Have you seen ghost? Did you live in a "ghost seeing" society?

Seen ghost?

• Yes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • I wonder why games and films pictures them as something scary. They are amazing!!111oneoneone

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
just curious with the other part of the worlds and you guys are from many places all around the world.

There are superstitious people around here who claim there are ghosts. I am not one of them at all.

Never seen one. But if the question is about if you believe there are ghosts (or ghost like entity), then yes.

so nobody have seen them.

wondering whether the ghost people see is similar with what media they consumes >_<

I've experienced some things that I cannot explain. But I have not seen one.

Ah! Well my brother and my mother both claim to have seen or heard a ghost in the past, in separate occasions. But they're both totally bat shit crazy so I never really put too much thought into that. I think Italy is one of those places where people are more superstitious and you hear this kind of stuff more often.

Do people who can't explain how a magnetron works in a microwave oven believe that the food is being cooked by ghosts?
Not being able to explain how something technical actually works (I wouldn't be able to explain how a microwave really works) and not being able to explain something because it doesn't comply with one's perception of what is possible in this world are two very, very different things.

Not being able to explain how something technical actually works (I wouldn't be able to explain how a microwave really works) and not being able to explain something because it doesn't comply with one's perception of what is possible in this world are two very, very different things.
A sufficiently advanced technology will appear as magic to us, so no I don't agree with you that they are very, very different.

A sufficiently advanced technology will appear as magic to us, so no I don't agree with you that they are very, very different.
It will appear as magic to some of us, and other will think it's just extremely advanced tech.

I don't see what that has to do with someone seeing a light (or whatever they see) where it should not be. I don't particularly believe in this sort of thing, but I do accept that people can believe and see things that they can't explain. My mum had a brain tumor, so that one at least could explain her seeing a 'ghost'.

It's true that some people look at the world something like this:

I understand -> science
I don't understand -> magic
I don't understand but I think I can influence it with certain behavior -> superstition, religion

I studied Artificial Intelligence, and one popular definition of Intelligence there was "that which you cannot emulate with a computer" ...

The thread title should read: Do you think you have seen a ghost?

If ghosts existed (or mediums, clairvoyants, psychokinetics, etc) then within the millions and millions of hours spent trying to recreate supernatural events by regular people and scientists all over the world, someone somewhere would have been able to repeat a verifiable experiment proving the supernatural. They haven't. Not once.

Every 'supernatural' event has a logical, scientific, sometimes incredibly left-field and unexpected, rational answer.

The less educated, or mentally stable, the subject of unexplained phenomena is, the more likely they are to attribute the experience to the supernatural.

But there lots of highly educated person is really supernatural believer in my country. There's also phenomenon of "ki joko bodo" and "mama lorenz" that became very popular public figure for "far seer" or something.

wondering if human's perception of ghost and public believe also differ according to information (culture, media, stories, etc) they consumes.

this is just anecdote but nowadays:
when i think of "vampire" its the one that looks like dracula. But when i was a kid, for me "vampire" are those with chineese dress, stretched arms, and jumps funny.
when i think of "ghost" its those scary crap from P.T. or insidious. But when i was a kid, ghost was something cute and friendly (probably watching too many Casper and ghostly animes).

btw i also have not seen ghost although i was surrounded by ghost-seeing friends. Theres one that claim can see one and will suddenly froze. Like a PC that gone not responding. Then suddenly muttering "prayers" when she said the ghost has walked away. then theres also those that proudly claim can communicate with ghosts....

too bad i never asked them how the ghosts looks like in detail. But there's popular tv show about putting ghost into a bottle and drawing ghost sketches.

I managed to convince my boys that I'm a vampire (I've pretty convincing canines) and that they're half-vampires. They only seem to be concerned about when they get a thirst for blood.

So yeah, usually only the naive that believe in ghosts (or vampires).

It will appear as magic to some of us, and other will think it's just extremely advanced tech.

I don't see what that has to do with someone seeing a light (or whatever they see) where it should not be. I don't particularly believe in this sort of thing, but I do accept that people can believe and see things that they can't explain. My mum had a brain tumor, so that one at least could explain her seeing a 'ghost'.
So any unexplained phenomenon is a ghost?

I can accept that the brain can conjure images and feelings that are not real, but I don't accept that for instance the creepy gardener who lived in that house down the street is haunting his house after he died. If someone or something dying makes them a ghost, why aren't there mosquito ghosts everywhere? Ghost flies? Ghost rhubarb?

wondering if human's perception of ghost and public believe also differ according to information (culture, media, stories, etc) they consumes.

Undoubtedly perceptions would change based on cultural norms, but that all really falls under the 'education' banner.

'highly educated' does not necessarily equal 'well educated' (i.e. you can have lots of bad education):

I'm sure a lot of Americans think they are well educated, supremely confident that the scientific truth of dinosaurs is that none of them are older then 7000 years (or whatever horsepuckey it is that creationists teach).

I actually have a huge beef with media labelling these days, or in some cases the lack of labelling. H2 is a cable channel available in the UK that airs visual offal like Ghost Hunters, Ancient Alien Investigations and a host of other would-not-be-accepted-on-any-other-channel 'shows'.

These shows are portrayed as being factual, educational, documentary shows... all things they are absolutely not. There may be an extremely brief 'this show is for entertainment purposes only' disclaimer somewhere.

Just like cigarettes these shows cause cancer* and need unambiguous, up-front-and-centre labelling telling people that if they ingest the poison contained within they will almost certainly suffer health problems.

* This paragraph is for entertainment purposes only.

Ghost rhubarb?

Ever tried Ghost peppers? (Naga chilli)

If ever a vegetable was supernatural, it's that fiery little fella. On eating it causes ectoplasm to leak from your body, most notably the eyes.

No, they are not tears. It's ectoplasm, okay? Ectoplasm. :yes:

Back