Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

What sort of single player content is expected?

The campaign is really good, but there seems to be no real relevant way to return to it once completed (something like a new game plus I guess?). Once you are done I feel like that's basically it.

The campaign is really good, but there seems to be no real relevant way to return to it once completed (something like a new game plus I guess?). Once you are done I feel like that's basically it.

there's out of play area islands, underused islands, hidden play together mode (dunno whether they patch that out or not), campaign mission areas in reverse (uh.. i mean... like bungie did with destiny 1 and 2)

Hmmm? Well, you can still continue to finish "world" content after you finish the main campaign.

As to what comes next? There's still plenty of content that's been hinted at (the "real" enemy). I'd expect that's still at least another 1-2 years off, however. But who knows, maybe they've been working on that during the 1 year delay for Halo: Infinite so perhaps it'll release at the end of this year. I'm sure we'll be hearing about it in the next 2-3 months if that's the case, otherwise I'd expect to hear something about it next year.

The one thing I'm worried about, however, is how are they going to handle "power progression" now that they have that in the game (via armor suit upgrades). I can't imagine making grapple shot even MORE powerful. I guess new powers? I hope they don't resort to something like ... the new enemy strips Master Chief of his suit upgrades and he'll have to go and find all his suit upgrades again type of thing.

Regards,
SB

I've still not started this, mostly because I thought it was be great idea to replay all of the earlier games and I'm now on Halo 3 - started the weekend before last! I can remember next to nothing about Halo 4, which is so weird.

I've still not started this, mostly because I thought it was be great idea to replay all of the earlier games and I'm now on Halo 3 - started the weekend before last! I can remember next to nothing about Halo 4, which is so weird.

Here's my summary for Halo 4 without spoilers. Decent gameplay despite some bad gameplay design choices and a story I wish I could forget. :p Only good thing about Halo 4 was Thomas Lasky.

Regards,
SB

Hmmm? Well, you can still continue to finish "world" content after you finish the main campaign.

As to what comes next? There's still plenty of content that's been hinted at (the "real" enemy). I'd expect that's still at least another 1-2 years off, however. But who knows, maybe they've been working on that during the 1 year delay for Halo: Infinite so perhaps it'll release at the end of this year. I'm sure we'll be hearing about it in the next 2-3 months if that's the case, otherwise I'd expect to hear something about it next year.

The one thing I'm worried about, however, is how are they going to handle "power progression" now that they have that in the game (via armor suit upgrades). I can't imagine making grapple shot even MORE powerful. I guess new powers? I hope they don't resort to something like ... the new enemy strips Master Chief of his suit upgrades and he'll have to go and find all his suit upgrades again type of thing.

Regards,
SB

They'll probably do both. Like destiny 2.

Strip powers, New powers.

Better hurry up as you wont find anyone to play with
Looking on steam charts, for a totally free multiplayer game its doing very sad (reviews were so positive though)
14. Destiny 2
110. Halo: The Master Chief Collection <- wait you have to pay money to buy this so how come its doing better than the new game
164. Halo Infinite <- no money required anyone can download and play (I in fact did for a few minutes, I was in this desert town, shot a bag of rubbish only for said bag of rubbish to just ignore the bullets like nothing happened, acceptable in 1992 but not 2022. Welp I'm outta here, uninstall)

I got spun the tale even though graphically and technically yes its a turd, but the gameplay is amazing, hence the good reviewscores.
My question is why for chiefly a very fun multiplayer game are not more ppl playing this totally free game?

Looking on steam charts, for a totally free multiplayer game its doing very sad (reviews were so positive though)
14. Destiny 2
110. Halo: The Master Chief Collection <- wait you have to pay money to buy this so how come its doing better than the new game
164. Halo Infinite <- no money required anyone can download and play (I in fact did for a few minutes, I was in this desert town, shot a bag of rubbish only for said bag of rubbish to just ignore the bullets like nothing happened, acceptable in 1992 but not 2022. Welp I'm outta here, uninstall)

I got spun the tale even though graphically and technically yes its a turd, but the gameplay is amazing, hence the good reviewscores.
My question is why for chiefly a very fun multiplayer game are not more ppl playing this totally free game?
Well, it has arguably less content than any Halo game did on release, updates have been glacially slow, and there is no progression system apart from Battle Pass. Also there are issues with the netcode/melee registration.

None of these things are issues with the core gameplay, though.

Edit: Also in Social, you are matched up with Xbox gamers, so there should be no issue getting games there, no matter what happens on Steam.

Last edited:
14. Destiny 2

Some major issues with the game in terms of sync/melee registration and cheating. Not knowing which one is happening will turn off most players.

people didn’t know this at first, but over time discovered it as people were getting increasingly frustrated at dying when they should not be etc.

then there is content and progression.

... Also there are issues with the netcode/melee registration.

None of these things are issues with the core gameplay, though.

netcode/melee is definitely core to the gameplay. The game was very promising when it launched for free in November. The problem is a lot of the issues were apparent, and it became clear very quickly that it would be a long time before anything was fixed. The game is definitely salvageable. It just hasn't been salvaged yet.

I wonder, if they add new campaign missions but with full multiplayer matchmaking enabled, like destiny 2 strikes, maybe it can grab the attention of more players?

I wonder, if they add new campaign missions but with full multiplayer matchmaking enabled, like destiny 2 strikes, maybe it can grab the attention of more players?
They are so far behind in content. They need co-op. They need more maps. They need to fix core hit registration issues. Melee and sync issues. They need to remove cheaters.
Complete lack of custom game options.

destiny is well ahead in this regard. And so much of the content is of course; PVE based. The PVP options in destiny is pretty dire; but they force you to play it to get loot.

netcode/melee is definitely core to the gameplay. The game was very promising when it launched for free in November. The problem is a lot of the issues were apparent, and it became clear very quickly that it would be a long time before anything was fixed. The game is definitely salvageable. It just hasn't been salvaged yet.
By "core gameplay" I meant the gameplay balance. As in the way the game has been designed is fine; it's just the wrappers around that, that are the problem.

They are so far behind in content. They need co-op. They need more maps. They need to fix core hit registration issues. Melee and sync issues. They need to remove cheaters.
Complete lack of custom game options.

destiny is well ahead in this regard. And so much of the content is of course; PVE based. The PVP options in destiny is pretty dire; but they force you to play it to get loot.
Presumably the campaign level designers are still working on new content independently of the multiplayer designers, so when the technology platform becomes ready (eg. co-op, co-op matchmaking hopefully), they can slot it in.

By "core gameplay" I meant the gameplay balance. As in the way the game has been designed is fine; it's just the wrappers around that, that are the problem.

Presumably the campaign level designers are still working on new content independently of the multiplayer designers, so when the technology platform becomes ready (eg. co-op, co-op matchmaking hopefully), they can slot it in.
This part I'm not sure what's going on with 343i on. I would expect this as well. If their engine and level designer is the cause of all these issues. They really need to let this engine go. Content generation and gameplay iteration is a core a component to success for a game like Halo. Graphics are clearly not the main appeal.

343 has the same "problem" as Bungie with Destiny 2 and their Tiger Engine.
It's all based on their old-ass Blam! Engine from Halo 2(?) + tweaks.
I'm not sure if it's a tech debt issue, or there needs to be some massive core re-engineering. But it's a mistake imo. Especially when you see what's being done with UE5. I'd just switch over imo.

I'm not sure if it's a tech debt issue, or there needs to be some massive core re-engineering. But it's a mistake imo. Especially when you see what's being done with UE5. I'd just switch over imo.

There were sunk cost fallacy probably.

Although with how bungie has been openly wrestling with Destiny 1 and 2 engine, 343i should already know the struggle they'll get with halo infinite engine

Be a little optimistic! If Unreal can overcome their technical dept, mostly, then 343i can too! :D

Anyway, if they change technology they should be going with id Tech or IW Engine (which I suppose is id Tech3 derived anyway).

Back