be?

For the stand alone players:

$500 for HD-DVD

$1000 for Blu-Ray

For Movies:

I expect HD-DVD movies to be cheaper since they cost less than Blu-Ray movies to manufacture.

Hardknock said:

$500 for HD-DVD

$1000 for Blu-Ray

For Movies:

I expect HD-DVD movies to be cheaper since they cost less than Blu-Ray movies to manufacture.

PS3 will cost $1000? :oops:

Doesn't the BluRay camp have like about 80% of Hollywood, while HD-DVD camp has like 20%?

Wouldn't more content=winner?

Blu-Ray cost

Hardknock said:

$500 for HD-DVD

$1000 for Blu-Ray

For Movies:

Cost of Blu-Ray is not so much per disc cost which is not so much different from HD-DVD but need for new master equipment. HD-DVD can be made on old DVD equipment. But benefit of Blu-Ray is much smaller and less complicated "mastering" equipement, more hardware customers, much more capacity. Only benefit is initial cost is loweer for disc maker. For consumer Blu-Ray is much better and price same or very little more than HD-DVD with better quality and more content.

BTOA said:
Now do the math for exclusive material that is where it matters most. ;)

For exclusive material, BDROM has ~50% (Sony and MGM) and HDDVD has ~20% (Universal). The rest is all a big orgy.

Back