Halo 4

Can't wait! I like Master Chief based story lines than the spin offs with ODST and Reach.

Agreed. And I really hope they kept 4 player coop. I want the return of 4 player against epicly larger enemies ala Scarabs. As fun as Reach was the lack of epic sandboxes never drew me back into more play throughs.

I also hope to God that there's no Flood in this game (or other such "propel-themselves-directly-at-you-with-damn-near-impossible-speed-and-explode" enemies). I don't want such lazy enemy design to ruin another great game. (I remember THAT LEVEL of Halo 3 and I shudder with loathful disgust)

Are we even sure we are going to fight the usual suspects (Flood, Covenant)
It was my understanding that Halo 4 picks up the story right after Halo 3. And the last thing we see in Halo 3 is Master Chief going in to cryosleep, and telling Cortana to wake him when she needs him. The ship he was on was cut in half after a portal closed with the ship only half way thrue. So I guess he could be stuck in another galaxy. We also see a planet in the background, and I think this was speculated to be a Forerunner Shield World or maybe the Forerunner Homeworld.. But maybe I remember incorrectly.

But the ViDoc do show Cortana waking up the MC.

Anyway, I guess we will know more as the release date closes in.

After reading the first book in the Forerunner trilogy, I dream of fighting the Forerunner's and there Ancillas. :)

http://www.halopedian.com/Ancilla

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently four or five years have passed since Halo3. They're also hinting at some internal conflict with regards to humanity, saying that now they have a narrative reason for red and blue spartans fighting each other.

Agreed. And I really hope they kept 4 player coop. I want the return of 4 player against epicly larger enemies ala Scarabs. As fun as Reach was the lack of epic sandboxes never drew me back into more play throughs.

I don't know why they're being so coy about it, but they did mention that "everything you'd expect from Halo will be there" in response to coop/split-screen.

I do wonder how they will handle 4p co-op this time considering Chief is alone. Will players 2-4 be Chief clones? Spartan IVs? Something else? Different armour abilities?

Apparently four or five years have passed since Halo3.

It's 5 years, which makes sense. ;) (2007 -> 2012)

Apparently four or five years have passed since Halo3. They're also hinting at some internal conflict with regards to humanity, saying that now they have a narrative reason for red and blue spartans fighting each other.

Awesome! I mean, in the military, we never did color based war games :p

I cannot wait for their explanation for respawning randomly on maps :p

The only way I'll play this is if the introduce interesting boss battles and completely new enemies. I've had enough of the enemies form the previous games.

Looks like a different choice of art style than Reach. Reach had a softer colourful painted look to it (Maybe in part from the framebuffer, temporal AA and different blur effects softening the image).

It actually looks a lot more colorful than Reach, but I agree that it's also different. Far, far more detailed for a start, even though that game wasn't simple either.

The thing with the Flood is that it's origins are one of the greatest unexplained parts of the Halo universe. Sure, sometimes the mystery is better than getting disappointing answers, but there is always a balance between the two.

Also, in case someone isn't aware about it, there's been two new books and another to come that are apparently dealing with these aspects of the backstory, namely the Flood and the Forerunners. They're also using Halo 4 concept art as their covers...

Ehh, if you read the expanded fiction then you pretty much know where the flood originated from. Read the Forerunner trilogy. Its just the first two books that are out with the last one expected early next year.

This very video talks about how they want to move more of their storytelling into the game instead of expanded universe merchandising stuff. I personally never really found the few licensed books I read to be as well done as the games themselves so I usually don't bother with them much.

It actually looks a lot more colorful than Reach, but I agree that it's also different. Far, far more detailed for a start, even though that game wasn't simple either.

Yeah, I went and looked at some screenshots and it wasn't as colourful as I remembered. Halo 4 definitely has a different aesthetic.

This very video talks about how they want to move more of their storytelling into the game instead of expanded universe merchandising stuff. I personally never really found the few licensed books I read to be as well done as the games themselves so I usually don't bother with them much.

Yeah but you should read this trilogy, it is written by Greg Bear who is a very good sci-fi author. And before you say that it doesn't matter, don't, because this trilogy was commissioned by 343 themselves so its content are very important to the Reclaimer trilogy.

For example, the other trilogy been written by Karen Traviss already mentioned the Spartan IV program and if you are the type that can connect the dots, it was obvious that the SIVs are going to show up in Halo 4, even the human ship shown in the concept art trailer was mentioned in the book, and frankly I have an idea about how the humans got to the shield world, again, based on these new books, so, no they are important though not necessary to follow the story that is going to be in the game.

For someone like me who is only interested in the singleplayer campaign and the overall fiction of the universe, it means a lot more to me. It is important to note that 343 are trying to create a more cohesive universe and are making sure that there is no conflict and retcons between the expanded universe and the games, but the expanded universe will never be necessary to follow the game but they will be rewarding to those who care that sort of thing. (danmmit, didn't mean to type so much)

Well, maybe I will read some, but I'm kinda totally busy with picking up ME3 tomorrow, and having no idea when I'm actually going to play it with all the work we have for now.
Remember, 4 months left to E3 means crunch mode for some people ;)

No, it's actually quite the opposite. E3 is one thing (well, more than one...) but it'll go on after that, too... let's get back to this later, okay? :)

Yeah but you should read this trilogy, it is written by Greg Bear who is a very good sci-fi author. And before you say that it doesn't matter, don't, because this trilogy was commissioned by 343 themselves so its content are very important to the Reclaimer trilogy.

For example, the other trilogy been written by Karen Traviss already mentioned the Spartan IV program and if you are the type that can connect the dots, it was obvious that the SIVs are going to show up in Halo 4, even the human ship shown in the concept art trailer was mentioned in the book, and frankly I have an idea about how the humans got to the shield world, again, based on these new books, so, no they are important though not necessary to follow the story that is going to be in the game.

For someone like me who is only interested in the singleplayer campaign and the overall fiction of the universe, it means a lot more to me. It is important to note that 343 are trying to create a more cohesive universe and are making sure that there is no conflict and retcons between the expanded universe and the games, but the expanded universe will never be necessary to follow the game but they will be rewarding to those who care that sort of thing. (danmmit, didn't mean to type so much)

:mrgreen: Hi five!

Same here... although i haven't at all enjoyed the story-telling of the past few Halo games (none since Halo 2 actually), I'm happy that this one is being done by a new developer that seems to care about the SP campaign and the quality of the narrative.

I haven't personally read any of the EU stuff. All i've seen were the animes, which weren't very good imho, although they were useful to me in understanding abit more about the world and universe (a heck of a lot moreso than the past few games).

I did like the aesthetic representation of the forerunners in the anime. They looked pretty awesome, and I do hope they look that way in H4 if and when you encounter them.

This very video talks about how they want to move more of their storytelling into the game instead of expanded universe merchandising stuff.

This is more than welcome news. I always felt Bungie really dropped the ball with regards to storytelling. Very interesting universe, but the games did a poor job of telling anything. The first game was ok with that imo and it felt natural that some questions are left for the sequels, but they never delivered and what little story was left for the games felt like a mess to me (multiple visits to earth etc.)

I really hope that they manage to do more than talk with Halo 4. Gameplay has always been great.

:mrgreen: Hi five!

Same here... although i haven't at all enjoyed the story-telling of the past few Halo games (none since Halo 2 actually), I'm happy that this one is being done by a new developer that seems to care about the SP campaign and the quality of the narrative.

I haven't personally read any of the EU stuff. All i've seen were the animes, which weren't very good imho, although they were useful to me in understanding abit more about the world and universe (a heck of a lot moreso than the past few games).

I did like the aesthetic representation of the forerunners in the anime. They looked pretty awesome, and I do hope they look that way in H4 if and when you encounter them.

Well I wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you. The description of the forerunners in the Forerunner trilogy is quite different from the one in the Legends anime. Whatever design they eventually decide to use, I suspect it will more closely resemble the description in the trilogy than anything else, including the original forerunner design by Bungie. Let's just chalk it all up to "artistic expression" eh.

The anime version was not designed by Bungie, as far as I know.
In fact, most of the Halo Legends movies took a lot of liberties with the material.

The anime version was not designed by Bungie, as far as I know.
In fact, most of the Halo Legends movies took a lot of liberties with the material.

That's exactly what I am saying. Bungie had a design, Halo Legends has a different one and the Forerunner trilogy is radically different.

:eek:oh wow...

Guess they'll definitely be different then. Well so long as they look unique and are woven into the game narrative in an interesting way then i'll be happy.

I'd just like to play a Halo game with a satisfying narrative again, so as to give me a more meaningful context within which to wage my war against the enemies of mankind :D

Back