Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

I don't recall that. I remember the initial announcement being at E3 then a multiplayer beta in May before the next E3.

Showing off Halo 5 single player should be the news drowning out the others news ;)

At E3 it will not drown out...the likes of Fallout 4, Blops 3, The Division, Uncharted 4, Star Wars Battlefront, just to name a few. Not a bad thing, just the way it is, you cant expect any game to do that.

OTOH they can build up to "world gameplay reveal May 17" or something and get a double dip of hype, with the first one fairly unobstructed. They do not really have to show that much, and it will not diminish that much from the meatier slice at E3, so IMO they do not lose much either. It isn't like Halo at E3 becomes anti-climactic. I think this makes sense for all games and most of them do it now AFAIK.

Just imo. Anyway isn't there some ARG going on now likely to lead to footage before E3?

At E3 it will not drown out...the likes of Fallout 4, Blops 3, The Division, Uncharted 4, Star Wars Battlefront, just to name a few. Not a bad thing, just the way it is, you cant expect any game to do that.

OTOH they can build up to "world gameplay reveal May 17" or something and get a double dip of hype, with the first one fairly unobstructed. They do not really have to show that much, and it will not diminish that much from the meatier slice at E3, so IMO they do not lose much either. It isn't like Halo at E3 becomes anti-climactic. I think this makes sense for all games and most of them do it now AFAIK.

Just imo. Anyway isn't there some ARG going on now likely to lead to footage before E3?

They've already done that with the live action reveals. Basically similar to what they did with previous Halo: 4 and Halo: Reach and I believe Halo: ODST(?). The big reveal will happen at E3, as usual.

Regards,
SB

Golden elites of Halo 2 were a bit more "colourful" than in Halo 1, wearing more sumptuous, ostentatious armours.
You're sure you're not confusing Halo 2's pure gold zealots with the red+gold honour guards? Halo 2's zealots don't have a particularly high degree of flair compared with some of the more interesting elites, like the honour guards and councilors. Actually, their design is a relatively straight port of Halo 1's goldies into Halo 2's art style.

What do you mean? Aren't both things exactly the same so it's technical draw?
Halo 2 on legendary is a cheesefest. It throws some fairly infuriating shenanigans at the player, but they often don't feel like they're challenging me to actually come up with an interesting and reasonable attack plan and execute it with grace.

For instance, think jackal snipers. They kill instantly even if they shoot you in the foot, so (aside from tricking out of the map) you basically have to play a really janky game of whack-a-mole with memorized spawn patterns. Is that a hard process? Sort of, yeah. Is it an interesting challenge for Halo's sandbox? I wouldn't really so say.

Halo 1 has comparatively relaxed damage tables and more projectile. Such things contribute to it tending to be easier, but it encourages more active maneuvering and exciting action-reaction.

Other times you just have to let some battles take place without your intervention, if you don't want to risk dying, are patient and play shrewd, I let play it out several times.
The trick is often to apply a lit bit of fighting in favour of a disadvantaged side. Enemies in a 3-way fight do an optimal job of destroying each other when they're more or less evenly matched.

That's one of the things I loved about Bungie way back in the day. Just how much they were into simulating physics in their games. Back in Myth: The Fallen Lords, lots of people used to experiment with the physics in that game as well. All of this back before it was common to have physics simulations in games (extremely rare back when Myth: TFL came out). Can't remember if they were also doing physics simulations in Marathon.

Regards,
SB
The physics in Halo games are special to that game, but yes, they exist and at a time when they weren't considered very important, the game was kind of revolutionary, I suppose.

By special I mean that they aren't fully realistic, but that's not their intention anyways, right? In the video that @HTupolev has shared, you can see how the Warthogs are used as walls and it's incredible that they don't fall, because as I said the physics are well emulated overall (after the 7 minutes 50 seconds mark).

Another game that I liked for its physics when it came out is Oblivion.
You're sure you're not confusing Halo 2's pure gold zealots with the red+gold honour guards? Halo 2's zealots don't have a particularly high degree of flair compared with some of the more interesting elites, like the honour guards and councilors. Actually, their design is a relatively straight port of Halo 1's goldies into Halo 2's art style.

Halo 2 on legendary is a cheesefest. It throws some fairly infuriating shenanigans at the player, but they often don't feel like they're challenging me to actually come up with an interesting and reasonable attack plan and execute it with grace.

For instance, think jackal snipers. They kill instantly even if they shoot you in the foot, so (aside from tricking out of the map) you basically have to play a really janky game of whack-a-mole with memorized spawn patterns. Is that a hard process? Sort of, yeah. Is it an interesting challenge for Halo's sandbox? I wouldn't really so say.

Halo 1 has comparatively relaxed damage tables and more projectile. Such things contribute to it tending to be easier, but it encourages more active maneuvering and exciting action-reaction.

The trick is often to apply a lit bit of fighting in favour of a disadvantaged side. Enemies in a 3-way fight do an optimal job of destroying each other when they're more or less evenly matched.
I think they are the honour guards, yes, the ones with strident golden crests. I feared the ultras a little more for whatever reason despite their less colourful art, and this is confirmed in Halo Reach., where those ultras are so tough. But Halo Reach elites are the best overall, AI wise, so the challenge is even greater.

Now I can get the picture. I thought Halo 2 was harder to beat because of things like those you mention, although the combat in Halo 1 felt different when I completed Halo 2 first, back in the day. I completed Halo 1 on legendary afterwards, but followed guides and I still had Halo 2 fresh too, I remember following a guide at Gamefaqs (Halo 2 Legendary guide by tomrace) back then, because I had finished the game on Heroic already.

By sheer chance I found the name of those very tough elites in Halo 1. Had I to play nowadays on Legendary again, I am not so sure which game is harder to beat, maybe I will test that before Halo ODST is released...

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Operations_Sangheili

Special Operations Sangheili

Co-op wise, there is no denying Halo 2 is harder to beat. The other day I was talking to a friend online and playing Halo 4 coop on Legendary and we talked about the fact that Halo 2 is so hard on legendary (co-op) because if one person dies, the players have to restart at the last checkpoint.

In fact that doesn't change in the Halo 2 anniversary edition at all... compared to the original Halo 2.

I'd rather comment something curious and it's that after reading an article about IGN and the games they scored with a 10 to date, I realised that the only Halo that IGN ever scored with a 10 is Halo Reach.

Halo 2 was the first Halo I played and it amazed me a lot, but the best Halo, which had the more imposing AI, flanking you, managing to instigate fear in you, and with the best designed elites, is Halo Reach, at least to me.

Will Halo 5 be the next Halo scored with a 10 at IGN?

That's a curious choice. I can see how Reach is the most accomplished Halo game in some people's eyes, especially considering the gameplay itself; even though the story and the characters fell like they didn't really match up to the goals that Bungie probably had in mind. Not that any of it is bad, it's just not such a good execution compared to the other games, which had a narrower focus but lived up to those ambitions a lot better.
However Reach wasn't really revolutionary in any way, it hasn't set standards for the genre, it was just simply a bit better in anything that's been done before. Whereas in my opinion Halo CE was quite a big step forward in almost everything - gameplay, multiplayer, even graphics and sound; not to mention launching one of the strongest MS IPs of today. I mean for example, yeah the Elites in Reach are better - but what was there before the H1 Elites that could be compared to them?
I believe the main reason for CE not getting a 10 should be that IGN has failed to fully recognize its achievements. I could imagine them changing their score in hindsight if they were called to do that, but it wouldn't really matter now.

As for Halo 5, I can't see how we could even guess at the eventual rating at this time. Yeah there was a multiplayer beta, but it's probably not enough to judge the final game. There's been a lot of story hints in the marketing material about the story too, but looking at past Halo games it's really not a good indication either - remember the Hero campaign of Halo 3, for example?
However it seems to be quite certain that H5 is going to be really big at E3, lots of trailers and the tumblr site and all. Hopefully it's going to be a full gameplay reveal and we'll learn a lot about what it has to offer. Still, the beta suggests that we can't really expect any huge advances in the visuals (except for 60fps) and I don't really see how any game could revolutionize console FPS gameplay the way Halo CE did back then. So the only way to get maximum scores would be to make literally every single thing completely perfect...

I mean for example, yeah the Elites in Reach are better - but what was there before the H1 Elites that could be compared to them?

The AI in Unreal circa 1998 was at least comparable, IMO, if not better. It was the gold standard for individual unit AI in a shipping product for a long time.

I believe the main reason for CE not getting a 10 should be that IGN has failed to fully recognize its achievements. I could imagine them changing their score in hindsight if they were called to do that, but it wouldn't really matter now.

Agreed, it was such a milestone game. Especially on consoles. But that said. I think Reach was the best "game" of the Halo series. But it wasn't the best Halo. Meaning the game-play in it was the best of any of the games but it didn't have as good a story. And there weren't memorable set piece battles (like the Scarabs from H3, or discovering the Flood for the first time in H:CE). Although now that I think about it. The space battle was freaking awesome. Enough that I wish they had made a Halo game purely around the space combat. So, I take it back, it did have an epic set piece battle deserving of a Halo game. Something Halo 4 definitely lacked. But then Halo 4 was just such a bad game in so many ways, IMO.

Regards,
SB

I dunno, the only example of outstanding AI in Unreal were the rasta monster guys, but most of that had to do with the fast movement and the dodge moves. It never really did stuff like taking cover, had no weak point like the plasma burst + headshot combo, and you weren't able to surprise them from the back.

My most memorable encounter was two Black Elites in the ruins of the Autumn, where I've cornered them into the dining hall (?) - two entrances, lots of cover, no power weapons. Whenever I've tried to go in, they've shot my shields so fast that I was unable to kill one of them, as I couldn't get into a position where I was facing only one. Grenades were of no use either, and so on... In fact, I can't even remember how I've finally been able to get past them ;) Point is, I can't see anything as memorable in Unreal; those guys were just really fast bullet sponges IMHO.

I dunno, the only example of outstanding AI in Unreal were the rasta monster guys, but most of that had to do with the fast movement and the dodge moves. It never really did stuff like taking cover, had no weak point like the plasma burst + headshot combo, and you weren't able to surprise them from the back.

My most memorable encounter was two Black Elites in the ruins of the Autumn, where I've cornered them into the dining hall (?) - two entrances, lots of cover, no power weapons. Whenever I've tried to go in, they've shot my shields so fast that I was unable to kill one of them, as I couldn't get into a position where I was facing only one. Grenades were of no use either, and so on... In fact, I can't even remember how I've finally been able to get past them ;) Point is, I can't see anything as memorable in Unreal; those guys were just really fast bullet sponges IMHO.

Sure, I can see that. The AI was considered a gold standard as it, up to that point and for a long time after it, did the best at recreating what a real person would do in an FPS shooter of the time. Most of which revolved around the pathing routines, shooting like a real player (not 100% accurate, not stupid, giving the illusion it's a player), dodging, etc. And it would actually run when damaged significantly and attempt to heal. Unreal Tournament improved on this a fair bit (bots taking cover sometimes rather than only dodging, for example), but since not many people played with bot matches or the single player "campaign" not many people saw it. And it was still modeled around actual players in FPS games at the time (cover wasn't something commonly used, except when escaping or trying to avoid combat).

For AI that was more modeled around a certain type of behavior, then Half-Life, circa 1998 was another gold standard. There were more varied types of AI there. The flock based AI, unfortunately didn't get much use. But the soldier AI was quite eerie at the time with their ability to take cover, plan coordinated attacks (one soldier would draw your fire while another would attempt to flank you), and actually throw grenades blind based purely on trying to predict where you would be rather than where you last were.

The Halo: CE AI was certainly good and certainly improved upon existing AI in some ways, but it wasn't leaps and bounds ahead of some of the best AI on PC at the time. Granted, best AI doesn't mean common. Good AI was still pretty uncommon, so it does stand out. Although Unreal and Half-Life stood out more, just because AI really was truly horrendous/non-existent before those 2.

Regards,
SB

Although now that I think about it. The space battle was freaking awesome. Enough that I wish they had made a Halo game purely around the space combat. So, I take it back, it did have an epic set piece battle deserving of a Halo game. Something Halo 4 definitely lacked. But then Halo 4 was just such a bad game in so many ways, IMO.

That was a pretty cool cut-scene, flying up into space in real-time. Bungie also know how to do background scenery like few others. I also think New Alexandria deserves a mention as a whole level.

The level that starts with all the vehicles charging at one another wasn't too bad, though I think I enjoyed the scenery more than anything (having the frigates in-atmosphere).

Reach really pushed the sense of scale at times.

And then there's the Falcon section in Exodus flying (albeit on rails) around the city and there's all the fighting happening. Never really felt bored throughout the campaign, except maybe the second level, but otherwise it all seemed fresh for a Halo experience, and just done well.

Last edited:
Yeah I forgot to mention HL's AI. The only thing is that it seemed to be more constrained by the invisible nodes placed by level designers and thus it was more prone to glitch and less easy to trick. It was also less able to communicate its internal state to the player - you could easily see the state changes in a Halo AI's behaviour. Also, Halo AI was good at large open spaces with a few pieces of potential cover, whereas HL focused on smaller interior spaces.

Nevertheless, HL was indeed memorable. Especially when they started to throw all the world's grenades at you :D

That was a pretty cool cut-scene, flying up into space in real-time. Bungie also know how to do background scenery like few others. I also think New Alexandria deserves a mention as a whole level.

The level that starts with all the vehicles charging at one another wasn't too bad, though I think I enjoyed the scenery more than anything (having the frigates in-atmosphere).

Reach really pushed the sense of scale at times.

And then there's the Falcon section in Exodus flying (albeit on rails) around the city and there's all the fighting happening. Never really felt bored throughout the campaign, except maybe the second level, but otherwise it all seemed fresh for a Halo experience, and just done well.

Damn, that's reminding me so much of all the good things that Reach had and made me like it better than Halo 2 and 3. Getting that much closer to starting up that X360 again just to play it again. The scenery of so many levels was absolutely gorgeous and sometimes just made my jaw drop.

I'd kill for 60 FPS version on XBO, or better yet PC (not going to happen :().

Regards,
SB

The AI in Unreal circa 1998 was at least comparable, IMO, if not better. It was the gold standard for individual unit AI in a shipping product for a long time.
The Unreal AI was created in Quake, so to say. The thing is that when I was a kid I had Quake and got the so famous Reaper bot in a PC magazine bundled with a CD.

The Reaper bot was amazing at the time, and I played lots of fun multiplayer games with it. It learnt the map by following the player or moving around, which meant that he became better the more time it played in a certain level, just like a human. I don't remember exactly if the nodes it created to navigate the map where saved in between sessions, tbh (too much water has passed under the bridge since then), but it created nodes, think of a path made of bread crumbs.

I didn't have an Internet connection back then -my first was in 1997- and good AI always impressed me, when it came out it was totally outstanding.

Eventually Epic hired the author of the Reaper bot, Steven Polge and that's how the AI in Unreal was born. I had to say that it never impressed me as much as the original Reaper bot did. Although Unreal's toughest baddies had similarities with the elites of Halo, art design wise.

The AI in Unreal Tournament was also very decent. But nothing like playing Two Towers with humans... I quite remember the story of the Reaper bots and Steven Polge's name because I loved Quake back in the day, its art and everything about it.

I wonder what the flood is going to look like? After the updates to the grunts, it will be interesting to see what they do here.

I haven’t played Halo since the original Xbox… can someone please catch me up on the single player story? A summary perhaps…

^^ YouTube might be best :) to be honest I only ever finished Reach and Halo 4. Still working through 1-3. But I was able to get enough story from wiki and YouTube.

Has anyone been following the HuntTheTruth marketing campaign? This last Sunday was insane!

Halo CE: You find a giant space hula hoop and then blow it up after space zombies spread.
Halo 2: New armour, Covenant find Earth, you find a new Halo, there's a giant space plant that talks, Civil War within the Covenant - elites vs brutes, Cortana is captured by space plant, return to Earth because "Ark" can remotely activate Halos.
Halo 3: Chief descends from the heavens, Covenant are invading, messages from Cortana, allied with Elites, go through a portal to the Ark, find a replacement Halo under construction, Space Zombies spread again, kill Prophet of Truth, activate incomplete halo, Chief goes missing
Halo 4: 30 seconds of fun buttons, an ancient evil awakens, overdesigned sound effects, corridors, bloom, fanatical elites, teleporting enemies, asshole Captain, eggheads, alien weapons are just reskinned human weapons, QTE boss fight.

Halo 3 ODST is out for those who purchased the Halo The Master Chief Collection in the early days.

They sent me a message via Xbox Live with the typical code. It's the only Halo I've never played and now at 60 fps...

Last edited:
Back