Halo 4

Watched a few campaign segments, gun fights in Reach definitely looked better with its object motion blur, more dynamic lighting especially on muzzle flash and projectiles. The art design is much more attractive in Halo 4 though. I honestly don't see what's so impossible to pull off here?

I'm a bit confused as to what purpose the Forward Unto Dawn short videos is supposed to serve. What exactly does a group of spoiled, privileged UNSC brats at a military academy have to do with Halo 4? I'm already sick of this Laskey a-hole. If he shows up in the game as an NPC, I'm gonna frag him just on principle. So far, this whole thing seems like a serious misallocation of resources on MS/343's part.

The Halo 3 and Halo Reach short videos were much better at getting me hyped for the game.

He does show up in the game:

300px-Thomas_Lasky,_2557.png

The live action miniseries is obviously about how the brat turns into a good soldier.

Watched a few campaign segments, gun fights in Reach definitely looked better with its object motion blur, more dynamic lighting especially on muzzle flash and projectiles. The art design is much more attractive in Halo 4 though. I honestly don't see what's so impossible to pull off here?

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that we are hearing over and over again that 343i has failed to have any technological improvements--only glaring downgrade grenades--to MS's flagship franchise.

Major Fail MS/343i. Major. Fail.

It'd be cool if there was object motion blur in Reach, but I don't think there is. Just the TAA ghosting and camera blur.

This has to be a joke post because the graphical fidelity of H4 is much, much better than Reach by a wide margin..

From yt video that I saw, there are still guns that have muzzle flash, and projectiles that cast dynamic ligths, but they are toned down. It also has no mb, but ditching that is the best thing they could do. MB in Reach was rather bad. Than again, its crisper, levels are more detailed (especially rocks) and art is significantly improved. Everything just fits together well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're really downplaying Reach by that line. In my opinion 4 does look better than Reach, but not by a margin and not always.

Considering that I've played Reach much more than you have, I'm not downplaying its visual fidelity at all.It's definitely a nice looking game but Halo 4 really does look much better.

From yt video that I saw, there are still guns that have muzzle flash, and projectiles that cast dynamic ligths, but they are toned down. It also has no mb, but ditching that is the best thing they could do. MB in Reach was rather bad. Than again, its crisper, levels are more detailed (especially rocks) and art is significantly improved. Everything just fits together well.
What gets me the most is the muzzle flash lighting is toned down so much that it doesn't even illuminate the body of the AR, it just feels empty and weak now. The deferred lighting in Reach was really much better implemented. But I agree, 720p native does make some big difference here too.

Back