GTA4

GTA4 - how does it rate?

• Total voters
Tried some multiplayer games today..

Why oh why did they leave auto aim in the game? All the games ive seen has been with auto-aimed turned on, which makes the multiplayer ridiculous imo, because it no longer involves any skill, its simply the guy who locks faster (in essence meaning the guy with the lowest ping to host).

Agreed. It also makes shooting out of cars rather pointless. It's easier to stop your car, jump out and shoot with lock-on.

If your talking graphically there then you must have played a different game to me. It looked nice IMO but not even close to the best looking console game let alone other platforms.

The detail and density of detail is very impressive but graphically I wouldn't have put it much above average, if at all.

I mean the whole package but graphics are really good because it has lots of neat effects.Like the lighting,water,animation,physics/and destructible stuff packed all over,even Motorstorm mud type effect that also even leaves foot prints:cool:

Why is it night time 3/4rds of the day?

Seriously. It's like 20 hours of night and maybe 4 of day light.

And you can't see anything at night. I'm left wandering around hoping I run into the door by accident in order to find my way out. At least DOOM III gave you the option of a flashlight!

Not sure what you're referring too, it gets light out very early like 6am, and doesn't get dark until 7 or so.

Plus, you can always go to sleep and wake up in the morning.

Geez, PS3 version of GTA4 is a blurry and choppy disaster. It gives me such a eye-strain I don't think I'll be able to finish it ! "Artistic, soft look"..... yeah...BS !
Simple: R* couldn't make framerate to work so lowered res by 20% and got rid of AA. This of course increased jaggies so they applied horrible blurr to hide it. And by the way didn't have to worry about textures anymore because everything is blurred and out of focus.
But unfortunately framerate is still by 15-20% lower than X360, despite all those PQ cuts.
Then they bought reviews, to lie to people about 'preferable soft look' and better framerate.
If blur is only for certain art look (and not to hide all the crap, and make you short-sighted) then there would be a switch to turn it off like in VC and SA.
Worst picture quality I have ever seen, on any platform !!! End.
Play b3yond....

If blur is only for certain art look (and not to hide all the crap, and make you short-sighted) then there would be a switch to turn it off like in VC and SA.
Play b3yond....

Then why would the blur be the look default in SA + GTA is missing tons of stuff from SA.

Geez, PS3 version of GTA4 is a blurry and choppy disaster. It gives me such a eye-strain I don't think I'll be able to finish it ! "Artistic, soft look"..... yeah...BS !
Simple: R* couldn't make framerate to work so lowered res by 20% and got rid of AA. This of course increased jaggies so they applied horrible blurr to hide it. And by the way didn't have to worry about textures anymore because everything is blurred and out of focus.
But unfortunately framerate is still by 15-20% lower than X360, despite all those PQ cuts.
Then they bought reviews, to lie to people about 'preferable soft look' and better framerate.
Play b3yond....
Great first post! Welcome to the forums! Keep on posting good stuff
icon14.gif

Though, the PS3 version doesn't look that much softer, it's very subtle and hardly makes the game look "horrible blur". Personally, I don't think I could tell the difference.
You seem to ignore that the xb360 made some compromises here and there too to achieve acceptable performance. True, according to eurogamer, it runs a few frames faster in average, but has worse texture pop in, worse shadows and dithered textures.
Different platforms with different strengths, different teams working on the platforms, common goal to make the versions look good and virtually indistinguishable.

The whole pop-in argument is totally overblown. I'm 30 hours into GTA4 (on the 360) and noticed texture pop-in precisely once, in a cinematic. And it was of the "buggy" variety because it'd load, unload, then load again right infront of my eyes.

The only time I notice ugly shadows is when under a train platform during morning...very sparkly shadows. And in gameplay, I've never once noticed a dithered texture -- it's easy to see in 400% screenshots but not in a 30fps game when you're actually playing it...

"The whole pop-in argument is totally overblown."

as overblown as the (apparent) f/r issues...I've certainly seen the popup affect gameplay - a tree popup right in front of you on foot and a lorry (again as you get to it) whilst driving (note these were videos I watched of someone playing).

Were they playing on a pirated disc or on a console without a HDD?

I've seen a couple GIFs of it, but they were all from pirated copies leaked before release.

And all the reviewers that commented on the issue playing final retail builds?

Pop up in the game is fact. You have it you just aren't noticing it.

Auto Lock in multiplayer is LAME!!
I never have it on...

Anybody else use the classic controls??

Last edited by a moderator:
Pop in may be fact but that in itself doesn't make it relevant. Pop in happens in both versions with a higher frequency on the 360. But I never heard anyone desribe pop-in to be a major issue where frequency is so high thats its basically constant.

Watching a short video is hardly a proper measurement to see if something greatly affects gameplay. I've watched a video at the gaf showing screen tear on the 360 during a driving session. The problem is it was located on the very bottom of the screen so when I tried to create it myself while playing, I couldn't. Why? Because its practically impossible to drive at high speeds in GTA while staring at the bottom of the screen.

The center of focus of someone playing a game is way more restrictive than someone watching it. While I've seen pop in of things like trees, poles and mailboxes, I have yet to see a car spawn within a short distance directly in front of me, while Im in the middle of a highspeed chase. Do I think that circumstance of cars popping in right in front of Niko has never happen to anyone playing GTA? Of course not,
but if it was a normal occurence that was widespread it should have happen to me at least a few times.

Just about every complaint outside of the multi player issues isn't going to bother the majority of GTA gamers. Furthermore, the differences between the PS3 and 360 aren't going create two widely different experiences based on platform for those gamers either.

I have noticed occassional texture pop-in on both systems, but it is very infrequent and non-gameplay affecting. Geometry pop-in always seems to be quite distant in both versions. It's definitely never occuring in situations that would affect gameplay.

And all the reviewers that commented on the issue playing final retail builds?

Pop up in the game is fact. You have it you just aren't noticing it.
My comment was referring to texture pop in very specifically. I've seen geometry popin, but nothing remotely close to being distracting let alone gameplay-affecting.

Watching the videos on Eurogamer and Gametrailers and I see consistent type of pop-up of objects in the distance on both platforms.

I never said it didn't exist. I was taking issue with the comment that it is so bad it affects gameplay, which is ridiculous to me.

I'm not a fanboy of any console, just want to have best value for my money. I don't own X360, have always stuck with Playstation brand (currently 17 PS3 games). And I've had really high hopes for GTA4 after all enthusiastic reviews. So I feel dissapointed, because yet again as a PS3 owner I get worse version of a game. Because of this blur and low res, GTA4 is a first game in my over 20 years of gaming that makes my eyes really sore in just a 15 min. Any other game I can play/played for over 8 hours with no health consequences whatsoever.
I wanted to play best quality games, but more than once I've been proven PS3 power is a myth.

I'm not a fanboy of any console, just want to have best value for my money. I don't own X360, have always stuck with Playstation brand (currently 17 PS3 games). And I've had really high hopes for GTA4 after all enthusiastic reviews. So I feel dissapointed, because yet again as a PS3 owner I get worse version of a game. Because of this blur and low res, GTA4 is a first game in my over 20 years of gaming that makes my eyes really sore in just a 15 min. Any other game I can play/played for over 8 hours with no health consequences whatsoever.
I wanted to play best quality games, but more than once I've been proven PS3 power is a myth.

You seem to use the term "worse" as if it implies that the "superiority" of the 360 port is so great that you would have a way better experience (eye strain not included). I believe in reality that is not true.

You sore eyes has nothing to do with the resolution because if you have spent 20 years gaming it means that you spent the majority of your console time playing at a much worse rez than seen by the PS3 version of GTA.

If the blur is killing your eyes you should have invested in a N64 a long time ago, it would have properly prepared you for GTA4. (LOL, sorry)

I know one thing thats an undisputable fact whatever technical problems GTA4 has it no where near as bad as the ones seen in the GTA3 series. If you were willing to put up with the horrible frames and PS1 like graphics for those games then technical issues of GTA4 shouldn't be a big deal other than your sore eyes as you might want to give up on PS3 GTA4 or find a way to relieve the strain by convincing your brain thats its game and not your eyes thats the problem.

When I first booted up GTA4 I thought omg what a blurry mess, I can't believe people say this looks great! But once you start playing the game and things start moving, and the depth of field, lighting and weather effects come into play, the graphics are actually really quite seamless and everything falls into place.

... or find a way to relieve the strain by convincing your brain thats its game and not your eyes thats the problem.

I know it, it's obvious: my brain while being provided with blurred, out of focus picture, automatically tries to rectify it with the use of eye's muscles to achive proper sharp vision. It is natural mechanism, any eye doctor can confirm it. And that prolonged situation like this will result one become short sighted. But how to 'switch it off' when playng GTA4 if choppy farmerate is also not helping ?
For me personally game with crispier picture (even if without AA) and smoother framerate (even if by small marigin) is always the superior one. But that's propably only me.
(i.e. I love the PQ of Ninja Gaiden Sigma or Ridge Racer 7).

Back