Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

I still haven't listened to season 1 yet, but just downloaded a compiled version from soundcloud. It is over 3 hours long.

I'll listen to it tomorrow...maybe in 1 take.

Just finished hunt the truth Season 1...really really good.
For those interested, the pre-season and Episode 0 is out now as well.

Seems like cutscenes will render at 1920x800 (21:9) and 30 fps. That's great, make those look as beautiful as possible. I really like the look of those two missions, very open level design and seems fun

I don't think it's 60fps. YT might display that for frame rate but the actual unique frames are displayed at 30fps IMHO.

Cinematics look good, a lot sharper compared to H4. Game's also nice... about 5 weeks to go, right?

Game looks fantastic! I'm relieved that i don't need to cancel my pre-order lol.

Are we establishing an equivalency for less p = more awesome of gameplay? :yes:

Game looks fantastic! I'm relieved that i don't need to cancel my pre-order lol.

To be honest it looks like the better Halo in quite a while to me (not so much the E3 showing but these last few videos), i don't currently have an X1 but i would gladly rent one just to play this. I am planning on getting one in the near future so i won't be missing this, just hope the online has strong legs and survives more than Halo 4 did.

To be honest it looks like the better Halo in quite a while to me (not so much the E3 showing but these last few videos), i don't currently have an X1 but i would gladly rent one just to play this. I am planning on getting one in the near future so i won't be missing this, just hope the online has strong legs and survives more than Halo 4 did.
Yea I feel the same way, though I didn't hate H4 because i enjoyed the narrative, but it did lose a lot gameplay wise from H1. This is a really great return to form and some.

I watched the video by Kinda funny Games.

Stuff I never liked about Halo (having plays 1-4 & ODST, not REACH):
  1. Same boring enemies. The little cute guys who sound like Umpa Lumpas, the shield guys, etc. They need enemies that are more .. impressive? Give me some blood, something to know my bullet hit.
  2. No aiming down the sights (non-snipers). Is this true still? No T2 to aim T1 to shoot? No Headshots/Precision/Crit that are so satisfying in games Destiny? Gunplay is what makes a shooter fun.
  3. Guns. Most of the alien stuff is bad, it was bad in H1. Purple and green blobs and lights. The military guns are great, but then you run out of ammo and are forced to ditch your favorite rifle.
Story is fine, not that I ever pay attention. Music is great, graphics and environments are good. But its never really fun to shoot things, constantly ditching your gun, shooting the same cute aliens over and over.

Yea, Halo could use newer enemies for sure, I agree with that. They've changed them a bit it looks like, so the enemies have a bit more variation than before. The ADS (Aim Down Sights) is left optional, so they don't penalize your accuracy for not using it, traditional Halo players will likely not use it except for when zooming is seriously required (DMR for instance). But there are headshots and they are a key element to Halo, as that is what generally separates good from bad players.

I agree about the Alien weapons not being as good, or feeling as good, but they look like they have better combat feel this time around.

Halo and Destiny felt largely the same to be 'gunplay' wise. The only major difference is that Destiny's guns all have more and more personality to them (and variations) , the enemies - not so much. Most are rebadged/reskinned versions of the Vex, Hive, Fallen, and Cabal. Having said that it lines up pretty well with Covenant, Flood, Brutes, and Forerunners. Almost lines up too well. The only difference is that Halo has been running these races for some time now, where you've only played 1 Destiny game. You might get bored of it if you see the same enemies in Destiny 2 --- but I doubt it.. lol it's a solid loot drop, great combat mechanics game.

I imagine for H5 there is 1 unannounced race, I'm going to take a stab and say the Prometheans. You could also be fighting UNSC/ONI as well this time around.

Had to double check Destiny since I haven't played in a while, but something I didn't notice until now is also the lack of blood. Instead blood is replaced by numbers! lol H5 is lacking blood or something that would make the combat feel better when the enemy is hit.

Last edited:
Halo (MCC) feels so weird to me now after so many hours with Destiny, specifically the non-aim down sights aspect. Feels stone age weird. I'm hoping the adjustment wont take too long so that I'm actually able to enjoy Halo 5...

I dont know, something about H5 is not sparking for me. Maybe it looks sterile, the colors seem wrong almost like there's chromatic aberration.

That little bit of green grassy area they showed looked nice though.

Last edited:
Can confirm! Blood in Bloodborne made the game a hell of a lot more satisfying :D
21142296129_3a9a319dd9_o.jpg

But i guess both Bungie and 343 are going for lower ESRB rating?

Had to double check Destiny since I haven't played in a while, but something I didn't notice until now is also the lack of blood. Instead blood is replaced by numbers! lol H5 is lacking blood or something that would make the combat feel better when the enemy is hit.

Blood or not there is visceral feedback, heads popping off, electricity shooting out, etc. There are three enemy "races" all with different feedback. It feels good to shoot and take them down, no matter how boring their design is.

Stuff I never liked about Halo (having plays 1-4 & ODST, not REACH):
  1. Same boring enemies. The little cute guys who sound like Umpa Lumpas, the shield guys, etc. They need enemies that are more .. impressive? Give me some blood, something to know my bullet hit.
Halo 1 is one of the bloodiest shooters out there. Reach also has extremely good feedback, albeit less blood.

No aiming down the sights (non-snipers). Is this true still?
Halo 5 is implementing ADS-style visuals, and scoping for previously non-scoped weapons.

No Headshots/Precision/Crit that are so satisfying in games Destiny?
??????

Halo has always had headshots. Some weapons can't headshot, but it's been a major part of Halo's gameplay since the beginning.

Guns. Most of the alien stuff is bad, it was bad in H1. Purple and green blobs and lights.
Blobs and lights serve critical feedback purposes in campaign gameplay. Large projectiles with substantial trailing mean you can easily make out positions and velocities of dangerous stuff, and thus dodge it and whatnot, even at 30fps.

I actually think the addition of little point lights to small projectiles has had a negative side-effect of making their movement look choppier, since the lights don't benefit from the same built-in velocity indicators as the direct projectile graphics.

Last edited:
Yes Halo 5 is the first one to be teen supposedly.

But yeah, this and Destiny are so alike it's kind of ridiculous.

Halo 5 is implementing ADS-style visuals, and scoping for previously non-scoped weapons.

Nice, that was my number one turn off. I always felt like I was just placing the circle reticle on the enemy and holding the fire button until they dropped. I honestly don't remember any blood in past Halos. I tried to play H4 recently as part of the MCC and just got bored.

Back