Halo 4

I don't know. I'm not really feeling the Forerunner enemies so far. They seem like just mechanized versions of the Elites (Knights), Buggers (Watchers), and Grunts (Crawlers), only with less personality than their Covenant counterparts.

There isn't much cooperation between different species of the Covenant in the games - Grunts get scared and run away if you kill the Elite that leads them, and in ODST the Engineers were providing overshields for the Brutes around them.

Here the Knight can spawn a Watcher that can provide a shield to it, catch grenades and throw them back, and can even resurrect a Knight that's been killed. Not sure what the Crawlers can do but there are probably some combined tactics there as well.
I'm also quite sure we haven't seen all of them yet, makes no sense to introduce only 3 enemies in a completely new faction, even the Flood in Halo1 had more variation (spores, carriers and two types of warriors). They're probably holding back on some content intentionally, it worked well for Bungie in the past too...

Game looks absolutely SLICK!!!

I'm getting very excited by the stuff they're showing in the campaign. Finally Halo will get a game with a superb SP campaign and story again :D

I absolutely love the weapons. Best thing about the Halo series imho. I was hoping in the subsequent sequels after Halo CE that Bungie would put more energy and effort into crafting cooler and more crazy alien weapons, instead they put all their focus on the UNSC weapons. I'm happy that 343i seems to get what makes Halo so different to other FPS games. I'm eager to see more.

The only thing I can't shake is that the aesthetics appear far too anime inspired for my liking. Not that that's inherently a bad thing, rather it just seems like too much of a departure from the established and distinctive visual style that Bungie used for the Halo universe. Still though, everything is looing at the tops of its game, so I can't complain at all :D

Gotta agree on the Chief's armor; and I also really like the new, more monstrous look of the Covenant.

Still not really feeling the Forerunners.
Maybe because i read the books and this vision collides with my own fantasy/vision i got from the books.

Chief armor does grows on you maybe the forerunners(Promethean's) will also.

I just watched the second vid doc and I must say the visuals (animation, models, art, technology, scripting, etc) look absolutely outstanding. I won't get in the fan boy pissing match but Halo 4 is clearly one of the best looking games this generation and shows what a competent developers with a 1st party budget can do on the 360.

Looks fantastic.

So, where am I supposed to pre-order this to get whatever BS unlocks?

I just watched the second vid doc and I must say the visuals (animation, models, art, technology, scripting, etc) look absolutely outstanding. I won't get in the fan boy pissing match but Halo 4 is clearly one of the best looking games this generation and shows what a competent developers with a 1st party budget can do on the 360.

Looks fantastic.

So, where am I supposed to pre-order this to get whatever BS unlocks?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...HaloConsole_OnlineGamers_8-2-12_CTA_OrderGame

$25 single use promo code coupon will be delivered via email within 10 days of game release. Offer and promo code not valid on previous orders, cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash or combined with any other offer or promotion. Online and in-store terms may differ. Promo code may only be used for future online purchase and expires on 12/31/2012. Limit 3 per person

I'm gonna use the $25 MS Store code to by some MS points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not really feeling the Forerunners.
Maybe because i read the books and this vision collides with my own fantasy/vision i got from the books.

Chief armor does grows on you maybe the forerunners(Promethean's) will also.

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the Prometheans are some kind of AI constructs developed by the forerunners to be their protectors.

That made them more agreeable to me, as I first thought "why would the most super duper advanced civilisation in the galaxy consist of weird looking mechanised skeletons, flying metal pixies and metal ant/dogs?"... In light of the above explanation it made them make more sense to me then.

Yeah, we haven't seen real, living forerunners yet; although the game's marketing heavily hints that there will be at least some of them...

The novels from Greg Bear describe them as mostly humanoid - until they start to undergo some mutations specific to their caste system, which usually increases their size, changes their proportions, hardens up their skin etc. Also, the warrior caste is considered to be one of the lowest, builders and miners have much more respect.

Yeah, we haven't seen real, living forerunners yet; although the game's marketing heavily hints that there will be at least some of them...

The novels from Greg Bear describe them as mostly humanoid - until they start to undergo some mutations specific to their caste system, which usually increases their size, changes their proportions, hardens up their skin etc. Also, the warrior caste is considered to be one of the lowest, builders and miners have much more respect.

Cheers Laa-Yosh...

Sounds interesting. I'll lookup those novels too :D

I thought we saw glimpses of the Forerunner in the newest making of video, in the concept art for the Promethean Knights, you see a humanoid creature under the powered exoskeleton of the Knights.
Someone also says the "Prometheans aren't robots' (though that probably refers to the Knights and not the Watchers and Crawlers who seem to be AI)

I thought we saw glimpses of the Forerunner in the newest making of video, in the concept art for the Promethean Knights, you see a humanoid creature under the powered exoskeleton of the Knights.
Someone also says the "Prometheans aren't robots' (though that probably refers to the Knights and not the Watchers and Crawlers who seem to be AI)

When they were talking about the Knight visual design and how it came about they mentioned it being some kind of sarcophagus - in relation to the skull-like face, visible when the head opens.

It's possible that the intention is for the Knights to be similar to the servitors of the WH40K universe. In that they are effective cybernetic amalgamations of labotomised human helots/low castes/criminals with robotic or technological elements. Considering what Laa-Yosh mentioned above, that would make a bit of sense.

I just hpe they don't make the actual forerunners look like the engineers off Prometheus :devilish:

When they were talking about the Knight visual design and how it came about they mentioned it being some kind of sarcophagus - in relation to the skull-like face, visible when the head opens.

You can see what i'm talking about at the 2:52 mark
http://youtu.be/-_XqmJGUJ9o?hd=1&t=2m51s

It's possible that the intention is for the Knights to be similar to the servitors of the WH40K universe. In that they are effective cybernetic amalgamations of labotomised human helots/low castes/criminals with robotic or technological elements. Considering what Laa-Yosh mentioned above, that would make a bit of sense.
Yeah, or like the Protoss Dragoons in Starcraft (injured warriors turned into cyborgs)

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the Prometheans are some kind of AI constructs developed by the forerunners to be their protectors.

That made them more agreeable to me, as I first thought "why would the most super duper advanced civilisation in the galaxy consist of weird looking mechanised skeletons, flying metal pixies and metal ant/dogs?"... In light of the above explanation it made them make more sense to me then.

I just finished the first two books in the Forerunner Trilogy by Greg Bear. You get the full shakedown on Forerunner tech and society and exactly what constructs they use. They're OK books, a little random, but the final one isn't coming out until after Halo 4 as it seems it would give some of the story away...

I'm guessing something to do with the Didact, maybe the Librarian (if she's still around), and the Master Builder.

Yeah they're apparently aiming to give more depth to the Forerunners and make them more complex than just another ancient noble race. Rigid social structures, lack of compassion, internal division and even civil war about how to save the Galaxy.

Also
the books describe an ancient space faring human civilization as well, that got into a war with the Forerunners and lost; so they were devolved and banished to Earth as a punishment. Turns out they were fighting the Flood and that drove them to look for new, fertile planets which lead to the conflict.

Yeah they're apparently aiming to give more depth to the Forerunners and make them more complex than just another ancient noble race. Rigid social structures, lack of compassion, internal division and even civil war about how to save the Galaxy.

Sound a lot like Mass Effects' Protheans.

I bought the two Greg Bear books on my kindle app. Will read soon :)

Any other recommendations are welcome ;-)

Back