Halo 4

Sound a lot like Mass Effects' Protheans.

Now that you mention it, yes there are some similarities. However their attitude is pretty different - the Protheans were totally straight about enslaving the rest of the Galaxy and being tyrants and looking down on other species and so on.

The Forerunners however consider themselves to be the noble protectors of everything, helping intelligence to advance and prosper everywhere. They consider war and military to be bad things and they praise the creators of their gigantic constructs to be their best.
And yet they're deciding over the fate of entire species, destroying or devolving them if they don't fit into their expectations, their military power is incredibly destructive, and their greatest achievements are weapons of mass destruction on a galactic scale. So there's this contrast between their view of themselves and the reality.
Oh and the differences between castes aren't just in function, but also in looks, builders and warriors and such look like members of completely different species.

But you're right in that there is a similarity in sort of retconning an element of the fiction, turning the benevolent ancients into something more ambiguous.

Wonder what explanation they'll have for the ancient humans' solution to the Flood problem that the Forerunner couldn't come up with. Psionics? Philip J. Fry? :p

9cef162d_history-channel-alien-guy-meme-generator-aliens-98f63b.jpeg

You were asking for it :)

Wonder what explanation they'll have for the ancient humans' solution to the Flood problem that the Forerunner couldn't come up with. Psionics? Philip J. Fry? :p

There was no solution. The humans never figured it out.

The Flood were not, in the words of the Captive\Primordial\Last Precursor, meant to 'punish humanity'. The time of judgment had come upon the Forerunner. Therefore the Flood 'allowed' themselves to be defeated.

The actual identity of the Captive is still murky. He was indeed a gravemind (albeit unlike others that came after him) but identified himself as the 'last precursor'. In addition he did not physically resemble other graveminds, he was a giant beetle like creature with glittering eyes...

And when the time came for him to be 'executed' he didn't seem to fight it. He welcomed it and stated that misery was truly pleasure.. And his body was apparently breaking apart. One of his arms shattered into dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you read the books? I'd like a second opinion on some of that because the narrative was extremely jumbled.

In particular the Captive didn't make a whole helluva lot of sense in his interactions with the Didact and others. But the parting conversation, from what I understood, greatly troubled the Didact because the Captive was dismissive of the so-called 'success' of the human civilization against the Flood.

He made some reference to the fact that the Flood pulled back due to them not being the Forerunners or something.

Edit: the way the humans, allegedly, 'beat' the Flood was:

"The human leaders decided to take a third of the population and genetically alter them by inserting genes designed to fight Flood biomass and destroy the Flood gene imprints. They then took this third of the population and "fed" them to the Flood. The new genes aggressively killed off Flood bio-matter and destroyed the Flood until the few that survived were forced to escape. They would not reappear for another 9,000 years."

This much I do remember.

Yes, I read the books, but there's a lot of material. (Well, I have other books to keep track of too, not just Halo. I'm probably on my 15th novel of the year at the moment).

I do sort of remember what you're bringing up though amongst a few other things about mister floating light bulb
number2??

Yes, I read the books, but there's a lot of material. (Well, I have other books to keep track of too, not just Halo. I'm probably on my 15th novel of the year at the moment).

I do sort of remember what you're bringing up though amongst a few other things about mister floating light bulb
number2??

I believe so.

Yeah... I'm a bit worried that the story becomes too complicated and geeky to comprehend for ordinary people. Stuff like

how there are apparently two Didacts - the original and the one who's mind his personality took over... It's completely unnecessary and could only confuse players when they introduce the character, assuming they'll try to deal with the issue there. Or maybe one of the two Didacts gets killed in the last Precursor trilogy book or whatever.

Still, this kind of stuff is mostly useless, complications for complication's sake...

Yeah... it got me thinking that they'd try to (needlessly) explain GS' accusation back in Halo CE that Chief hesitated to do what he had done before (activate the rings) with the
genetic memory take-over
, instead of just leaving it to his insanity. It's a twist!
Chief is Didact!
:p I keed.

Yeah... I'm a bit worried that the story becomes too complicated and geeky to comprehend for ordinary people. Stuff like

how there are apparently two Didacts - the original and the one who's mind his personality took over... It's completely unnecessary and could only confuse players when they introduce the character, assuming they'll try to deal with the issue there. Or maybe one of the two Didacts gets killed in the last Precursor trilogy book or whatever.

Still, this kind of stuff is mostly useless, complications for complication's sake...

This already did happen.

Long before the Didact 'takes over' Bornstellar, the original is tortured to death by the Master Builder in the first novel.

This already did happen.

Long before the Didact 'takes over' Bornstellar, the original is tortured to death by the Master Builder in the first novel.

No, as far as I know, in the second book
it's revealed that the original Didact was left on a Flood infected world or Halo or something

Then again I read most of this stuff on wiki sites, it might work better as a book ;)

Didn't Sgt. Avery "Blow the hell of of your alien ass" Johnson have some kind of genetic anomaly that prevented the Flood from body-snatching him? I wonder if it might be distantly related to what you guys are talking about?

Didn't Sgt. Avery "Blow the hell of of your alien ass" Johnson have some kind of genetic anomaly that prevented the Flood from body-snatching him? I wonder if it might be distantly related to what you guys are talking about?

They retconned that as a cover-up for his involvement with the Spartan-I project, but then who knows if he was actually immune with the Flood being able to infect at will or not. :???:

343i should introduce infected Spartan IVs
with armour lock! ಠ_ಠ
*ahem* (H5 or 6, whenever they bring the zombies back).

Borin's syndrome. In what can only be the most retarded plot device ever conjured up to 'save' a popular character who clearly died on screen lol.

It scrambled the signals of his nervous system, thus making him 'unpreferable' to the flood parasites. This still doesn't explain why they didn't use other means of infection, or kill him and harvest his biomass to use for a protogravemind or something.

But Alstrong is right, he was involved with the Spartan I program.

@ Laa-Yosh

I would be curious to see where you read this.. There were a few references to the Didact having been interrogated and summarily executed by the Master Builder. The Librarian says this herself (if I remember right) to Bornstellar as he tries to figure out who he really is at any given moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back