Kinect Games

I'm sure other game companies also have access to the Windows SDK as well as the Kinect for Windows device.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a relaunch of Kinect for Windows in the next 1-2 years if there are some good Kinect applications incubating for use with Windows. And especially if cost to manufacture goes down in that time and they can thus sell it at a lower price point and still make a profit on the hardware.

Perhaps timed with the launch of Windows 8. Windows 8 Metro interface would be a good candidate for use with Kinect as opposed to the current Windows desktop where Kinect will be a bit clunky at the Windows UI layer.

Either way an official release and official support for the device is an important step in getting it universally accepted in the Windows developement ecosystem.

Regards,
SB

I think the swinging sideways might throw this game off.

Hmm not sure if that will throw it off. I think the most annoying part would be the speed of navigation. I find navigating through game menus and choosing where I want to go slower and sometimes unintuitive with Kinect even though (at least the latter) should have been the opposite. Its probably the fact that it requires sometimes gestures that dont make much sense in the real world and the fact that it deliberately takes about 2 seconds until the game confirms your action so it would avoid mistaking an accidental gesture as an intended action

Hmm not sure if that will throw it off. I think the most annoying part would be the speed of navigation. I find navigating through game menus and choosing where I want to go slower and sometimes unintuitive with Kinect even though (at least the latter) should have been the opposite. Its probably the fact that it requires sometimes gestures that dont make much sense in the real world and the fact that it deliberately takes about 2 seconds until the game confirms your action so it would avoid mistaking an accidental gesture as an intended action

you don't think looking forward & swinging sideways to swing forward in a game is going to throw a game off?

I'm curious to know how you line up your shot and how it would figure out if you slice or hook the ball.

Prolly cheat and use club axis. If your club vertical axis is facing away from the tv at ball impact then slice. If it's facing towards the tv then hook.

you don't think looking forward & swinging sideways to swing forward in a game is going to throw a game off?

I didnt say it wont. I said I am not sure as in I dont know. The brain may adapt accordingly.

No Steel Battalion news? The game that might make me go buy a kinect?

The demo is supposed to be out, I'm eager to see how it plays and works. Seems like a lot of stuff to do inside the cockpit with kinect while trying to use a controller at the same time.

Either awesome or fail, I have difficulty seeing how it could just be 'ok'.

So come on you B3D'ers with Kinect, it don't cost nothing, give us the scoop on the demo!

I haven't paid for gold in years so, no demo for me. But I saw it this morning at a friends house, and it is amazing. the controls don't seem to work well, but the game is so intense!
also i really like the visual design.

So a Kinect game defects to controller based gameplay: I wonder how long Joy Ride Turbo has been done and waiting to be published?

Actually this game was developed as a controller based game, then shoehorned into Kinect controls, and now it's come full-circle. ;)

I actually played my Xbox for the first time in a long while. Checked out Steel Battalion because of Rancid & while my first impression wasn't real great, it did get better. I don't think the hardcore will like it as much as the original games. The Kinect & controller interface is mostly an "either or" affair. Most of the time you're using one or the other. The Kinect interaction is not as accurate I had hoped, but I did get better at it. I thought I heard the story bits will take advantage of the Kinect more so than gameplay, but I think that's because you use your hands to pan your view around inside the mech to see your squad mates(there are 3 other guys inside the mech with you). I highly recommend trying out the demo before buying it. Also, hold back your opinion until you've had a lot of time with the controls.

BTW, tried out Kinect Star Wars demo. That was actually really fun. It's most likely a buy, but not until a price drop. Also, if you have kids & they like Disney, then definitely check out the Kinect DisneyLand Adventures & Kinect Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure. A downloaded a lot of other Kinect demos & I'll eventually get to them. So far the demos have been enough to wet my Kinect appetite.

Tommy McClain

Actually this game was developed as a controller based game, then shoehorned into Kinect controls, and now it's come full-circle. ;)

Yeah, that was an atrocity. They should have released it as the free-to-play it was originally designed as. I think they would have made more money monetizing it that way.

Tommy McClain

So, apparently Steel Battalion really bites hard. All the reviews say that the kinect controls aren't precise enough and essentially make you do things you don't want to do (like vent steam instead of reload your weapon), and while you're fumbling with the controls, the AI blow you away.

Really too bad, I was hoping for great reviews and a reason to buy kinect. I still don't have one. What's the only other game that's supposed to be hardcore? Nightmare something or other?

Has anybody played it? I think the skinny on it was that you have to play standing up and move your leg forward to run or some weird thing. Anybody know?

No idea. Kinect is really not built for the hardcore. Trying to shoehorn it into current game styles will only end in tears, in my opinion. Where it shines is in new applications, and those tend to be counted as "lame" to hardcore twitch gamers. I had a ton of fun playing dance central (even though usually I would not be found anywhere near a dancefloor) and Gunstringer. I also loved the voice control in Skyrim and Mass Effect. Would I have paid $150 for those experiences? I dunno, maybe.

I use it practically every day to control my videos with voice, and every time I do, it feels like I'm in the future(tm). (there are a few voice things I have access to that you guys don't that make it feel even more futurish, but that's for the future ;))

If we, at some point, release a better version with significantly upgraded 3d resolution, _then_ you will start seeing some interesting hardcore applications. Think back to the really early gamepads (stick with one button) and imagine trying to control skyrim with it. Technology advances, if we give it a chance, and this thing is in early days yet.

bkilian said:
No idea. Kinect is really not built for the hardcore. Trying to shoehorn it into current game styles will only end in tears, in my opinion. Where it shines is in new applications, and those tend to be counted as "lame" to hardcore twitch gamers. I had a ton of fun playing dance central (even though usually I would not be found anywhere near a dancefloor) and Gunstringer. I also loved the voice control in Skyrim and Mass Effect. Would I have paid $150 for those experiences? I dunno, maybe.

I use it practically every day to control my videos with voice, and every time I do, it feels like I'm in the future(tm). (there are a few voice things I have access to that you guys don't that make it feel even more futurish, but that's for the future ;))

If we, at some point, release a better version with significantly upgraded 3d resolution, _then_ you will start seeing some interesting hardcore applications. Think back to the really early gamepads (stick with one button) and imagine trying to control skyrim with it. Technology advances, if we give it a chance, and this thing is in early days yet.

I am looking forward to this...

Wow, so Steel Battalion is really bad. I just thought I wasn't being accurate enough in the demo. Though I did get better. Just not sure I would have gotten good enough to actually enjoy it.

Anyway, look at this...

The Five Worst Kinect Experiences Outside of Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor
http://www.gamerlive.tv/article/fiv...-outside-steel-battalion-heavy-armor-xbox-360

For those that can't be bothered reading it...

1. Blackwater
  2. Self-Defense Training Camp
  3. Fighters Uncaged
  4. Motionsports Adrenaline & Deca Sports Freedom
  5. Raving Rabbids: Alive and Kicking

Personally I think bkilian is right about core gaming experiences on Kinect at this time. If that's what you're looking for & only that, then you're only going to be disappointed. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun with it as a core gamer. Just realize you're going to be playing some games that are lighter fare. I believe core gamers will like Dance Central 1/2, Kinect Sports 1/2, Kinect Adventures, Gunstringer & Kinect Star Wars. As time moves on there will be better games to attract the core, but if you're really needing a reason to buy Kinect: buy it for the voice control. That's absolutely worth it in itself.

BTW, Rancid knowing you like I do, I don't think you're going to be happy with the Kinect games going after the core like Steel Battalion. Get it for those games that aren't for the core & relax & have some fun. Don't worry about the the less-than accurate motion tracking & or any of that. Get off that couch & flail around like a 10yr old. :)

BTW, I think you're thinking of Rise of Nightmares, Diabolical Pitch & Crimson Dragon. You might look at those. Only the latter hasn't released.

Tommy McClain

No idea. Kinect is really not built for the hardcore. Trying to shoehorn it into current game styles will only end in tears, in my opinion. Where it shines is in new applications, and those tend to be counted as "lame" to hardcore twitch gamers.
Depressingly, new applications never amount to the hardware's potential. Like sixaxis never doing much, or GT5's head tracking being completely lame. If GT5's head track was natural, changing the camera slightly on where you position your head so those natural attempts to look around hills and corners actually worked, it'd be awesome. And that's technically possible (AFAIK), but not happening. I'm sure there are plenty of hardcore motion tracking enhancements that could be applied, but developers are really ham-fisted with the new interface systems, seemingly single minded in using old button interfaces mapped to them or following other trends, and failing to look for and find the new areas where these interfaces could actually add something.

I bought PSEye (Eye of Judgement) expecting great things. I had wised up come Move and held off buying until there was something I really wanted, which hasn't happened yet.

Back