[hd-dvd] Batman Begins, Harry Potter, The Matrix, Superman and Poseidon Coming Soon

Hardknock

Veteran
Warner and Universal Set HD-DVD dates.

No Blu-Ray titles announced so far.

This could be a HUGE push for HD-DVD and the add-on for 360. :)

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6296812.html

Warner, Universal set HD DVD slates
Batman Begins flies into format March 28
By Scott Hettrick 1/4/2006
JAN. 4 | Warner Home Video and Universal Studios Home Entertainment will release the first of their HD DVD titles in March.

Warner has set several of its first 24 titles for release on March 28, including Batman Begins and Million Dollar Baby, followed shortly thereafter on April 11 with another batch led by Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

In announcements late Wednesday night at CES in Las Vegas, Warner revealed that the studio also would release upcoming summer theatrical movies Superman Returns and Poseidon on HD DVD simultaneously with the DVD release of those movies later this year.

Warner also has endorsed the Blu-ray Disc format, but the announcement did not address plans for Blu-ray, players for which are not expected until late spring or summer.

“We are pleased to confirm the availability of 24 titles, which will enable consumers to start building their high-definition libraries,â€￾ said Warner Home Video president Ron Sanders. “Warner Bros. has always been an innovator in home entertainment and is committed to delivering the best experience in any format.â€￾

Among Universal’s first 10 titles timed to coincide with the introduction of the first HD DVD players in March will be The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Jarhead, Doom, Cinderella Man, Apollo 13 and The Bourne Supremacy.

"The launch of HD DVD marks a new era in the evolution of home entertainment," said USHE president Craig Kornblau.

HBO Video, which is distributed by sister company Warner, will release Deadwood and The Sopranos on HD DVD sometime this year.

In a nifty nod to precedence, Warner is releasing Twister as one of its first titles on March 28, nearly nine years to the day that the movie became the first major DVD release.

Other titles planned include such recent DVD and theatrical releases as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dukes of Hazzard, Rumor Has It and Syriana.

Among the catalog titles from Warner will be Unforgiven (April 11), Goodfellas and The Matrix (April 25), Blazing Saddles (May 9) and The Green Mile Special Edition (May 16).

Hardknock said:
This could be a HUGE push for HD-DVD and the add-on for 360.

In the other thread you said if HD-DVD was included with the 360 from the start, only a "small percentage" would use it to watch movies, but now it's a "HUGE push"?

Your logic is not very consistent.

Warner is obviously *the* studio on HD-DVD's side of the fence, and though they are with Blu-ray now too, I'm sure they'd rather see HD-DVD succeed.

Anyway I wonder if and when during the show they'll announce their level of Blu-ray commitment. It'll be interesting to see if it's the same movies or some smaller offering.

Edge said:
In the other thread you said if HD-DVD was included with the 360 from the start, only a "small percentage" would use it to watch movies, but now it's a "HUGE push"?

Your logic is not very consistent.

No you're just not comprehending ;)

A huge push for the HD-DVD add-on doesn't have a damn thing to do with the 360 including it in every 360.

Hardknock said:
No Blu-Ray titles announced so far

Didn't Titanio comment on 10 Blu Ray movies announced....

....the ones I remember being

Terminator 2

Black Hawk Down

Resevior Dogs

EDIT: Found it...its in the official CES thread, First page....

Titanio said:
Lions Gate's first 10 titles include:

Lord of War
The Punisher
The Devil's Rejects
Saw
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Reservoir Dogs
Total Recall
Dune
Rambo: First Blood

They also seem to be planning simultaneous Blu-ray/DVD releases:

"Lionsgate's upcoming May theatrical horror release "See No Evil," featuring WWE star Kane, will be the company's first title released simultaneously on DVD and Blu-ray, Lionsgate president Steve Beeks said."

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...2_RTRUKOC_0_US-FILM-BLURAY.xml&archived=False

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardknock said:
No you're just not comprehending ;)

A huge push for the HD-DVD add-on doesn't have a damn thing to do with the 360 including it in every 360.

Hardknock Warner is apart of the Blu-ray Assoication. I now that those same movies will be on Blu-ray also. I just think you don't know what you are talking about.

Nicked said:
Warner just joined the BDA today:
Warner Bros. Joins Blu-ray Disc Association and Will Release Its Films on Next Generation Blu-ray High Definition Optical Media Disc
http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20060104006092&newsLang=en

Indoubtedly these will all be on Blu-ray as well.
Shock and awe.
Those Universal titles? Pretty bad.

What the hell? I thought Warner joined the BDA months ago. In fact, I *know* they did. Maybe they weren't on the board before? The whole release just seems bizarre.

@BlueTsunami: I think Hardknock meant that Warner and Universal haven't announced any blu-ray support yet.

Blu-ray has sixty titles announced for it right now I think is the tally.

xbdestroya said:
What the hell? I thought Warner joined the BDA months ago. In fact, I *know* they did. Maybe they weren't on the board before? The whole release just seems bizarre.
Nope. They just said they would support it. And people expected an announcement. At least thats how I think it went down. They joined officially today, after their announced HD-DVD support.

Anyway, expect a LOT more Blu-ray announcements. Including Warners.

Nicked said:
Nope. They just said they would support it. And people expected an announcement. At least thats how I think it went down. They joined officially today, after their announced HD-DVD support.

Anyway, expect a LOT more Blu-ray announcements. Including Warners.

Warner helped define some of the Blu-ray standards for crying out loud! :p

BD-9? What?

I think that news release is just woefully behind. ;)

I mean I wrote an article on this back in the day for christ sake.

Here we go, I found the *real* date they joined the BDA.

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/downloadablefile/051020-13122.pdf

24 Warner HD-DVD titles come this year.

Warner HD-DVD Release List So Far:

3/28
Batman Begins
Million Dollar Baby
Twister

4/11
Harry Potter
Unforgiven

4/25
The Matrix

5/9
Saddles

5/16
The green mile Special Edition

Simultaneous with DVD release:
Superman Returns
Poseidon

10 titles from Universal on March 28th to include:

The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Jarhead, Doom, Cinderella Man, Apollo 13 and The Bourne Supremacy.

@ Mskmas8808

I know they're apart of the association. Which makes it all the more boggling that they haven't announced any titles yet.

xbdestroya said:
Here we go, I found the *real* date they joined the BDA.

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/downloadablefile/051020-13122.pdf
Eh, proved me wrong :)

Its not like businesswire is some minor site either. Maybe someone at Warner accidently re-released it :/

Hardknock said:
24 Warner HD-DVD titles come this year.
Only 24? That kind of pales in comparison to most all of the other studios. Only 3 at launch is kind of bad too. Still they hold some great IP. Alot of fans to some of those movies.

Nicked said:
Its not like businesswire is some minor site either. Maybe someone at Warner accidently re-released it :/

No I know, I agree. That was definitely weird.

Which format will Band of Brothers come out on? I wanna replace the DVD set I got and I'm never loaning my movies out to anyone ever again, bastards put them in places I feel sad just thinking about it.

My roommate put my Lost DVD's on the top of his PC case with the data side down!:mad:

Nicked said:
Only 24? That kind of pales in comparison to most all of the other studios. Only 3 at launch is kind of bad too. Still they hold some great IP. Alot of fans to some of those movies.

I don't think you will see any massive numbers of movies from any studio in the first year. They want to release enough to grow interest, but they will want to wait for a large installed consumer base before they start really pushing product.

AlphaWolf said:
I don't think you will see any massive numbers of movies from any studio in the first year. They want to release enough to grow interest, but they will want to wait for a large installed consumer base before they start really pushing product.

What would you consider massive numbers. Sony alone is launching close to that at launch. And they will release more every month.

mckmas8808 said:
What would you consider massive numbers. Sony alone is launching close to that at launch. And they will release more every month.

Umm, this is not all the support that HD-DVD has. This is only 2 studios.

Back